Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Why and how have you come to this conclusion? Genuinely interested.

Given the fact that Pell only umpireHd on Carlton game this season, at the very least he must have had inside information from other umpires, his Intel would have had to impeccible

True story here and nothing to do with this particular scandal.

Might be common knowledge to some but I was shocked when I heard it

A few years ago ( maybe late 2018/ 2019 can’t recall ) I attended an umpiring clinic for our local league and we had Dean Margetts as a special guest

After a couple hours of the clinic we cracked out the beers and got Deano talking about his career and some of the stories

One of them was how Hawthorn used to hold an annual end of season “camp “ on the Gold Coast and invite some of the umpires up all expenses paid , 5 star for a week to discuss “ rule changes and interpretation”

Nearly fell off my chair
Oh and he also declared how he and his wife ( at the time ) were dyed in the wool WC supporters .

Also of note is that he is a compulsive gambler ( common knowledge) .

Anyone joining the dots here ?!
yeah I joined the dots...... a salty freo supporter that's lost a few too many derbys

Given the fact that Pell only umpireHd on Carlton game this season, at the very least he must have had inside information from other umpires, his Intel would have had to impeccible
There’s no suggestion the result was rigged, or changed in any way. Purely that his mates had a perfect record betting on who got 3 votes in games he umpired.

It’s got nothing to do with any other umpire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but do you want an ump like Pell giving votes?
Without knowledge of how the conversations/decision making process goes inside the umpires room it’s hard to say with certainty, but I’d be surprised if 1 could drastically sway the other 2 towards a decision. Pell in particular having such little experience at afl level would presumably have found it even tougher.

It’s a s**t situation but I think the calls for drastic changes to processes around the vote and who does it are reactive and opportunistic from media pushing an agenda.

I also feel for other umpires who don’t do this but are now to be faced with even more calls that they “cheat” and screw fans teams over

Yeah but do you want an ump like Pell giving votes?
Is there any suggestion that the actual vote decision process was manipulated?

Havent seen anything to suggest that?

After the umpires collectively decide the votes - Pell is accused of then telling a few mates who got the 3 in certain games.

That is particularly useful info when you can bet on individual game markets!!

The *?

Unless you’re on a betting exchange, you’re betting against the bookie, so that’s who you’re screwing.

Not sure you understand how gambling works…
I thought bookies balanced their books using shifting prices to control volume to maintain an overround greater than 100% so that they profit no matter the outcome of an event.

Jesus Christ
Came on here and said I knew the guy and tried to implore people to be compassionate and I just get hit with campaigners who want to take pot shots at someone they don't know and without any evidence of what's happened.
Fair enough, I'll * off out of this chat and you guys can continue to bitch and moan.
Hopefully none of you guys make a mistake that gets you in trouble in the future because there's not many out there that won't kick you while you're down.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your conflict of interest is off the charts and you should probably sit this one out and let us punters speculate on how much money the white maggot might of cost us during the year and maybe last year and the year before that . I speculate this isn't his first rodeo .

Or the bet wasn’t on the winner. Which seems to be the case. Have you read any of the articles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back