What the heck? Ken Hinkley in gambling/Greyhound Racing syndicate with players/staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you legitimately trying to argue that an industry which only exists for gambling purposes and is full of scumbags is no worse than say, the hairdressing industry?

What ‘actual’ purpose does the hairdressing industry fulfil? Making people’s aesthetic appearance look different.

At least pick an industry that DOES serve a purpose

Bottom line, greyhound racing is for shitcampaigners.

"Other things are also bad too!" What a s**t argument.
Agreed mate

Greyhound racing is trash. Follow a sport where the participants consent. Animals aren't for your entertainment. You're born a few centuries too late.

Follow a sport where you can legitimately enjoy it without gambling.

Losers.

I'm not talking about you. I don't know you.

I'm talking about grey hound racing....

Even putting all the other stuff aside, what exactly is it you think the animals themselves don’t like about it? They are genetically predisposed to run and that’s what they do naturally. They don’t have jockeys, they don’t run exhorbitant distances, and if their owners treat them well which the majority do, about the cruellest aspect is simply that the lure they’re chasing isn’t real.

Even putting all the other stuff aside, what exactly is it you think the animals themselves don’t like about it? They are genetically predisposed to run and that’s what they do naturally. They don’t have jockeys, they don’t run exhorbitant distances, and if their owners treat them well which the majority do, about the cruellest aspect is simply that the lure they’re chasing isn’t real.
Investigation after investigation has shown that grey hound trainers treat their dogs like absolute s**t. Dogs have been killed, love baiting continues to be practiced. It is a backwards activity.

I'm morally opposed to the use of animals in sport. That's my firm view.

No one would follow animal racing sports without gambling. They don't really care about the well-being of animals. All they care about is making money.

Investigation after investigation has shown that grey hound trainers treat their dogs like absolute s**t. Dogs have been killed, love baiting continues to be practiced. It is a backwards activity.

I'm morally opposed to the use of animals in sport. That's my firm view.

No one would follow animal racing sports without gambling. They don't really care about the well-being of animals. All they care about is making money.

Of course they wouldn’t I’m not saying otherwise. Greyhounds would still exist and want to run, though.

And absolutely there have been examples of them being treated horribly. The same goes for animals kept as pets, however. Like cruelty to pets I think it’s fair to say the people who do those things are in the minority in the racing industry.

Of course they wouldn’t I’m not saying otherwise. Greyhounds would still exist and want to run, though.

And absolutely there have been examples of them being treated horribly. The same goes for animals kept as pets, however. Like cruelty to pets I think it’s fair to say the people who do those things are in the minority in the racing industry.

Wouldn't have thought so, no. I think you're grossly underestimating the amount of shady s**t that goes on in greyhound racing. Look up how many are killed each year and the different enquiries in each state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would argue it's not the minority in the racing industry. I think racing animals is inherently cruel.

We eat animals to survive. As it becomes more feasible and socially accepted, plenty of people are moving to more (or fully) plant based diets.

Racing animals (including the abuse, widespread drug doping, horrid conditions, and often their deaths) are done solely for the entertainment of humans for something to do.

It's a lazy comparison that is only ever used to deflect from the fact that those involved in Greyhound racing are absolute grubs.
Your argument is fundamentally flawed. We obviously don’t need to eat animals to survive.

You choose to eat them, and in doing so you are complicit in the death and mistreatment of hundreds of animals over your lifetime.

Personally the difference for me, is survival vs entertainment. We don't need entertainment to survive.

I'm very against the meat industry. It's rife with waste and shady s**t. Not a fan, but I do enjoy eating meat. I believe we have evolved to eat meat. I go back and forth between periods of going veggo before I cave to weakness and have some meat. I love the s**t. It does leave me feeling conflicted though.

The majority of time I have a discussion with people about greyhound racing my point of view is in the minority. I don't know what the stats on opinion say, but it'd be a stretch to say I'm "afraid of having an unpopular opinion"

It's an "easy" target because it's far more likely people can be persuaded against racing as opposed to against meat.

I don't doubt what you said applies to some people, but it's an unfair brush to paint everyone on the opposing side with.

It's not virtue signalling. It's a belief for some people.
To be honest, you sound similar to me… morally, I can’t justify eating meat, yet i still do it.

And I disagree that we need to eat meat to survive. There are hundreds of thousands of vegans in Australia who are living proof of that.

Once you accept the idea that we don’t need to eat meat (which it seems you sort of do), it follows that eating meat is really little different to racing in the sense that it’s a pastime we engage in for our own selfish enjoyment.

The big difference to me is the scale of slaughter. Billions vs hundreds. If the rights of animals were truly the issue, the racing industry is a low priority, surely?

