NO TROLLS Former Geelong player suing club over gang rape

Remove this Banner Ad

It says the man is now in his 50’s and played under 19’s in the early 80’s but left the club not long after the alleged assault by 3 older players.

A former Geelong footballer has accused a trio of players of a historic gang rape as he sues the Cats for failing to protect him from sexual abuse.
The ex-player claims he was just 15 or 16 when he was cornered in the shower at the club’s Aberdeen House, a residence for country recruits, and sexually assaulted by three older athletes in the early 1980s.

The man, a prominent Indigenous Elder now in his late 50s, filed Supreme Court action against the Cats this week for a trial by jury, claiming the club had a “duty to take reasonable care of his welfare, safety and supervision” while he was living at the football house as a minor.

“My client has shown a lot of courage and strength in coming forward about his abuse,” said Arnold Thomas & Becker lawyer Angela Di Carluccio.

“He is a proud and well respected Indigenous man who has fought hard in his life to overcome his trauma and to contribute positively to his community.”

Ex-Cats player sues club over alleged gang rape, failing to protect him from sexual abuse

The Geelong Football Club is being sued by a former footballer who claims he was gang raped by three older players at a Cats’ residence for country recruits.

A former Geelong footballer has accused a trio of players of a historic gang rape as he sues the Cats for failing to protect him from sexual abuse.
The ex-player claims he was just 15 or 16 when he was cornered in the shower at the club’s Aberdeen House, a residence for country recruits, and sexually assaulted by three older athletes in the early 1980s.

The man, a prominent Indigenous Elder now in his late 50s, filed Supreme Court action against the Cats this week for a trial by jury, claiming the club had a “duty to take reasonable care of his welfare, safety and supervision” while he was living at the football house as a minor.

“My client has shown a lot of courage and strength in coming forward about his abuse,” said Arnold Thomas & Becker lawyer Angela Di Carluccio.

“He is a proud and well respected Indigenous man who has fought hard in his life to overcome his trauma and to contribute positively to his community.”

The former sportsman, who does not wish to be named, had played for the club’s Under 19s side but left the game soon after the alleged assault.

In documents before the court, he claims the Cats were “vicariously liable for the abuse” because they employed the three alleged perpetrators.

Those three players have not been named in the writ, and have not been added as co-defendants.

“(Geelong FC) placed senior players in a position where they had authority, power, trust, control and the ability to achieve intimacy over the plaintiff, which afforded them the opportunity to abuse (him),” the document states.

“The Plaintiff was vulnerable by reason of his age, displacement from family and dislocation from his home.”

The writ, which has been served to the club, also alleges that Geelong FC failed to protect minors from abuse, to separate minors from adults at Aberdeen House, to supervise the house parent and provide channels to report incidents.

As a result of the alleged assault, the ex-player claims to have suffered a psychiatric injury that led to a loss of earnings and earning capacity, and medical and like expenses.

Ms Di Carluccio said the Cats had “a duty to care for his welfare and safety” while he lived at the property.

“There was a failure to properly supervise Aberdeen House or separate my client from players who were adult men,” she said.

A Geelong FC spokeswoman said the club was unable to comment.

During a recent sale of Aberdeen House, the vendors reported that people in the community would walk up to them and tell them of the Cats’ link to the property, and that they “went to some wild parties here”.

A listing agent selling the home in 2021 told the Geelong Advertiser it was purchased by the club during its 1963 premiership year, and operated as a residence for country players.

The agent said the property was retained by the Cats until the late 1980s or early 1990s, and previously had a unit in the backyard where the house mother resided.

Kind of sad that this has to have a 'No Trolls' tag on it.
Unfortunately that’s where it’s at. This stuff is serious. It takes big nuts to go down this track. You open yourself up to ridicule (he’s just after easy cash) forgetting the trauma that comes with launching legal action. Add in the fact that he’s indigenous and there’s a whole added element. I guarantee you - without knowing anything about this - most people will have a predetermined position in it based upon their upbringing

Strange.
I didn't think Geelong had any first nations footballers in the 80s and early 90s.

I turned 15 in 1983 and turn 55 this year. If he's late 50s and was 15 or 16 when it happened then I'm thinking it must have been '80 or '81
for the ages to fit.

I'm not sure of the set ups in those days but I had mates and contemporaries playing u/19s at Geelong in the '84 to '86 period.

I would have thought for a 15 or 16 year old to be playing u/19s would have to have been an exceptional talent even though it's not that long after Tim Watson started seniors as a 15 year old in 1977. They also used to have u/16 squads and u/17 scholarship squads, but these latter 2 only came together for brief periods, the u/19s were a permanent fixture.

I wonder if it's referring to top age u/19 players or senior/ reserves players?

I remember the crap that went on in the communal showers of my local football club in u/16s, u/18s and reserves / seniors in Geelong and it would definitely be classified as sexual assault today let alone back then.

Strange.
I didn't think Geelong had any first nations footballers in the 80s and early 90s.

Brian Peake was our captain, Rod Waddell uncle to Daniel, Shannon and Steve Motlop, Russell Jeffery played a fair bit of reserves at Geelong and later played seniors at both St Kilda and Brisbane.

Those 3 are all early to mid 80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he isnt named, the ones he alledge raped him arent named, and are not involved in this case or any criminal case?

Have to wonder how it proceed with anything more than his claim that it happened.
I’m sure in the official legal papers they would be named, just in the Big Footy court not named

So he isnt named, the ones he alledge raped him arent named, and are not involved in this case or any criminal case?

Have to wonder how it proceed with anything more than his claim that it happened.

Potentially it's to put the information out there, in the hope that other victims come forward and build a stronger case, and then name names.

Pretty easily

At this stage he’s one out against three with a historical allegation

No witnesses, no crime scene evidence- pretty hard to get a criminal conviction unless the alleged perps want to admit it - likelihood of that…

Civil against the club is the best route of getting an outcome - the question is did they have a duty of care

Unlikely to ever see a court room but in the meantime there will be some hard days ahead for all concerned

I. Hope the club refuses to pay any money.
That way the offenders get deservedly named.
What horrible pigs if true.
Rightly or wrongly it does not work this way - repeat as a historical allegation of sexual abuse the cards are stacked against you - I get that you want to know the who, why and how but in 99% of claims like this where the allegations were likely true they are settled via mediation with a Non Disclosure Agreement featuring No Admissions of Liability…even though a sum of money is exchanged in return for the claim being ceased

There is no statue of limitations with sexual abuse. This matter should have been put to the police before it went to civil trial for some financial gain.
I'm not saying he isn't telling the truth, how would I know, but a matter as serious as this one has to be investigated by the police.

One thing that sits in my mind is that its pretty hard to find three likeminded dudes at one football club who all agree to rape a young boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back