Toast Retirement: Josh J Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 at the very least, nudging top 5

Peter Matera
Dean Cox
Chris Judd
Ben Cousins
The clear top 4 for mine

Would be in contention for that 5th spot with Jakovich and probably others I'm forgetting
Jakovic amd Guy McKenna were both noms (but not selected) for the AFL Team of the Century, amd Dean Kemp was a Norm Smith medallist. Kennedy definitely behind all them.

So underated this guy and always a joy to watch goes about his business quietly then you look at the match results kicks a bag of goals. Watch the game against the blues this year in Perth and still showing his class. Still maintain eagles won that trade between blues.

He was always a messy looking young man. The George Harrison of the Eagles. Scruffy and bedraggled. Pulling down thunderous marks and straight kicking. I don't recall any obnoxious behaviour...perhaps once Paul pissed him off when he wanted him to retake a guitar section, he walked out but was back in time for the 2018 finals series.

By all accounts he was a wonderful team player, he kicked stacks of goals, often clutch. Some say his 2 tracks on Abbey Road were the best of the lot. It's up for argument, but there is no doubting he knew where and how to lead, and finish off others' play with precision and little fanfare.

Enjoy retirement big man.

In the biggest game of his career he stood up and kicked 3 crucial goals.

Lucky to have had his services.

What a legendary performance, for an all time top 20 goalscoer, to kick 8 in your last game.

But AFL.com ranks it the 2nd highlight of the round, behind a pies 11th win a row.

Great player . . . I hate the Eagles but love JK - he is an inspiration - one of the nice guys in footy

Absolutely one of the best FF in his time. He goes into that Category with Hawkins and Riewoldt, and just a rung below the greatest ever in Franklin. WC the absolute winner of that trade with Carlton. His value to WC was worth more than Judd to Carlton.

Where does he rank in terms of Eagles greats?
Top 5 for me:
1. Chris Judd
2. Peter Matera
3. Ben Cousins
4. Glen Jakovich
5. Josh Kennedy

What a legend of the game is Josh Kennedy. Leaves one of his grandest performances for the final game of his illustrious career. He finishes his career in 21st place, on the all-time goal kickers list just behind Peter Hudson. He will forever be one of my favourite players and will go down as a better player than my favourite player ever, Jarryd Roughead. In my opinion, he will go down as the best key-forward of the last 15 years whose name isn't Lance Franklin. Thanks for the memories, Josh Kennedy.

Last edited:
I wish we could chuck stem cells into his knee and play a couple more years. Easily the best set shot in our club and an accurate snap with right or left foot.

I cant believe hes retired tbh. Were only 35 years old our club but the highest goal kicker for the Eagles has retired and leaves a giant hole in our forward line :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish we could chuck stem cells into his knee and play a couple more years.
LimpExcitableFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

Interest now is in the club leading goalkicker. He has 37, a six goal lead on Darling (31) with two to play against stiff oppo. JJK going for 8th, Darling for 5th (which draws him equal 3rd with Phil behind JJK & Sume). 2020 shortened season aside, last time we had a sub-40 leading goalkicker was Phil (38) in 2005 (also a final season). Sumich (33 in 1997) and Glendinning (73 in 1988) also won leading goalkicker in their final season, so this would be the 4th time that has happened.

Ah yes the severe underrating of Richmond players continues. Jack should be behind Nick in that list. Can’t believe you are saying he is just a little better than Walker.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
For starters Tredrea was a far better player than Jack. Separate to any discussion about whether he's better than JK.

Well Jack beats him Coleman’s, smashes him in club leading goal kickers and career goals and out scored the whole GWS team in the 2019 GF. He also was a prime factor for his clubs 3 flags compared to 1. So yeah maybe take off your interstate goggles.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jack has kicked 28 more goals than JK, but played 30 more games. Two of Jacks Colemans came with a total of 65 goals, the lowest goal total for a coleman medalist since the 60s. Only totals lower have been the last two years of covid. The best attribute that Jack has over JK is his availability, barely missed a game in his career. Would be interesting to see how that would have changed if he'd played for the Eagles and had to travel as much as JK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back