Autopsy Post Mortem vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it take energy to be optimistic? I find it a natural state. I know it takes more muscles to frown than smile. Still, all states of mind aside, I conceed that it has got a lot harder for Bucks. I can't quite ignore the fact that had we converted our scoring opportunities at say 75% we win five games. So on the side of balance, if it's all Bucks fault that we've lost four games it's also fair to say he has coached us into winning positions as well. It's a fine line between pleasure and pain I'm told.

All teams miss easy goals. IMO, our problems are deeper than poor goal kicking, they are structural. We press too high and get burnt on the counter too often for it to be anything but. Bucks is going to need to change our approach in a hurry if we are to get on any sort of a run.

Bucks and Pendles......the cracks beginning to hit the public eye
Yeah that's rough because Pendles is obviously sticking by the coach by playing hurt. Bucks has no ticker otherwise he wouldn't accept that position. Even as captain Pendles clearly needs a rest.

Just because people want to brag that they were right about Buckley, (personally I think dancing on Buckley's grave is sick and disrespectful) doesn't mean those who showed faith and supported Buckley were wrong. While it hasn't worked there were enough signs there to show that it might. Footy is a game of inches, of what ifs and every year more sides fail than those who win/advance yet we don't see 10+ coaches sacked each year. Whether Buckley haters like it or not continued investment and faith from any club's board in their coaches, officials and players is essential and part of footy. It's just a matter of how much faith clubs are prepared to invest before pulling the cord; with Collingwood under Buckley teasing of more and an absence of a player revolt (see WB/McCartney, Bris/Voss) suggesting an overall player buy in I think we got the balance pretty right albeit maybe we went 1 year too long.
Excellent post.

Just because people want to brag that they were right about Buckley, (personally I think dancing on Buckley's grave is sick and disrespectful) doesn't mean those who showed faith and supported Buckley were wrong. While it hasn't worked there were enough signs there to show that it might. Footy is a game of inches, of what ifs and every year more sides fail than those who win/advance yet we don't see 10+ coaches sacked each year. Whether Buckley haters like it or not continued investment and faith from any club's board in their coaches, officials and players is essential and part of footy. It's just a matter of how much faith clubs are prepared to invest before pulling the cord; with Collingwood under Buckley teasing of more and an absence of a player revolt (see WB/McCartney, Bris/Voss) suggesting an overall player buy in I think we got the balance pretty right albeit maybe we went 1 year too long.

There's a certainly a few who are basking in being right more than being disappointed that they were.

I really like what Wells brought to the game. However having seen the game live, to say he stayed on the move is massive hyperbole.

Don't think I have ever seen a midfielder walk or stand with hands on hips as much, in any team, ever.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given his recent injuries, however seems like a player who relies on skill over work ethic.

Hyperbole? I didn't deny there was a lot of hands on hips action I'm not sure what you were expecting after he was rushed back in? Setting that aside though like Robert Harvey as soon as the ball was in play he was on the move.

Our other mids don't move like he does hence all those dinky handballs in tight that pad their stats and get us nowhere. The sooner our other mids get in tune with Wells movement at the stoppage the better because it will allow two to role the dice and the rest to defend. It's all about movement which we don't create currently with our stagnant game plan.

He was moved forward late in the game, he would've been spent, he's without doubt our best key forward, ****, he's probably our only key forward.
Now that I found bizarre! To move Reid up there so late to me smacked of Bucks thumbing his nose at those who reckon he has no imagination or flair. What the hell was Reid supposed to do at such a late stage?

I'm afraid that as far as I'm concerned, Bucks is already little more than a caretaker coach. Yesterday I attended what will probably be my one and only match for the year and I found it devastating to watch. I just can't equate that kind of performance to the talent that exists on our list. People can quote confidence and all sorts of things but I'm afraid the time for excuses has come and gone. I have fully supported Bucks up until this season and I stand by my decision to do so but this season had to be about results especially with as near to a full list as we've had in years. Now that finals are as good as gone I'm afraid I can only hope that the club is seriously working on the future behind the scenes. I simply can't bear the thought of another season without serious change regardless of whether there are excuses or not. I'm just no longer interested in any kind of excuse.

