Past Sam Rowe

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Bingo.

He gets the shitty jobs every week, always puts his hand up, plus the fact he spends 95% of game time on field.

Taken for granted he gets the gorilla every week.

Huge loss.
And been holding his own every week except prob Suns game even then it wasn't all his fault..

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Journeyman is an apt tag for big Sam Rowe. Has experienced his share of hard knocks and bounced back.
Bolts is huge on honest and integrity. Have to think there is a list spot there for him, providing the prognosis
is favourable, and he holds the resolve to do the necessary work to prolong his career.

I still believe he did the ACL on the hyperextension but obviously his knee is quite strong structurally and the medicos couldn't detect it.

They strapped it up and he did run through's so Sam would have made the call that it felt alright. I would be shocked if it went on the second one

I must be a wuss. I tore my ACL a few months ago playing bubble soccer at a bucks day. The ol 'my leg went that way and my head went that way' trick.

I stopped play for a couple of minutes while I was slumped on the floor. I hobbled off, but played no further part.

No magic spray or strapping but plenty of beer and ice in the @ESKIEs to take care of the pain. Still, I managed to play out the next 12 hours of my bucks 'contract'.

Like Sam though, many were quick to put a line through my amateur bubble soccer and/or bucks day careers. But if I have learnt anything from Sam, which I haven't, is that I'll be back..... But I probably shouldn't.

:)

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I guess those that dont rate big sam as a footballer will just say "pfftt" . I am not one of those and see this as potentially a huge loss. BUT it provides an opportunity for Jones to step up. As they say in the classics "his timing is impeccable"
No matter how you rate him as a footballer though, I think we all agree, that he part of the heart and soul of the club. Recover well, big fella.

OldCarltonKnows

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2012
Cheltenham
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Sad for Sam...a guy who has worked his butt off to get to his respected position in our side based on tenacity rather than absolute talent. Notwithstanding the cancer hurdles he overcame as well just to get back. Rationally this may possibly be it for Sam...and if it is, I take my hat off to a guy who has given everything for our club and done it well.

Stifler's mom

Premium Platinum
Jan 29, 2007
Glen Iris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool - Walk On!
Our medics have a lot to answer for here. This has happened many times before, if a player has a problem on the outside of the knee you have to be careful, even if tests don't show a tear. This has probably ended his career, given his age and how long it takes to recover and then regain confidence. Terrible news!

I cant believe this can be allowed to happen.
I know everyone makes mistakes, but surely conservatism should be used when a player hurts their knee and they don't get sent back on without a really thorough medical assessment.

Luke Ball looked like he did his knee playing for the Pies in 2012, came off, and 20 minutes later he got put back on.
Result was he fully did his knee five minutes later.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
It's done. Can't see the point of Rowe coming back at his age and status to give it another go.

Sad, but that's the way it is.
Still plenty to give. Rob Murphy did his knee much later and is back with potentially more years to go. You may be right but I can't be that matter of fact about it

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Still plenty to give. Rob Murphy did his knee much later and is back with potentially more years to go. You may be right but I can't be that matter of fact about it

I hope Rowe gets back and can play 100 games. Murphy does not play in a laborious position and I doubt he's ever flown in a pack in his 300+ games.

I have no doubt that if Rowe decides he wants to come back and play again he will. Some guys find it hard to come back and play after such a serious injury but Rowe I'm sure will have no trouble in dealing with it.

He's already proved how mentally tough he is by coming back from what he's been through before, this injury pales into insignificance in comparison.

I believe he still has a contribution to make at our club, wishing him all the best for his recovery whatever he decides is right for him.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Rowe is one of those players like Simpson. Very important for us now but won't be for much longer (as we need somebody to take their place).

Sucks that his gone for the rest of the season as I think there is no one else that does his exact job so well. Jones is probably the closest to it right now.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
Why on earth was he sent back on the ground by our medicos?
From experience, if it's just an ACL tear with no cartilage damage, the knee is still quite stable.

I nearly went back on 20 minutes later and played 5 weeks after it. Lenny Hayes played a whole second half with a torn ACL. Can't knock the medicos IMO.

That said, speedy recovery, Sammy. A ripping bloke who sets the best of examples. Was having another very good season.

OldCarltonKnows

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2012
Cheltenham
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
He did his ACL FFS. He is not a race horse- no need to get the curtains out yet
Yep and he's over 30 when he comes back (if he can) so in racehorse terms he's possibly ran his last race. AFL is a tough business. We all love Sam (well I do) but rationally this injury is possibly AFL career ending. Hope he proves me wrong: I'll happily eat humble pie.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Why on earth was he sent back on the ground by our medicos?

Our medics have a lot to answer for here. This has happened many times before, if a player has a problem on the outside of the knee you have to be careful, even if tests don't show a tear. This has probably ended his career, given his age and how long it takes to recover and then regain confidence. Terrible news!

I still believe he did the ACL on the hyperextension but obviously his knee is quite strong structurally and the medicos couldn't detect it.

They strapped it up and he did run through's so Sam would have made the call that it felt alright. I would be shocked if it went on the second one
Agree with AB here, there's a heap of anecdotal evidence of all the tests being run but then the damage reveals itself when it's really put under strain. Sometimes the muscles and other ligaments are able to hold things together well enough (there was this time before ACL surgery where humans had to survive regardless).

Anyway, even it had been a partial tear, that's not necessarily a better outcome in terms of time missed, particularly if they go non-surgical and complications arise.

I reckon he might go the LARS option in an attempt to get back early
Three and a bit pages before this dropped.

Will be interesting to see which way they go, because while there's some promising materials being tested these days, I still think he's going to be stuck with a pretty basic synthetic material if he goes down that path, and given his dimensions, it might not hold the way he wants it to in a contest.

In the near future, you'll be hoping to see synthetic structures that form some kind of lattice or weave that allows their own tissue to supplant, kind of a guidance system. There's a few out there, and here's a relatively simple example out of Boston:

Not sure this is much of a help to Rowe, however, who is probably looking at 12 months and possibly a shuffle onto the rookie list. Probably worth a question and a phone call first to see if they're willing to try it on him though.

Worst case scenario is they just go back in and do whatever bone and/or tissue graft they'd otherwise decided on, just 4-10 weeks later.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Did I just hear it right on Footy Crucified that the club put out a statement saying ACL was done in second incident not first?

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Sammy has had cancer and gone through chemo in the past. Even though this news is devastating I'm sure for him more than most this injury is in perspective. Malthouse always used to praise his mental toughness as being on another level to everyone else. I'm sure he'll be able to get through this injury and come back if he so chooses.

In this day and age an ACL injury isn't the career killer it used to be. In the NFL and soccer leagues around the world an ACL is essentially a 8-9 month injury nowadays. We still lag behind that here, but he could be back to start the season. Even Bob Murphy was back for round one and in very good condition, and he's got a few years on Sam.

Back