Josh Kennedy (Wce)

Remove this Banner Ad

He, Buddy and Lynch are a clear top 3 at the moment. They all have different strengths and weaknesses.
Franklin, sure.

But I don't really understand the consensus that Lynch is a star already.

I appreciate that Mike Sheahan's top 50 is by no means definitive and is in part speculative. But he put Lynch at No 8. Isn't that premature?

Kennedy has taken out the last two Colemans but a lot of people seem convinced that Lynch is the more valuable player.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of Suns games but on the raw numbers, Kennedy seems to have him covered. And it's not like Kennedy is just some downhill skiier who gets easy goals. His work rate and defensive hustle is excellent for a key forward.

Kicked 5 against Adelaide and Hawthorn last year.
1 against Hawthorn, 2 against Sydney, 3 against Geelong, 3 against Adelaide, 1 and 2 against the Bulldogs in the other games.

Saw a stat that showed the gulf between his goals against top 8 teams vs. bottom 10 teams and it was pronounced. Still a great player and a top 3 forward, but most of his feasts are against poor opposition.

1 against Hawthorn, 2 against Sydney, 3 against Geelong, 3 against Adelaide, 1 and 2 against the Bulldogs in the other games.

Saw a stat that showed the gulf between his goals against top 8 teams vs. bottom 10 teams and it was pronounced. Still a great player and a top 3 forward, but most of his feasts are against poor opposition.

How often does a player in this day and age kick 5 or more against a top 8 side? It shouldn't be a surprise that a player does better against poorer opposition.

How often does a player in this day and age kick 5 or more against a top 8 side? It shouldn't be a surprise that a player does better against poorer opposition.

Against top 8 sides:
Kennedy 2.9
Lynch 2.6
Franklin 2.2

Against bottom 10 sides:
Franklin 4.2
Kennedy 4.1
Lynch 3.3

Kennedy being more of a flat track bully than most forwards is fake news.

He works harder than the other top key forwards defensively as well. He can fill his boots against bottom teams, but that's because our midfield is spectacular when they have time and space. In contested games he gets very poor delivery.

Kennedy had a higher goal average against top 8 teams than Buddy did last year.

Expands on Forward Press' point that it is hard to kick goals against the top teams.

And look at Buddy v Kennedy in 2016...

Franklin had 4.2 Goals per game against the bottom sides vs 2.2 against the top.
Whereas Kennedy was 4.1 GPG against bottom sides vs 2.9 against the top 8. Including never being held goalless.

Quinz beat me to it... but shows that out of the "Big 3" Franklin is the flat track bully.

It's not laughable at all if you're basing it on previous years input. Kennedy has a 0.6 per game goal advanatage but Lynch much better contested marking player and up around the ground. Not to mention receiving terrible delivery.

Buddy ahead with JJK and Lynch rated equally for me.
a 0.6 goal a game advantage is handier than 1 extra contested mark per game. That equates to 13 or 14 extra goals per season, which is significant. If receiving terrible delivery is something that can be said to back up Lynch, then so can playing against better opposition more consistently for kennedy.

Kennedy also provides a lot more pressure than Lynch, averaging almost twice as many tackles per game, and is a more accurate kick for goal.

doesnt every big forward have a field day against s**t teams? The stats show that Kennedy is hardly alone in this matter. Franklin is a better all around player for sure but Kennedy as a pure forward is amazing and pretty accurate to (after a couple of bad years.)

Never understood the flat track statement myself. Has any forward kicked a bag against Sydney recently?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he does win his 3rd Coleman this year it puts him in rarefied company, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett Snr, Lloyd and Buddy are the only players to have done that in the modern era and only Ablett has won 3 in a row.

Kennedy strikes me as an example of what you can achieve by being a solid 7/10 or 8/10 in basically every category without being freakishly good at anything.

He would be classed as good/very good at marking on the lead, contested marking, gathering it at ground level, kicking accurately on the run/from standard set shots/around the corner/from outside 50 and at exerting forward pressure. His work rate is top notch and he's been extremely durable and consistent for many years now.

I think this year at his absolute peak, and with a mature midfield in front of him, he will kick 90+

Last edited:
If he does win his 3rd Coleman this year it puts him in rarefied company, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett Snr, Lloyd and Buddy are the only players to have done that in the modern era and only Ablett has won 3 in a row.

Kennedy strikes me as an example of what you can achieve by being a solid 7/10 or 8/10 in basically every category without being freakishly good at anything.

He would be classed as good/very good at marking on the lead, contested marking, gathering it at ground level, kicking accurately on the run/from standard set shots/around the corner/from outside 50 and at exerting forward pressure. His work rate is top notch and he's been extremely durable and consistent for many years now.

I think this year at his absolute peak, and with a mature midfield in front of him, he will kick 90+
I think that's part of the reason he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves, buddy is better on the run and at ground level and lynch is better in a pack situation, whereas kennedy just excels at just about every single aspect of being a key forward without being the clear number 1 in any of themy besides maybe marking on the lead and his set shot kicking, which isn't seen to be as flashy.

doesnt every big forward have a field day against s**t teams? The stats show that Kennedy is hardly alone in this matter. Franklin is a better all around player for sure but Kennedy as a pure forward is amazing and pretty accurate to (after a couple of bad years.)

Never understood the flat track statement myself. Has any forward kicked a bag against Sydney recently?
I thought he has always been accurate. He has surely always been near the top of the league, at least for 5 years or so?

Best genuine KF in the comp.

But people take Buddy for how he can do more around the ground. Not so much his actual KF prowess but his ability to dominate in a flanker type role.

Best genuine KF in the comp.

But people take Buddy for how he can do more around the ground. Not so much his actual KF prowess but his ability to dominate in a flanker type role.
Yeah, alot of it is media ejaculation over Buddy. If Kennedy played for Hawthorn or Collingwood they'd be gushing all over the shop.

Going into a final, who do you want?

The answer is clearly Buddy. I actually rate his 2014 GF as his best performance in a final, if Sydney were even halfway competitive that day he was ready to rip that game apart. He was on, and it was no coincidence that it happened to be the biggest game of the year against his old side. Even with no help, he kicked 4.

Kennedy is a star, but he can't go with Franklin in finals time.

Going into a final, who do you want?

The answer is clearly Buddy. I actually rate his 2014 GF as his best performance in a final, if Sydney were even halfway competitive that day he was ready to rip that game apart. He was on, and it was no coincidence that it happened to be the biggest game of the year against his old side. Even with no help, he kicked 4.

Kennedy is a star, but he can't go with Franklin in finals time.
Today, right now.

Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back