Scandal Barry Cable being sued for historical child sexual abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Difference being, Harris was found guilty of criminal offences which have a far higher standard of guilt.
Criminal case - proven to have happened beyond reasonable doubt
Civil case - more likely to have happened than not

The fact that it was litigated as a civil case should not produce doubt that it really happened. The burden of proof is still always held to a high standard.

And when it comes to historical sex offences it is much less likely an innocent person will be found guilty in a civil case than a guilty person found innocent in a criminal case. Which, even though it's messed up from a pure justice sense - is probably a good thing in terms of the justice system out society is built upon.
It's why it is so important to challenge public perception to sexual abuse - to change the culture of people's first instinct being to not believe or to downplay it, and for victims to feel ashamed and to hide it. Because when abuse becomes historical it is very hard to get justice.

I know people who have been on juries and 100% believed the guy did it, but still had to acquit because it could not be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. Again, it's how it should be but it's still ****ed up. I also know people who are victims of childhood abuse that have a gaping hole in their soul and no way to get justice.

Yep, just blur the lines even more however I don't mind OJ being in the NFL Hall of Fame and maybe most Americans have the attitude that it's on the field which should only matter.

Remove Cable if they want but some people still in have probably done worse.
Reading what the Herald Sun put out about his crimes, I would say Cable was much much worse. At least the woman who died of a drug overdose was an adult.

What used to trigger me was Cable was the Ambassador of the Cable Division of schoolboy football.
He was required to handover the Cup to the winning school, as he was doing this he would try to get me and other WAFC staff to get some of the young female students to be next to him when he was presenting. Absolute creep.

Yep, just blur the lines even more however I don't mind OJ being in the NFL Hall of Fame and maybe most Americans have the attitude that it's on the field which should only matter.

Remove Cable if they want but some people still in have probably done worse.
Sexual abuse of a pre teenage child, apart from murder been thrown in on top of that can not think of anything more abhorrent.

Some interesting addendum that's been bought in

The new section that "allows for the AFL Commission to remove any person for conduct which brings the AFL, the Hall of Fame inductee, any AFL Club or Australian football into disrepute" is as follows:

5.12 If a Hall of Fame inductee:

a) engages in conduct which the Commission considers does, or which is likely to, bring AFL, the Hall of Fame inductee, any AFL Club or Australian football into disrepute;
b) is charged with an indictable offence;
c) is found guilty of an indictable offence; or
d) is otherwise engaged in conduct which the Commission considers is prejudicial to the interests of AFL,

The Commission may, if resolved by a three-fourths majority of the Commission, do any of the following:

e) suspend the inductee from the Hall of Fame for a nominated period of time; or
f) remove the inductee from the Hall of Fame.

D.Barrett puts up Carey’s name to replace Cable as Legend. Replace one degenerate with another. Great idea u knob. AFL will probably consider it. Any sense of morals from them lands on whatever the journos decide. Carey ripped a part a club and AFL Fox put him in as their headline act until his grubbiness couldn’t be kept until the carpet further.

D.Barrett puts up Carey’s name to replace Cable as Legend. Replace one degenerate with another. Great idea u knob. AFL will probably consider it. Any sense of morals from them lands on whatever the journos decide. Carey ripped a part a club and AFL Fox put him in as their headline act until his grubbiness couldn’t be kept until the carpet further.

His actions at NM are only half the reason he shouldnt be elevated.

His actions at NM are only half the reason he shouldnt be elevated.

Can just imagine in 50-100 years time when talking about the legends of our game and arguably the two best players ever are not there. Ablett and Carey both not perfect humans but it is a football HOF, Becomes a joke if the best of the best are not there at the end of the day.

Can just imagine in 50-100 years time when talking about the legends of our game and arguably the two best players ever are not there. Ablett and Carey both not perfect humans but it is a football HOF, Becomes a joke if the best of the best are not there at the end of the day.
Yep + cousins. They each seem to be fine now and deserve the recognition for the best highlight package over other members. You cant add mitchell before cousins…. His brownlow has an asterisk…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep + cousins. They each seem to be fine now and deserve the recognition for the best highlight package over other members. You cant add mitchell before cousins…. His brownlow has an asterisk…

Even if you remove the Brownlow, Mitchell's career is still HOF worth easy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back