To be honest, you sound similar to me… morally, I can’t justify eating meat, yet i still do it.

And I disagree that we need to eat meat to survive. There are hundreds of thousands of vegans in Australia who are living proof of that.

Once you accept the idea that we don’t need to eat meat (which it seems you sort of do), it follows that eating meat is really little different to racing in the sense that it’s a pastime we engage in for our own selfish enjoyment.

The big difference to me is the scale of slaughter. Billions vs hundreds. If the rights of animals were truly the issue, the racing industry is a low priority, surely?
Survival wasn't the best word, it's just been ingrained in us for so long. I don't think we do need to. I'm just a shitty person and too weak to stand by certain beliefs when hungry.

Can't really argue against much of what you've said.

If we cut out all emotion and focus on weight of numbers then yes "the racing industry is a low priority". In saying that I have no problem admitting bias or the emotional investment I have in these creatures so the issue stings more in a way.

I also dont think along the lines of we can't fix X because Y is happening and is arguably worse. If you can fix a problem then I don't see why you shouldn't. In my mind it's an easy enough fix. Far easier than tackling the meat industry and our collective addiction to its produce.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. We obviously don’t need to eat animals to survive.

You choose to eat them, and in doing so you are complicit in the death and mistreatment of hundreds of animals over your lifetime.
Well I don't really eat meat, so that argument is a bit lost on me - but I understand what you mean.

But I disagree. Meat's primary purpose is nutrition, that's not really a fact we can argue.

Survival wasn't the best word, it's just been ingrained in us for so long. I don't think we do need to. I'm just a shitty person and too weak to stand by certain beliefs when hungry.

Can't really argue against much of what you've said.

If we cut out all emotion and focus on weight of numbers then yes "the racing industry is a low priority". In saying that I have no problem admitting bias or the emotional investment I have in these creatures so the issue stings more in a way.

I also dont think along the lines of we can't fix X because Y is happening and is arguably worse. If you can fix a problem then I don't see why you shouldn't. In my mind it's an easy enough fix. Far easier than tackling the meat industry and our collective addiction to its produce.
Your last paragraph I get. Annoys the hell out of me when people do that.

What I’m saying is a bit different though. If reducing animal suffering is the end, then there’s a far, far more effective way to focus our attention and resources towards achieving it, and if we’re being honest (as you are) we sort of all know that.

If there’s one cultural practice we engage in that’s responsible for 99.99% of animal suffering in this country, why are we focusing on the one responsible for 0.01%?

Like, what if all Australians against dog racing (that aren’t already vego/ vegan) do three meat-free days a week? Would save literally millions of lives a year and we’d have a better world.

How am I still alive and not malnourished when I haven't eaten meat in almost five years?
You somehow quoted my text but quoted someone else

How am I still alive and not malnourished when I haven't eaten meat in almost five years?

The entire population of Australia is not going to spontaneously decide to reject meat and transition our entire agricultural industry. That's why eating meat is a stupid, brainless comparison to the racing industry.

Your last paragraph I get. Annoys the hell out of me when people do that.

What I’m saying is a bit different though. If reducing animal suffering is the end, then there’s a far, far more effective way to focus our attention and resources towards achieving it, and if we’re being honest (as you are) we sort of all know that.

If there’s one cultural practice we engage in that’s responsible for 99.99% of animal suffering in this country, why are we focusing on the one responsible for 0.01%?

Like, what if all Australians against dog racing (that aren’t already vego/ vegan) do three meat-free days a week? Would save literally millions of lives a year and we’d have a better world.
We do both then.

Focus on all suffering, don't pick and choose but when the topic is on one avenue of suffering I like to focus on that. It's just good conversational practice in my mind.

I'd put good money on racing being banned/removed from society far faster than meat consumption though.

I'm a pessimist at heart. I don't see the meat industry going away. I can foresee a future without racing.

I also dont think if the problem is "animal suffering" you/we can't just go "ok let's end all animal suffering". You need to go through and approach each issue as an individual issue with its own unique circumstances and challenges surrounding it.

Should we be focussing on all suffering? Yes but at some point the conversation is going to shift to the racing industry and we, as a society are going to have to discuss it on its own merits, not compared against other issues.

Talking and acting on one issue doesn't mean a person isn't also invested in similar issues. This thread is specific to greyhounds, and I will continue to gear my ramblings towards them.

The end, for me, is for racing to cease to exist. That end has an impact on the greater end. There's no reason for me not to engage in the discussion as I feel it helps the next discussion.

Again though, I'm not saying you're wrong, I just think you could narrow your focus a bit at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back