Preview WB team v Norf Rd 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody concered that the last time we kicked over 120pts was over 1 year ago :O
Low scoring teams like Sydney 2005 and Bulldogs 2016 won flags because their defence was superior

High scoring sides like Norf 1999 have won also, but really, it doesn't really matter how it's done, it's as long as it gets done.

I'd be comfortable leaving Cloke out and perhaps even making that the only change for Smith. 3 pressure acts and 0 tackles, several fumbles and dropped marks. Those are Liam Jones numbers.
Cordy could go back forward as a foil for Boyd and he and Clay could help address our men of mayhem deficiency in F50. Plus Clay can rotate through the mid field far better than Cloke can rotate through the ruck. Don't see much alternative other than to persist with Campbell in the short to medium term and X fingers he lifts. Dunks in too if the medicos don't pass Picko.

Clokes first 2 games were too good for him to be dropped due to one quiet one imo. I'd drop Cordy for Smith and leave the rest unchanged. Clay will bring the heat.

No because the last time we won the flag was 6 months ago ;)
i know that, but that was last season
it isnt sustainable for this season i think, we won too many close games because we couldnt put sides away, it wont happen again with low scores.
i feel if we struggle to kick big scores we wont win the flag.

i know , its only round 4

I'd be comfortable leaving Cloke out and perhaps even making that the only change for Smith. 3 pressure acts and 0 tackles, several fumbles and dropped marks. Those are Liam Jones numbers.
Cordy could go back forward as a foil for Boyd and he and Clay could help address our men of mayhem deficiency in F50. Plus Clay can rotate through the mid field far better than Cloke can rotate through the ruck. Don't see much alternative other than to persist with Campbell in the short to medium term and X fingers he lifts. Dunks in too if the medicos don't pass Picko.

id give cloke a few more weeks. i feel he cant jump anymore and his marking ability i50 is questionable

Clokes first 2 games were too good for him to be dropped due to one quiet one imo. I'd drop Cordy for Smith and leave the rest unchanged. Clay will bring the heat.

id give cloke a few more weeks. i feel he cant jump anymore and his marking ability i50 is questionable
Yeah nah I'm not seeing Cloke working for us long term unless we're dominating possession which we're not. Doesn't bring enough defensive pressure and we need that more now. Clay can't do it on his own but will certainly lift those around him. I'd be happy to revert to what resembles our GF fwd line which worked quite well. I like Cordy's aggressiveness and versatility (can also put up a good fight in the ruck when asked) and I think this is just the sort of occasion to bring those qualities out.

I thought winning a premiership would stop us being so reactionary. I was wrong.

Cloke was good the first two games and is a confidence player. If you drop him you may ad well delist him
It's a personal view of course but the defensive aspect to the game is a non negotiable for mine. 0 tackles and 3 pressure acts over a game just doesn't cut it (personal view). If he was dropped on that basis and then dropped his bundle as a result then yes delist would be a good option (also personal view).

I thought winning a premiership would stop us being so reactionary. I was wrong.

Cloke was good the first two games and is a confidence player. If you drop him you may ad well delist him

Agreed. People take a while to fit into the structure, and we're still figuring out our best team. Currently performing poorly in terms of winning the contest and getting first use of the ball, so our forwards are going to struggle a little bit. Fix the problem at the source and then give him some time to see how he is going.

Agreed. People take a while to fit into the structure, and we're still figuring out our best team. Currently performing poorly in terms of winning the contest and getting first use of the ball, so our forwards are going to struggle a little bit. Fix the problem at the source and then give him some time to see how he is going.
That's true but it doesn't address the defensive aspect of the argument which is what is he doing when he doesn't have the ball and we don't have the ball or the ball is in dispute I50.

That's true but it doesn't address the defensive aspect of the argument which is what is he doing when he doesn't have the ball and we don't have the ball or the ball is in dispute I50.

Understand that, it needs to be improved. I thought he did a few 1%er's against Freo (from observation), but haven't been watching the stats too closely.

i know that, but that was last season
it isnt sustainable for this season i think, we won too many close games because we couldnt put sides away, it wont happen again with low scores.
i feel if we struggle to kick big scores we wont win the flag.

i know , its only round 4
Kicking high scores are irrelevant if by playing that way you concede higher scores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep let's drop Cloke. A guy we brought over from another club that was getting no support from his coach and to that end destroyed his confidence after one bad game that the whole team was rubbish in.

And let's do that against a really tall team we have struggled against in the last few years.

And let's do that and move Cordy forward to replace him who has been worse than Cloke for 3 games.

Yep let's do all that and think that will work Coz it did last year.

Dear god in heaven

Understand that, it needs to be improved. I thought he did a few 1%er's against Freo (from observation), but haven't been watching the stats too closely.
It's my observation that we're not locking the ball I50 and given our current supply in terms of volume and quality it's my view that our ability to do that (lock I50) takes on more significance/importance. I accept that he fits in terms of the offensive structure but I think he's a defensive trade-off that perhaps is not balancing it out. I might think it's worthy of discussion but as always, of course, Bevo knows best and I accept that also.

Yep let's drop Cloke. A guy we brought over from another club that was getting no support from his coach and to that end destroyed his confidence after one bad game that the whole team was rubbish in.

And let's do that against a really tall team we have struggled against in the last few years.

And let's do that and move Cordy forward to replace him who has been worse than Cloke for 3 games.

Yep let's do all that and think that will work Coz it did last year.

Dear god in heaven
Yes , we may need his divine intervention.

It's my observation that we're not locking the ball I50 and given our current supply in terms of volume and quality it's my view that our ability to do that (lock I50) takes on more significance/importance. I accept that he fits in terms of the offensive structure but I think he's a defensive trade-off that perhaps is not balancing it out. I might think it's worthy of discussion but as always, of course, Bevo knows best and I accept that also.

That could mean that we need to configure our side slightly differently to get the best out of Cloke, but minimise his weaknesses. Clay back into the side will assist in this regard for example. I don't think we should go back to the one KPF option, as that has been shown to not be as effective as we would like....

NORTH MELBOURNE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
North
IN
  • Scott D. Thompson,
  • Jy Simpkin
OUT

• Ryan Clarke (Omitted),
  • Sam Durdin (Omitted)
Dogs
IN

• Josh Dunkley,
  • Clay Smith
OUT

• Shane Biggs (Omitted),
  • Caleb Daniel (Omitted)

Biggs is as much for team balance as his form I would think. We were playing one too many medium defenders with JJ/Boyd pushing up to the wing often and Biggs is the odd man out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back