Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hardie said it was about a round and the umpire said he gave 3 points to a certain player, and they bet on it, I'm not sure if you can bet on Brownlow night for each round but I'm guessing it was something like that, he also said Cripps Brownlow was legit, nothing wrong there.

I imagine its a case of a umpire telling his mates who will get the three votes in a game, I wonder how it all unravelled. Also I 100% believe this happens way more than we think.

Probably, where these guys likely ****ed up is placing 3/4 random, successful bets at $10+ odd for each game for large amounts with no other bets to attempt to hide the suspicious activity.

Brad Hardie said it was about a round and the umpire said he gave 3 points to a certain player, and they bet on it, I'm not sure if you can bet on Brownlow night for each round but I'm guessing it was something like that, he also said Cripps Brownlow was legit, nothing wrong there.

You can bet on each individual game as to who receives the 3 votes.

Karl Amon in some of the games he polled 3 votes for instance was $70+ and $20+ odds. A few very large bets on those games, for instance, would stand out massively to betting providers as suspicious.

Karl Amon in some of the games he polled 3 votes for instance was $70+ and $20+ odds. A few very large bets on those games, for instance, would stand out massively to betting providers as suspicious.
you can also multi different games together at certain books, doing that you might get $1K+ odds

Yep it will be all centered around Amon I reckon.

Only takes 1 umpire to say I gave Karl the 3 Brownlow votes that game even after he barely touched the ball and is paying massive odds to get the 3 votes for that game.

Wish the umpire in question could of told me. 🤣🍻

From what little info we have, the umpire only leaked the tallies. It doesn't say that all the umpires were in on it throwing bogus votes around.

Have you not seen 12 angry men? Just takes one person with an agenda to sway the outcome.

I’m not saying that’s what happened, but the point is that it very well COULD have

Doubt it has anything to do with the outright winner market (ie Cripps). Much more likely to involve one of the more exotic markets that ended up having a winner at bolters odds, hence why there’s plenty of speculation around that it was Karl Amon topping Port’s voting at odds of $151.00 that was the leaked market.

But there is the possibilty that umpires can deliberately give votes to players that shouldnt get them as then there will be bigger odds for them to poll and cash in on.

Yep it will be all centered around Amon I reckon.

Only takes 1 umpire to say I gave Karl the 3 Brownlow votes that game even after he barely touched the ball and is paying massive odds to get the 3 votes for that game.

Wish the umpire in question could of told me. 🤣🍻

You’re telling me!

And by large bets, even $200 would likely stand out massively compared to the typical volume they would see on a player at those odds in a typical game

On SEN, the bloke that broke the story (help out a brother here peeps) mentioned it wasn't the odds of the bet that raised concerns, it was the betting habits of the blokes (confirmed they were all men) that raised suspicion. If you normally put five dollar bets and suddenly drop 10 grand, suspicions get raised. When all of your mates do the same thing and splash it over social media and it turns out you're close friends with an AFL umpire - well, join the dots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found a list on the umpire association website - only 35 field people were listed as being field umpires in an AFL game in 2022. Their ages aren't listed, but wouldn't be too hard to work out who is 27, 29 or 31, I suspect their name will come out pretty soon.

I wonder what triggers a suspicious betting activity alert. How likely is a false positive? How was this traced back to an umpire from that point?
Would be fairly easy. Have to register your full legal name when you sign up so it would be easy to trace it back from that angle.
Suspicious betting activity would be a spike in the size of the bet I assume. If you're a $5 & $10 style punter and then out of nowhere drop $5k, that would cause some warning on their system I would assume. Especially if its on something with longer odds.

I wonder what triggers a suspicious betting activity alert. How likely is a false positive? How was this traced back to an umpire from that point?
1. Blokes that don’t bet much or never have and randomly plonk a massive amount of cash on something paying big odds.

2. Not likely.

3. They know the identities of the people that placed the bets and under investigation happen to find out they are friends with an AFL umpire.

Not hard really and everything leaves a trail and all social media does is make it easier not to mention the use of mobile phones etc and Police can see everything if they dig deep enough regarding phone calls and text messages even if you have deleted them from your own device as everything is recorded on your service providers log.

You need to watch more TV shows like Forensic files and Unsolved Mysteries! 😁

Went & analysed the rumoured umpires games in 2022 and these are the ones that stood out:

R1 - Jiath
R11 - Powell-Pepper
R15 - Amon

Would love to find the odds on each of these if anyone has that data available. From memory, none of these were favourites.

Age & location mentioned in the article also fits the description of said umpire.

Went & analysed the rumoured umpires games in 2022 and these are the ones that stood out:

R1 - Jiath
R11 - Powell-Pepper
R15 - Amon

Would love to find the odds on each of these if anyone has that data available. From memory, none of these were favourites.

Age & location mentioned in the article also fits the description of said umpire.
Was the same umpire involved in all these games??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back