Scandal Barry Cable being sued for historical child sexual abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Cable, who resides in Western Australia, has denied the accusations and a District Court civil trial is due to commence on Wednesday. He has never been charged over the allegations.

The matter, and Cable’s identity, have been suppressed by the court since proceedings were first launched in 2019, however the media on Tuesday successfully argued the right to report on the case.

I'm sure this was previously alluded to on BigFooty with a well known past player being under investigation that (at the time) couldn't be named.

Edit: Yes it was

Is it just coincidence in the middle of the story on Fox Footy is a big picture and link to another article on Sam Powell-Pepper!!!

Surely his name gets taken down from Legend Status and the Hall of Fame now ?

You've got Carey, Ablett Sr, Nicholls etc in the hall of fame

If they've lasted then I don't see Cable getting removed

Surely his name gets taken down from Legend Status and the Hall of Fame now ?
Come on Elmer_Judd. Surely you understand that at this stage it's only an allegation. Needs to be proven or disproven before any action is undertaken

It's interesting though that Barry has indicated that he will take no part in the proceedings and there will be no money available if he loses. Not sure if being grump and a curmudgeon is the best defence.

You've got Carey, Ablett Sr, Nicholls etc in the hall of fame

If they've lasted then I don't see Cable getting removed

What Nicholls did simply doesn't compare to what Cable is alleged to have done.

At the very least, if this law suit is successful, he has to be removed from legend status

I'm sure this was previously alluded to on BigFooty with a well known past player being under investigation that (at the time) couldn't be named.

Edit: Yes it was

Yes this one has been around for many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see this going far. Unfortunately for the victim, it's been too long for her to have criminal charges laid, so all she has is a civil claim against a declared bankrupt. It won't even get to court beyond an initial evidentiary hearing to strike it out :(

I don't see this going far. Unfortunately for the victim, it's been too long for her to have criminal charges laid, so all she has is a civil claim against a declared bankrupt. It won't even get to court beyond an initial evidentiary hearing to strike it out :(
The fact that he is bankrupt has nothing to do with whether the case is successful or not.

The case is heard and events found to gave happened or not happened. If the court believes that it happened then bdamages are set. If found guilty it might mean that its hard for the complainant to get anything.

Declaring bankruptcy doesn't get you out of a civil case being heard.

The fact that he is bankrupt has nothing to do with whether the case is successful or not.

The case is heard and events found to gave happened or not happened. If the court believes that it happened then bdamages are set. If found guilty it might mean that its hard for the complainant to get anything.

Declaring bankruptcy doesn't get you out of a civil case being heard.

Obviously not - but it tacitly impacts on whether a court decides to proceed with the action. If the victim isn't likely to see any money it's not worth the court's time, and as a civil matter it won't be considered to be denying the victim justice.

Obviously not - but it tacitly impacts on whether a court decides to proceed with the action. If the victim isn't likely to see any money it's not worth the court's time, and as a civil matter it won't be considered to be denying the victim justice.
Wrong. The fiscal side is just but one side of it.
The courts will appreciate the positive emotional impact this will have on the victims well being .

Being bankrupt will in no way stop a judge from proceeding in this case. No doubt Cable declared bankrupt to deter the victim but it is for her and i am sure she will want her day of acknowledgment.

I don't know if it is the same woman but I read the criminal brief over 20 years ago. Was shocked the police didn't pursue it, but that was pre CCC.
Imo there was enough evidence to charge.
Subsequently met him during the schools football competition where the Cup is named after him and let's just say you wouldn't want him around any young girls.

Sounds like he only applied for bankruptcy last month, sounds a bit like he's trying to hide assets. You'd imagine that he would have memorabilia worth quite a lot alone.

This will absolutely be heard (provided there is some substance involved). The (alleged) victims mother has already lodged a statement..

It would set a terrible example if the court decided not to proceed because someone claimed bankruptcy a month ago.

It sounds as though a few people in power might have made things go away years ago. They might be sweating a bit now.

I think they carve an asterisk next to it.

Carey and Ablett Snr (least in our lifetimes) will (or should) never be elevated to Legend Status in the Hall of Fame, same should apply to Cable and other past great found to have proven to have done (within reasonable grounds of guilt) like Cable has (alleged) to have done.

Mind you, OJ Simpson is still in the NFL/American Football Hall of Fame and he got away with killing 2 people, so who knows ?

Carey and Ablett Snr (least in our lifetimes) will (or should) never be elevated to Legend Status in the Hall of Fame, same should apply to Cable and other past great found to have proven to have done (within reasonable grounds of guilt) like Cable has (alleged) to have done.

Mind you, OJ Simpson is still in the NFL/American Football Hall of Fame and he got away with killing 2 people, so who knows ?
Well he got away with that part but still got done for robbing a dude at gunpoint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back