Scandal What's each clubs biggest scandal over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

SmAshmoto

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Valentino Rossi, Melbourne Stars
Post your suggestions below, we'll fill the blanks in and make a combined list

Adelaide: Kurt Tippett
Brisbane: Sackings
Carlton: Salary Cap
Collingwood: Collingwood against Muslims/The Rat Pack
Essendon: doping
Fremantle: Ross Lyon
Geelong:?
Gold Coast: Harley Benell
GWS: Lachie Whitfield
Hawthorn:?
Melbourne: Tanking
North Melbourne: Carey vs Stevens
Port Adelaide: drink driving
Richmond: steroids
St. Kilda: Stephen Milne
Sydney: Buddy Franklin "mental illness"
West Coast: 2006 Premiers/drugs
Western Bulldogs:?

Last edited:
MAYBE the IV Drips we used during 2002/2003? Does the GH5 qualify as a scandal? Or how we dumped Voss?
Yeah the IV drip one was a big one.

Also was it leaving you guys or the Bulldogs where Aker had a massive shitfit?

Not sure about Richmond, maybe that player who got done for steroid use back in the 90s but that was before my time so I can't really say.
For Collingwood maybe Alan Didak and the rat pack?
St Kilda would surely be the schoolgirl

Yeah the IV drip one was a big one.

Eh, sort of blended into his whole time towards the end with us and the end of the Bulldogs time.

#kebabgate.

Ooh yeah, this one...

Both. He wasn't selected at Brisbane for questioning the coach, then was sacked by us late in 2010 :oops:

20b1dp4.jpg

A quick microphone count suggests this was a pretty big deal

Last edited:
Would think the slight exodus we had in 2014 would be our biggest drama over the years. Griffen/Boyd etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggestions for OP's original blanks below
Brisbane: Fev sacking
Collingwood: Didak and Chris Hudson
Essendon: Supplements
Fremantle: possibly stealing Lyon? God these guys are tame
Geelong: Thompson and Kent Kingsley

Gold Coast: Harley Benell?
GWS: Whitfield
Hawthorn: players' medical records being stolen/tuck
Melbourne: tanking

Port Adelaide: genuinely tough
Richmond: Martin chopsticks
St. Kilda: Milne
Sydney: COLA

Western Bulldogs:Libba

GWS is clearly Whitfield/Lambert & co.

For Richmond - dunno, nothing too bad (Justin Charles was the steroid boy). It could have been the John Pitura recruitment IF certain Richmond higher-ups had their way. Back in the 70's, club memberships were in the 4-8,000 range. The Swans wouldn't sell us Pitura. It was discussed (unofficially), that if Richmond identities bought a couple of thousand South Melbourne memberships, we could force South to trade him to us. That would have been fun:D:D.

We eventually got Pitura anyway, and he was rubbish.

Post your suggestions below, we'll fill the blanks in and make a combined list

Brisbane:?
Collingwood:?
Essendon: Supplements
Fremantle:?
Geelong:?
Gold Coast: Harley Benell?
GWS:?
Hawthorn:?
Melbourne:?
Port Adelaide:?
Richmond:?
St. Kilda:?
Sydney:?
Western Bulldogs:?
Did you begin watching football the last couple of years?

For Collingwood it would have to be racism.

We have incidents involving a racist president (against Goodes), racist fans (against Winmar) and racist player (against Long)
Going back to McAllister as well

Updated OP.

Collingwood I'm divided between the assorted misdemeanours of the Rat Pack and the Collingwood against Muslims banner.

Brisbane I just put "sackings" after dubious/unpleasant handlings of Fev, Aker and Voss' sackings. Was also debating the Rockliff captaincy.

St. Kilda I've put Stephen Milne. It was that or the schoolgirl which stand out most to me.

Freo I put the sketchy hiring of Ross Lyon

GWS is Lachie Whitfield avoiding drug tests

Melbourne is the alleged tanking saga. Something also sticks in my head about something involving an old Jewish guy? My memory escapes me though.

Port I put players drink driving. Byron Pickett ripping a car in half and legging it, then Jarman Impie's recent incident.

Sydney, I couldn't think of much. So the controversy over the Buddy Franklin mental illness issue sits there. Given the questions that he wasn't playing for other reasons, as raised by some people.

Updated OP.

Collingwood I'm divided between the assorted misdemeanours of the Rat Pack and the Collingwood against Muslims banner.

Brisbane I just put "sackings" after dubious/unpleasant handlings of Fev, Aker and Voss' sackings. Was also debating the Rockliff captaincy.

St. Kilda I've put Stephen Milne. It was that or the schoolgirl which stand out most to me.

Freo I put the sketchy hiring of Ross Lyon

GWS is Lachie Whitfield avoiding drug tests

Melbourne is the alleged tanking saga. Something also sticks in my head about something involving an old Jewish guy? My memory escapes me though.

Port I put players drink driving. Byron Pickett ripping a car in half and legging it, then Jarman Impie's recent incident.

Sydney, I couldn't think of much. So the controversy over the Buddy Franklin mental illness issue sits there. Given the questions that he wasn't playing for other reasons, as raised by some people.
Really? You're seriously putting the actions of those anti-muslim dickheads onto us as a club? You do realise it was a publicity grab and not associated with Collingwood in anyway? They also done the same stint at a West Coast game with the same banner except the "go pies" was replaced with "go wce".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...bers-kicked-out-of-subiaco-for-banner/7313756

7313776-1x1-700x700.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back