What the heck? Ken Hinkley in gambling/Greyhound Racing syndicate with players/staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually they’ve done a fair amount on that . Not perfect but heaps of clubs have gone pokie free

————-

My daughter does gymnastics every Monday and my son won’t , so we take a wander next door to the greyhound track on occasion . I can confirm that it’s populated by Woodstock and cola drinking charmless bogans driving early model Hiace vans who probably feed their dogs on roadkill. I got chatting to them and some drive very long distances to race their dogs on a Monday arvo . Weird mouth breathing units .
Coming from Mr cool who posts on bigfooty !!! Hahaha * me you're an absolute loser mate

says the guy also posting on Bigfooty. One thing that guy aint is the guy polishing Dwayne's pipes...'cause that's you.
Lmao was that suppose to be some kind of insult...or comeback....or lmao

* me big footy is Reddit lite

Lmao was that suppose to be some kind of insult...or comeback....or lmao

* me big footy is Reddit lite

Your posting history is a hall of fame of melts haha
You alright?

Scum.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in helping retired racers look into their states Greyhound Adoption Programs.

You can foster the hounds to get them used to normal dog life, you can adopt them, you can volunteer and help out the organisation.

It's all very rewarding and they're the best dogs. They deserve better.

Scum.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in helping retired racers look into their states Greyhound Adoption Programs.

You can foster the hounds to get them used to normal dog life, you can adopt them, you can volunteer and help out the organisation.

It's all very rewarding and they're the best dogs. They deserve better.
Running around chasing prey is a normal dog life. Putting a greyhound in your backyard isnt normal.

Racing greyhounds and greyhounds in general need specific homes and setups to go too and not just any ol persons yard. I generally dislike when a racing greyhound isnt on a farm myself. Its unnatural

The logic and idea from the 1970s was always for a greyhound to retire to a working farm with the farmer paid money to take the dog on. This failed obviously because it wasnt policed in any way but resourcing now exists to do this policing and controls and once again, no one wants to do it because the money is needed to pay douchebags in suits to do nothing

Running around chasing prey is a normal dog life. Putting a greyhound in your backyard isnt normal
Oh great point i guess we just stop offering greyhounds an avenue for love and comfort in their retirement.

They also will only chase in a very short burst out a long day. They aren't endurance animals. They're sprint animals. They spend 20 hours a day lounging around. People I know in the racing industry will say as much.

They don't require a whole bunch of space. Granted I have a good amount of space for them and it is a dream to get some farmland for retired racers, but it's absolutely not a necessity.

Racing greyhounds and greyhounds in general need specific homes and setups to go too and not just any ol persons yard.
I'd argue against this. Vehemently. I'm not saying chuck em in a broom closet, but you're laying it on a bit thick.

Oh great point i guess we just stop offering greyhounds an avenue for love and comfort in their retirement.

They also will only chase in a very short burst out a long day. They aren't endurance animals. They're sprint animals. They spend 20 hours a day lounging around. People I know in the racing industry will say as much.

They don't require a whole bunch of space. Granted I have a good amount of space for them and it is a dream to get some farmland for retired racers, but it's absolutely not a necessity.

I'd argue against this. Vehemently. I'm not saying chuck em in a broom closet, but you're laying it on a bit thick.
You stop offering greyhounds to any douchebag that will take one for sure is what im saying. You need to have a fit and proper setup. They lounge around for 20 hours but when they are not, they are in need of proper space and routine so to speak. You will find most greyhounds that just stay in the backyard without walks etc die very early. Its one dog you need to walk every day for actual health reasons and not just to burn energy

Im laying it on thick for sure because I know the money that gets created vs the amount spent and its a absolute load of crap. Greyhounds do not need to be a basketcase charity setup. They have done the work and provided the resourcing to be beyond that need. Its just that people wont let them take what is rightfully theirs

Also, being dumped in a mass grave with 50+ of your species isn't normal greyhound life either.
Whats that being compared too? You think this isnt true for a kangaroo, a emu, a race horse, a puppy farm, a sheep farm, a chicken farm etc?

No point in singling one animal out of thousands that this happens too. In the end, the industry knows this is crap, the industry has no interest in this. Theirs just a government who refuses to provide support, support thats been paid for .

