Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

27 umpires a weekend plus the reserves, goal umpires, boundary etc its just basic statistics at least one of them will be corrupt
Nah we are Australian we are whiter than white corruption only happens in other countries

Doubt it has anything to do with the outright winner market (ie Cripps). Much more likely to involve one of the more exotic markets that ended up having a winner at bolters odds, hence why there’s plenty of speculation around that it was Karl Amon topping Port’s voting at odds of $151.00 that was the leaked market.

AFL on the take with gambling companies anyway. Probably brush this under the carpet.

View attachment 1553916
I'm thinking the opposite - they want to make sure that the betting companies are winning so they keep the sponsorship up, that's why they crack down on players' gambling, can't have an even playing field with the corrupt gambling organisations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking the opposite - they want to make sure that the betting companies are winning so they keep the sponsorship up, that's why they crack down on players' gambling, can't have an even playing field with the corrupt gambling organisations.
Exactly! I'd be amazed if it was even the AFL that initiated the investigation. I suspect a couple of bookmakers (most likely the league's "official wagering partner") might have tapped them on the shoulder and suggested they look into it.

Doubt it has anything to do with the outright winner market (ie Cripps). Much more likely to involve one of the more exotic markets that ended up having a winner at bolters odds, hence why there’s plenty of speculation around that it was Karl Amon topping Port’s voting at odds of $151.00 that was the leaked market.
I was listening to sen the next day and taking some kind of perverse pleasure in Amon killing Whateley's annual brownlow multi (aka donate your hard earned to the bookmakers that fund his show). I distinctly remember Gerard saying Amon was such a massive outsider that you couldn't actually bet on him...

I was listening to sen the next day and taking some kind of perverse pleasure in Amon killing Whateley's annual brownlow multi (aka donate your hard earned to the bookmakers that fund his show). I distinctly remember Gerard saying Amon was such a massive outsider that you couldn't actually bet on him...
1668398693011.png

Which umpire and what games did they umpire?

Well the arrested people were 27, 29, 31 & 31 so that narrows things down slightly.

An AFL field umpire is believed to have shared Brownlow votes from multiple rounds, which led to a series of bombshell arrests on Monday.
The umpire was one of four people questioned by police and released. He is expected to be charged on summons.

The AFL was alerted after Brownlow night that there had been suspicious betting activity on multiple games and called in police.

It’s understood the umpire questioned officiated in all of those games.

The umpire, who is not high profile, is currently on leave but is expected to be stood down.

The AFL is not aware of the alleged motive of the umpire, whether he shared the information to make money himself or as a tip off to mates.

Four people, including an AFL umpire, have been arrested over suspicious betting activity around the AFL's 2022 Brownlow Medal votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back