Scandal Barry Cable being sued for historical child sexual abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

And just on that, interesting to note that Jim Krakouer is still in the North team of the Century. Serious player and a bloke who I reckon was pretty naive and taken for ride, according to the Underbelly book I read. I felt pretty sorry for him after reading his story. But nonetheless is a convicted criminal.
David Dench, too.

BTW Cable is bankrupt so the victim is likely not to get any of the money she is owed. If the AFL is serious about respect to women, maybe they can lend the money to Cable so he can pay the victim her due. When he carks it, whatever is owed to the AFL can be taken out of his estate.

This is a big test for the AFL and his other clubs AFL and WAFL, like Rolf Harris he needs to be stripped of every honour

Difference being, Harris was found guilty of criminal offences which have a far higher standard of guilt.

But given other women have also made claims against him, and there may be further successful lawsuits, you do have to wonder what the AFL does.

Where is the line drawn on revoking status?

Does it also mean Ablett Snr has zero chance of ever becoming a Legend?

Yeah not sure the argument 'AFL shouldn't mix off-field with on-field' stuff when it relates to something as serious as this.

We're not talking about someone's political beliefs or a DUI or a scuffle over someone walking on their lawn here.
Being exposed as a Paedophile is something you can't come back from, even in the NRL Brett Finch was only caught saying stuff now no one will go near him with a telegraph pole

Yeah not sure the argument 'AFL shouldn't mix off-field with on-field' stuff when it relates to something as serious as this.

We're not talking about someone's political beliefs or a DUI or a scuffle over someone walking on their lawn here.

Sure but I reckon what most of us are pointing out that there is a certain amount of hypocrisy here. As I mentioned he is a grade A grub and I've got no issue with him being regarded as so. But there are players in various Halls of Fame who have committed crimes (some convictions that are pretty heinous btw). Cable may well be the worst of the lot but the fact remains convicted criminals still remain in the Hall of Fame. Kick the lot of them out if that's part of the criteria.

One of the reasons I put no stock in any Hall of Fame.

Difference being, Harris was found guilty of criminal offences which have a far higher standard of guilt.

But given other women have also made claims against him, and there may be further successful lawsuits, you do have to wonder what the AFL does.

Where is the line drawn on revoking status?

Does it also mean Ablett Snr has zero chance of ever becoming a Legend?
Dont think Ablett Snr will despite being probably the most talented ever, he told a young woman herion was cocaine then let her try it and she died, that's pretty hardcore

Sure but I reckon what most of us are pointing out that there is a certain amount of hypocrisy here. As I mentioned he is a grade A grub and I've got no issue with him being regarded as so. But there are players in various Halls of Fame who have committed crimes (some convictions that are pretty heinous btw). Cable may well be the worst of the lot but the fact remains convicted criminals still remain in the Hall of Fame. Kick the lot of them out if that's part of the criteria.

One of the reasons I put no stock in any Hall of Fame.
It is the reason Ablett and Carey both aren't in there yet. So, it's not a new thing in terms of considering the person. However, there are double standards in relation to those in there already. Pretty sure there's one who is well known as a woman basher.

It is the reason Ablett and Carey both aren't in there yet. So, it's not a new thing in terms of considering the person. However, there are double standards in relation to those in there already. Pretty sure there's one who is well known as a woman basher.

Agree that double standards abound but it is worth noting both Carey and Ablett are in the Hall of Fame. They just haven't been elevated to Legend Status.

Dont think Ablett Snr will despite being probably the most talented ever, he told a young woman herion was cocaine then let her try it and she died, that's pretty hardcore

And watched her die because he didnt want the Ambos to inject him with the drug which kills the heroin effects.

Quite the gentleman.

Always thought Leigh Matthews was a dog for running through Cable but I’m starting to wish he went a bit harder at him during that state game.

Having read the witness statements against Cable 25 years ago i'm shocked it's taken so long.

P.S Replace Jim with Phil Krakouer, polar opposites as far as personality at least he doesn't have convictions for drug trafficking, rape or manslaughter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And just on that, interesting to note that Jim Krakouer is still in the North team of the Century. Serious player and a bloke who I reckon was pretty naive and taken for ride, according to the Underbelly book I read. I felt pretty sorry for him after reading his story. But nonetheless is a convicted criminal.

Described by James Brayshaw this year during commentary as a "great human being". I'm not kidding.

Copped probably the longest sentence for any drug charge in Australian history, served at least 10 years of the 16 or so he copped. In the pantheon of wet lettuce leaf justice that drug charges in Oz usually confer, his was massive. I'm not sure how much history he had with the law before this. But football wise he was peerless.

I have no issue with accolades such as “Hall of Fame” and “Legend” being related to character too.

These aren’t objectively won awards or medals. It’s an acknowledgment of contribution to the game. Contribution to the game is more than just on-field. We should promote off field character too.

No issues at all if Cable gets stripped of status

Copped probably the longest sentence for any drug charge in Australian history, served at least 10 years of the 16 or so he copped. In the pantheon of wet lettuce leaf justice that drug charges in Oz usually confer, his was massive. I'm not sure how much history he had with the law before this. But football wise he was peerless.

I'm pretty sure he'd already done a stint before his long stretch.

Yeah, his history pre the drug stuff is pretty awful reading to be honest. Convicted of sexual assault on a number of occasions. Also convicted of driving causing death. If Cable goes from the North Hall of Fame, so should JK.

Slobbo reporting that the AFL is going to remove this creep from the Hall of Fame, a decision I totally 100 % support.

Does open up a whole can of worms though

Fair enough, but this is happening despite a criminal conviction.

So someone like Ablett who is responsible for the death of a young girl, he should be also removed from the HoF immediately.

Maybe you are right ..

The NFL Hall of Fame still has OJ Simpson up there.

Yep, just blur the lines even more however I don't mind OJ being in the NFL Hall of Fame and maybe most Americans have the attitude that it's on the field which should only matter.

Remove Cable if they want but some people still in have probably done worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back