A random W.A stat/fact also is this. W.A govt spends more money on "saving the endangered black cockatoo" then it does for greyhound re-homing. A black cockatoo is a menace, it isnt endangered in any way and provides zero economic benefit and is infact a economic taker since it kills and destroys so much habitat in W.A

So why protect a bird, but not a greyhound? and dont you think its a question to answer and not ignore cos ABC told us too

You stop offering greyhounds to any douchebag that will take one for sure is what im saying. You need to have a fit and proper setup. They lounge around for 20 hours but when they are not, they are in need of proper space and routine so to speak. You will find most greyhounds that just stay in the backyard without walks etc die very early. Its one dog you need to walk every day for actual health reasons and not just to burn energy

Im laying it on thick for sure because I know the money that gets created vs the amount spent and its a absolute load of crap. Greyhounds do not need to be a basketcase charity setup. They have done the work and provided the resourcing to be beyond that need. Its just that people wont let them take what is rightfully theirs
Can't argue any of that really. My experience with the programs though is that they don't just give them out to any campaigner*, check where they are going etc. Also knowing a shitload of people involved in those programs, they are all highly motivated individuals keen on giving the best to the greys.

Also keeping up to date with a lot of these greys throughout the years, I can't remember the last one that passed well before they were expected to. None of the people involved that I know just chuck the pup in the backyard and say job done. It probably happens, but the love and care in this community easily beats anything else I've ever experienced.

You don't get involved if you don't really care essentially. But arseholes exist everywhere.

I do think calling them a basket case charity setup is a bit much. They're well run groups. It's not about charity, it's just about getting people to care beyond the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't argue any of that really. My experience with the programs though is that they don't just give them out to any campaigner*, check where they are going etc. Also knowing a shitload of people involved in those programs, they are all highly motivated individuals keen on giving the best to the greys.

Also keeping up to date with a lot of these greys throughout the years, I can't remember the last one that passed well before they were expected to. None of the people involved that I know just chuck the pup in the backyard and say job done. It probably happens, but the love and care in this community easily beats anything else I've ever experienced.

You don't get involved if you don't really care essentially. But arseholes exist everywhere.

I do think calling them a basket case charity setup is a bit much. They're well run groups. It's not about charity, it's just about getting people to care beyond the money.
Depends state by state if you ask me. W.As setup is just dumb. Dont even have to give a address, just rock up and take one in some cases ive heard

Not the charities fault either I will say. The govt just dont care

Whats that being compared too? You think this isnt true for a kangaroo, a emu, a race horse, a puppy farm, a sheep farm, a chicken farm etc?

No point in singling one animal out of thousands that this happens too. In the end, the industry knows this is crap, the industry has no interest in this. Theirs just a government who refuses to provide support, support thats been paid for .

A random W.A stat/fact also is this. W.A govt spends more money on "saving the endangered black cockatoo" then it does for greyhound re-homing. A black cockatoo is a menace, it isnt endangered in any way and provides zero economic benefit and is infact a economic taker since it kills and destroys so much habitat in W.A

So why protect a bird, but not a greyhound? and dont you think its a question to answer and not ignore cos ABC told us too
Its being comapred to you saying x is not normal greyhound life or whatever.

Don't watch the ABC so don't get the reference.

Yeah it'd happen in all those industries. Not arguing that, but this is a greyhound thread so forgive me for having a specific focus.

Also dogs are more likely to be rehomed than an emu or whatever you suggested so I just get a little more prickly when I read yet another mass grave story involving greys.

They're not just animals or an avenue to make money for me. They're friends.

I know I sound like a tree hugging hippy, but they're the best dogs I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Depends state by state if you ask me. W.As setup is just dumb. Dont even have to give a address, just rock up and take one in some cases ive heard

Not the charities fault either I will say. The govt just dont care
I'm not familiar with the WA branch but that sounds less than ideal. I'll look into it.

The VIC branch has done magnificent work and has been emulated elsewhere in the world.

Its being comapred to you saying x is not normal greyhound life or whatever.

Don't watch the ABC so don't get the reference.

Yeah it'd happen in all those industries. Not arguing that, but this is a greyhound thread so forgive me for having a specific focus.

Also dogs are more likely to be removed than an emu or whatever you suggested so I just get a little more prickly when I read yet another mass grave story involving greys.

They're not just animals or an avenue to make money for me. They're friends.

I know I sound like a tree hugging hippy, but they're the best dogs I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Im a fan too clearly but I know what I know also. Your life experience and outlook is different to mine since we havnt had that same experience.

