Scandal Barry Cable being sued for historical child sexual abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

If he’s found guilty/liable for costs or whatever this court case is trying to prove, then they have to remove him from the HoF, as if that’s what really matters.

That’s pretty standard practice, the world over.

You would hope that nobody would actually consider that to not be the 100% suitable thing to do.
You just know the AFL will keep Cable on the HOF but will continually snub Cousins.

I used to worship Barry in the 70s when he came over to North. He was 100% professional at a time most weren't, very courageous and skillful on the field.

This is all very disturbing and reminds me that having heroes is an extremely hazardous activity.

I used to worship Barry in the 70s when he came over to North. He was 100% professional at a time most weren't, very courageous and skillful on the field.

This is all very disturbing and reminds me that having heroes is an extremely hazardous activity.

I was having a discussion with my wife regarding pro-wrestlers (after seeing John Cena being a genuinely nice guy on the news tonight) noting that so many of them were or are awful people "in real life". We moved on to footy where I pointed out that the only reason footballers get jobs is that they are good at kicking a footy. You're right - as I get older I really try and focus on the on-field exploits of players (and the in-ring work of wrestlers) for the very reason you mention - having heroes is hazardous.

I was having a discussion with my wife regarding pro-wrestlers (after seeing John Cena being a genuinely nice guy on the news tonight) noting that so many of them were or are awful people "in real life".

Velveteen Dream a recent example.

Teddy Hart before him.

I was having a discussion with my wife regarding pro-wrestlers (after seeing John Cena being a genuinely nice guy on the news tonight) noting that so many of them were or are awful people "in real life". We moved on to footy where I pointed out that the only reason footballers get jobs is that they are good at kicking a footy. You're right - as I get older I really try and focus on the on-field exploits of players (and the in-ring work of wrestlers) for the very reason you mention - having heroes is hazardous.
I'm also thinking David Dench, and from VFA Freddie Cook. Among many.

I've just lifted my already high cynicism to even higher levels.

There are exceptions. Guys like John Cena seem absolutely genuine as you said. But footy players aren't selected based for being good people (despite hilarious attempts by clubs and fans in recent times to paint them that way). Particularly when a player gets into trouble and supporters of all other clubs weigh in to pontificate about how awful the club / player / culture are, always compared to theirs mysteriously enough. Of course they'll never acknowledge their own skeletons, because each and every club has them.

I remember reading an excellent cricket book years back and the author asked veteran journos how much stuff they didn't print. The result was lots of shaking of heads and even more laughter.

Last edited:
This is a big test for the AFL and his other clubs AFL and WAFL, like Rolf Harris he needs to be stripped of every honour

Yep, first step removing from the legends status in the Hall of Fame (Carey and Ablett Snr should never be elevated to that status for other off field reasons)

From the Age

"The AFL is changing the rules of the Australian Football Hall of Fame to enable the league to suspend or revoke the membership of those who are convicted of indictable offences or have engaged in serious misconduct that brought the game into disrepute.

The change to the hall of fame rules comes as former North Melbourne and Western Australian football great Barry Cable is about to face a civil court judgement on allegations of child sexual abuse, with the Perth district court handing down a decision on Friday."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and should also be removed from the NM team of the century. Not sure who could replace him but probably worth a thought as well.

Might as well put in Harry Sheezel or George Wardlaw in there already :)

NM_5393_2021_TeamOfTheCentury_Graphic.jpg

Pick your emergency people.

Gary Dempsey for me.

Then maybe Jock McCorkell, Kevin Dynon or Matthew Larkin as the last emergency.

NM_5393_2021_TeamOfTheCentury_Graphic.jpg

Pick your emergency people.

Gary Dempsey for me.

Then maybe Jock McCorkell, Kevin Dynon or Matthew Larkin as the last emergency.
Can't comment on Dempsey as never saw him play but of the current day three who join him in the Emergencies King would be the standout for mine. Schwass best at North was better than Kings but in terms of longevity and total production I'd give it to King.

Harvey coming off the bench to replace Cable is an easy one as well.

Yep, first step removing from the legends status in the Hall of Fame (Carey and Ablett Snr should never be elevated to that status for other off field reasons)

A Hall of Fame for Aussie Rules footballers without Barry Cable .... like Ablett Snr, their field performances will not by forgotten for those of us fortunate to see them.

A Hall of Fame for Aussie Rules footballers without Barry Cable .... like Ablett Snr, their field performances will not by forgotten for those of us fortunate to see them.
Dare I say it - it's why things like a Hall of Fame are pretty hollow anyway. I put very little stock in them.

It's enough for me to acknowledge that Cable was an incredible athlete on the field and an absolute rubbish human off it.

Dare I say it - it's why things like a Hall of Fame are pretty hollow anyway. I put very little stock in them.

It's enough for me to acknowledge that Cable was an incredible athlete on the field and an absolute rubbish human off it.

Thats what happens when the game chooses to want influence off field.

And just on that, interesting to note that Jim Krakouer is still in the North team of the Century. Serious player and a bloke who I reckon was pretty naive and taken for ride, according to the Underbelly book I read. I felt pretty sorry for him after reading his story. But nonetheless is a convicted criminal.

Geez, I just assumed Krakouer had been done for his involvement in drug dealing. His conviction list is much darker than that after reading up on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back