I'm not sure why people are being so hard on the game plan. It delivered 66 inside 50's and kept them to 43. Issue is our efficiency once we get in there going at 39% and 1 goal 8 points from I50 set shots. And this mostly from guys you'd have higher expectations of. Not sure how any game plan can deal with that or what Bucks is expected to do match day to arrest it.

This blame on the players is a bit tiresome for me.

If the game plan is fine (as you say it is) and it is the players who are responsible for our poor performances, isn't that too Buckley's fault since this is his team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reality is Ramsay has played 13 games total. 13. And he is returning off an acl. He always gets plenty of the ball and he is a player with potential we need to develop. I think people forget he's so inexperienced and they are not cutting him enough slack for this to be honest. 13 gamer coming of an acl....
Does seem to get caught a lot which is a worry for a backman.

He needs a spell. Not too long at the lower level, but enough to give him back his confidence. He'll be right long term it's just frustrating for me how often he needs to cover for others one out in a zone defense. I'd say only Howe has been isolated more often.

He isn't coping though so only so much slack can be given. The problem is the coach has already telecast his replacement. If Ramsay is struggling that badly v Green and Fantasia one wonders how Smith will deal with Motlop?.. That's if he gets within touching distance at any point in the match!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How true in Buckley's case.

They are his players now after he got rid of the ones not deemed worthy of being his players.
He molded the side to his liking.

And that's why I don't buy into "our players lack skills, don't understand the game plan" etc etc narrative for a second.

Gotta love this little ditty "we don't train that way".

Well no s**t that's because you don't have an opposition stopping you playing the way you want to play at training.

Everyone is talking about the coach and the game plan but what about the recruiting and list management team?
We have not recruited to fill forward positions, how has this been allowed to happen?
Why are they unaccountable for the recruiting of Cox, White, Mayne etc.....

This blame on the players is a bit tiresome for me.

If the game plan is fine (as you say it is) and it is the players who are responsible for our poor performances, isn't that too Buckley's fault since this is his team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Structure looked pretty good live. It's literally once we get the ball from a turn over and go forward where the problem is. Not running to the right areas, too many players in the same area, or the kick isn't to advantage / space enough of the time. Because like the other bloke said, you'd take the inside 50 count every day of the week.

I honestly thought we defended well and structured up well, just got beaten 1on1 few too many times and they converted way better then us.

But no wait it's all bucks fault.

Cancelling your membership won't make an iota of a difference...

I beg to differ.

$800 a year for two reserved seats.
Roughly $40-50 for each match ($100 if we win) on drinks/food/entertainment = $1100
Untold wasted hours of productivity being on these forums.

I think $2K and less distraction from caring about Collingwood results will be a huge improvement on ruined afternoons/evenings and a quiet despair that there's no quick turnaround for the current team. Even maybe the next few years.

Structure looked pretty good live. It's literally once we get the ball from a turn over and go forward where the problem is. Not running to the right areas, too many players in the same area, or the kick isn't to advantage / space enough of the time. Because like the other bloke said, you'd take the inside 50 count every day of the week.

I honestly thought we defended well and structured up well, just got beaten 1on1 few too many times and they converted way better then us.

I don't think anyone can truthfully say that everything in a game of footy comes back to the coach but the reality is that at some point in time the coach does have to carry the can for performances. That especially applies after a fairly long tenure with continually declining performances and even more so when we have the highest level of player availability almost since the coach took over. Until last year I have been happy to accept some level of excuse while the list was being built and the game plan developed as well as while we endured significant player availability issues. I'm not so generous anymore.

Serious question for those that keep referring to us having the wrong/bad game plan. I don't buy into it but am open to someone explaining. I really don't believe it is that complicated and it isn't that the game was played at the same frenetic pace as that first quarter against the Swans.

Given the personnel out there yesterday, how would a different game plan resulted in a win? I just don't see it and if someone can engage in a decent discussion without abuse, I am happy to discuss.

The way I see it is if we don't get enough of the ball, didn't have enough I50, play undisciplined football, we lose. To me it is all about planning for the opposition both as a team, looking at different scenarios, practicing/training and individual players and going out there and putting those plans into action.

