Has the AFL world overrated Taylor Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

BlackSwan0512

Senior List
May 13, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
This Thread is purely on Taylor the player; not the captain. His leadership skills as a captain are unquestionable.

However watching the game Saturday night and seeing the Crows kick 20 goals and have over 40 scoring shots, it's a bit concerning that Taylor only scored one goal given that he is the Number 1 KPF for Adelaide. Yes it was wet but the sign of a great forward is the ability to play in all conditions. It never stopped the likes of Barry Hall, Brown, Lloyd and Tredrea over recent years and Ablett, Lockett and Dunstall before that.

Taylor is often talked about as one of the best KPF's in the competition yet he wouldn't make my list of top 8 (Lynch, Kennedy, Franklin, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Cameron, Hawkins and Danniher). I challenge anyone to make a list of top 5 KPF's and see if Tex fits in. Statistically, he is only marginally better over the journey of his career than Ben Brown or Tory Dickson; both whom would cost a fraction of Taylor's price. A few weeks ago the Crows were one of the highest scoring teams of all time up to this point of the season. As such you would expect Taylor to be right up there in the Coleman. Yet he is languishing around 9/10 on the list.

Even though it's a different era for KPF's and teams rely on a greater spread of goalkickers, Taylor rarely reaches the feats of Josh Kennedy/Lance Franklin/Jack Riewoldt/Jeremey Cameron. There's no doubt that Taylor is a good player. But has the AFL world overrated Walker's on field exploits?

Taylor is often talked about as one of the best KPF's in the competition yet he wouldn't make my list of top 8 (Lynch, Kennedy, Franklin, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Cameron, Hawkins and Danniher). I challenge anyone to make a list of top 5 KPF's and see if Tex fits in. Statistically, he is only marginally better over the journey of his career than Ben Brown or Tory Dickson; both whom would cost a fraction of Taylor's price. s?

Point of order being Dickson is a Mark Le Cras type, you are comparing key forwards here.

• Banned
Point of order being Dickson is a Mark Le Cras type, you are comparing key forwards here.
Dickson plays as a lead up forward similar to Tex.
A couple of bad games and then this?

He would have been in many peoples AA side prior to round 7.
I've compared him over the course of his career to other forwards - personally don't believe he stacks up yet recieves the same hype.

Wouldn't have been anywhere near AA before Rd 7 - Kennedy, Cameron and Franklin all commanding KPF positions with Nick Riewoldt and Tom Lynch also in contention.

110515m_ZacDawson_800x600.jpg

He has presence which is more than you can say for Tippett and Hooker. Taylor Walker is crucial to Adelaide on the MCG in September.
You've pretty much made my point.

If we are comparing Walker to Tippett and Hooker, surely he is overrated.

He should be compared with Riewoldt, Kennedy, Franklin, Cameron, Ben Brown etc but he just isn't at the same level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Thread is purely on Taylor the player; not the captain. His leadership skills as a captain are unquestionable.

However watching the game Saturday night and seeing the Crows kick 20 goals and have over 40 scoring shots, it's a bit concerning that Taylor only scored one goal given that he is the Number 1 KPF for Adelaide. Yes it was wet but the sign of a great forward is the ability to play in all conditions. It never stopped the likes of Barry Hall, Brown, Lloyd and Tredrea over recent years and Ablett, Lockett and Dunstall before that.

Taylor is often talked about as one of the best KPF's in the competition yet he wouldn't make my list of top 8 (Lynch, Kennedy, Franklin, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Cameron, Hawkins and Danniher). I challenge anyone to make a list of top 5 KPF's and see if Tex fits in. Statistically, he is only marginally better over the journey of his career than Ben Brown or Tory Dickson; both whom would cost a fraction of Taylor's price. A few weeks ago the Crows were one of the highest scoring teams of all time up to this point of the season. As such you would expect Taylor to be right up there in the Coleman. Yet he is languishing around 9/10 on the list.

Even though it's a different era for KPF's and teams rely on a greater spread of goalkickers, Taylor rarely reaches the feats of Josh Kennedy/Lance Franklin/Jack Riewoldt/Jeremey Cameron. There's no doubt that Taylor is a good player. But has the AFL world overrated Walker's on field exploits?

8th in goals per game
1st in goal assists per game (1st overall)

I agree he hasn't hit those heights, but equally we haven't needed him to. He's also arguably the perfect player for our system seeing he's as much of a playmaker as he is a goal scorer which helps.

He should be compared with Riewoldt, Kennedy, Franklin, Cameron, Ben Brown etc but he just isn't at the same level
You had me till Ben Brown. No doubt Ben is playing some good footy and has lifted North but to rate him alongside Tex confirms troll. Even Cameron is behind Tex

You had me till Ben Brown. No doubt Ben is playing some good footy and has lifted North but to rate him alongside Tex confirms troll. Even Cameron is behind Tex
Cameron has put in more 60+ goal seasons and averages more goals per game than Taylor. He has easily surpassed Walker.

Brown may be an exaggeration, although he is certainly better over the course of the last 18 morks. Brown also doesn't have the support Taylor gets nor does he recieve the same service from the midfield. On current form, I have Brown ahead but I can understand i the argument against

8th in goals per game
1st in goal assists per game (1st overall)

I agree he hasn't hit those heights, but equally we haven't needed him to. He's also arguably the perfect player for our system seeing he's as much of a playmaker as he is a goal scorer which helps.
Agree with this. No doubt Taylor is a good player and suits the Crows' style.

I'd be interested to see how he performs at a side like Fremantle/Carlton/Brisbane

Cameron has put in more 60+ goal seasons and averages more goals per game than Taylor. He has easily surpassed Walker.

Brown may be an exaggeration, although he is certainly better over the course of the last 18 morks. Brown also doesn't have the support Taylor gets nor does he recieve the same service from the midfield. On current form, I have Brown ahead but I can understand i the argument against

Brown also doesn't have to fight with two 60+ goal forwards for supply. ;)

Cameron has put in more 60+ goal seasons and averages more goals per game than Taylor.
Technically. Tex has 1 x 60+ and 1 at 59

The 59 came in a year
Lynch 33
Betts 63
Jenkins 46

Nice return for a team with such an even spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back