Lets look at W.A. In W.A your greyhound must go a "fit" test in order to be re-homed if you take it to the govt facilities. If it doesnt pass said fit test, they put it down (yeah this is a great idea and totally something I wanted my dog to be a part of..) . The laws also state that you must have your greyhound on a muzzle, you must keep it on a lead of X length at all times, you must undergo a training course to take a greyhound on so you can learn about "dog control" etc

Do you think this really leads to a prosperous re-homing setup or no? Do you think this is my fault or do you perhaps think other people are making dumb decisions? In the end I re-homed my dog myself. Ive got no interest in the W.A govt killing my dog cos they dont wanna spend any effort or money keeping him alive and I sure as hell wont accept responsibility when/if they end up in mass graves

Its not the my fault or the racing industries fault any of this.

Hmm…any sources on this?

I’m quietly confident I know more about dogs health than you do (and just a walk every day actually does jack s**t for a dogs health)

Im a fan too clearly but I know what I know also. Your life experience and outlook is different to mine since we havnt had that same experience.

Lets look at W.A. In W.A your greyhound must go a "fit" test in order to be re-homed if you take it to the govt facilities. If it doesnt pass said fit test, they put it down (yeah this is a great idea and totally something I wanted my dog to be a part of..) . The laws also state that you must have your greyhound on a muzzle, you must keep it on a lead of X length at all times, you must undergo a training course to take a greyhound on so you can learn about "dog control" etc

Do you think this really leads to a prosperous re-homing setup or no? Do you think this is my fault or do you perhaps think other people are making dumb decisions? In the end I re-homed my dog myself. Ive got no interest in the W.A govt killing my dog cos they dont wanna spend any effort or money keeping him alive
No I don't think any of this is your fault and I apologise if I worded anything in that way.

WA has different laws to VIC. We haven't been required to muzzle the pups since 2019 I believe. i also dont believe there are leash length requirements.

i dont believe in termination after failing a fit test, i dont believe we do that down here. The greys that fail the tests down here just live on the GAP property from memory.

"Do you think this really leads to a prosperous re-homing setup or no?"
It doesn't sound ideal in WA but it works really well down here.

This'll sound a bit vicbias-y but again the problem seems like WA and not the concept itself.

We're unlikely to ever reach a conclusion to this conversation given our states different methods, and the fact we are situated at either ends of a racers life more or less.

You're not coming across as a *******. You've clearly got care for these dogs.

There are some vicious and cruel bastards down here though.

Too clarify the tax stance a bit better also

Each registered greyhound in NSW generates 13,200 dollars in tax per year and in the region of 80,000 in its life

If you make that much money, do you not deserve the govt to give you a good home?

Too clarify the tax stance a bit better also

Each registered greyhound in NSW generates 13,200 dollars in tax per year and in the region of 80,000 in its life

If you make that much money, do you not deserve the govt to give you a good home?
Yes they do but when the government fails the industry needs to not be so cold.

Yes I can. The govt prevents us from doing better. The laws are clear in this
Ok so not you specifically, but if the government fails a person in the industry they can mass kill dogs, dump them in a ditch and walk away dusting their hands off saying "my hands are clean"?

That person chose to get into the industry, chose to acquire, breed and raise dogs for their gain and then the moment it gets hard they can say "well it's the government's fault"?

They could have chosen not to enter the industry in the first place. They made a choice, they can't just disregard that later. Well they can and do, it's just not entirely moral.

Maybe get out of the industry if it's so broken.

Ok so not you specifically, but if the government fails a person in the industry they can mass kill dogs, dump them in a ditch and walk away dusting their hands off saying "my hands are clean"?

That person chose to get into the industry, chose to acquire, breed and raise dogs for their gain and then the moment it gets hard they can say "well it's the government's fault"?

They could have chosen not to enter the industry in the first place. They made a choice, they can't just disregard that later. Well they can and do, it's just not entirely moral.

Maybe get out of the industry if it's so broken.
What is the alternative or difference in doing that or giving it the govt who is going to kill it anyway

Govt kills the dogs anyway cos apparently 80,000 bucks isnt enough to take care of it

The govt arnt going to kill the industry so the person leaving it isnt much of a difference here.

The question isnt why did X person kill the dogs, its why after providing 80,000 bucks to fund said dogs future, why no clear future is provided for it. If a clear future was provided for it, it wouldnt be put down

Thats the actual problem and solution matrix here. Not passing the buck to the person so the govt can keep rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back