Serious question for those that keep referring to us having the wrong/bad game plan. I don't buy into it but am open to someone explaining. I really don't believe it is that complicated and it isn't that the game was played at the same frenetic pace as that first quarter against the Swans.

Given the personnel out there yesterday, how would a different game plan resulted in a win? I just don't see it and if someone can engage in a decent discussion without abuse, I am happy to discuss.

The way I see it is if we don't get enough of the ball, didn't have enough I50, play undisciplined football, we lose. To me it is all about planning for the opposition both as a team, looking at different scenarios, practicing/training and individual players and going out there and putting those plans into action.
I'm personally not convinced it's game plan that's killing us. I'm more inclined to believe that it's lack of confidence brought about by fear of failure. That alone would indicate a significant failure of the football department IMO.

Not it didn't! We overcommitted at the contest allowing them to get out the back on any turnovers beyond 60 from goal. That lead to 25 scoring shots from just 43 I50's. Despite flooding the contest with numbers we lost the clearance count and congested our F50 to the point that we only scored 27 times from 66 I50's.

Like everyone else, I am devastated that with our full list available we were unable to beat a middling side, and effectively ended our season.
The inaccuracy in front of goal and the inability to make anything of most of the entries within scoring range for the 5th week in a row tells the story.
The strategy of pressuring the forward line to maintain the ball within the scoring area has again proven to be too vulnerable to counterattack. The sides that are effective at the moment are balancing their forward pressure with preparation for swift explosion out of the backline when the opportunity arises, but also with defending against this more effectively than we do. I lost track of the number of times we broke from the backline to be stopped midfield or half forward, while Essendon were able to take their equivalent attacks to the goal line.
I hate unloading coaches mid season, for any side, but Nathan Buckley will probably lay down the sword.
This will not resurrect the season, it is gone. I think that he recognizes that this is the case, and will put the club first, as he always has.
It is sad to be in this position after the optimism of the off season, the good preseason, the improvement in players and the enormous efforts of a few.
Accuracy in front of goal would have had us in a completely different position, perhaps 5-0 and lauding the effects of forward pressure, but that's football. We are not there.

I'm personally not convinced it's game plan that's killing us. I'm more inclined to believe that it's lack of confidence brought about by fear of failure. That alone would indicate a significant failure of the football department IMO.
Yep agree which is why I suggested, iron out any physical aches and pains in the gym this week and only show videos of when players have done things well. Minor training drills only. All indoors this week. Positive reinforcement.

Like everyone else, I am devastated that with our full list available we were unable to beat a middling side, and effectively ended our season.
The inaccuracy in front of goal and the inability to make anything of most of the entries within scoring range for the 5th week in a row tells the story.
The strategy of pressuring the forward line to maintain the ball within the scoring area has again proven to be too vulnerable to counterattack. The sides that are effective at the moment are balancing their forward pressure with preparation for swift explosion out of the backline when the opportunity arises, but also with defending against this more effectively than we do. I lost track of the number of times we broke from the backline to be stopped midfield or half forward, while Essendon were able to take their equivalent attacks to the goal line.
I hate unloading coaches mid season, for any side, but Nathan Buckley will probably lay down the sword.
This will not resurrect the season, it is gone. I think that he recognizes that this is the case, and will put the club first, as he always has.
It is sad to be in this position after the optimism of the off season, the good preseason, the improvement in players and the enormous efforts of a few.
Accuracy in front of goal would have had us in a completely different position, perhaps 5-0 and lauding the effects of forward pressure, but that's football. We are not there.
Tell you what I saw yesterday that stood out to me like a beacon... Nobody wants to take a shot! WTF is going on with that? Where is the value in holding the ball inside 50 if you're not going to pull the trigger when you get a chance? As I say... Fear Of Failure!

I beg to differ.

$800 a year for two reserved seats.
Roughly $40-50 for each match ($100 if we win) on drinks/food/entertainment = $1100
Untold wasted hours of productivity being on these forums.

I think $2K and less distraction from caring about Collingwood results will be a huge improvement on ruined afternoons/evenings and a quiet despair that there's no quick turnaround for the current team. Even maybe the next few years.

When you put it like that it is going to make a huge difference!

All the best mate! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back