Robbo and his insensitive tweet, or "Poor choice of words"

Remove this Banner Ad

This is art

lJaGjV1.png

New Technology Baffles Pissed Old Hack

How do rambling clowns like him ever get into positions of influence? He is a shocking footy journalist. Writes and talks as if we're all a bunch of dumb VB drinking bogans. When he's on the radio/tv you can often sense that guys like Leach, Hartford, Whately, Hudson etc are thinking "wtf is this idiot on about". The AFL media is generally a race to the gutter nowdays so no real surprise to see the utter garbage he wrote today.

I don't get why they need to publicise it to the world. Why not just say X player is having back issues or something and leave it at that.
Yeah let's lie and pretend people just don't have to face these challenges. That is the weak and easy way out, what Fasolo did took courage. Having depression shouldn't be something that needs to be hidden, why didn't Hogan just say he had a bad back? Mental and physical health is no different.

How do rambling clowns like him ever get into positions of influence? He is a shocking footy journalist. Writes and talks as if we're all a bunch of dumb VB drinking bogans. When he's on the radio/tv you can often sense that guys like Leach, Hartford, Whately, Hudson etc are thinking "wtf is this idiot on about". The AFL media is generally a race to the gutter nowdays so no real surprise to see the utter garbage he wrote today.
Beautifully said and extremely accurate...

The people he works with must cringe with embarrassment ever time he opens his mouth... On 360 recently, they were discussing the sledging controversy. These were Gerard's thoughts...

"There's a way of addressing a socially sound issue without being puritanical about it.... this was not rank swearing, this was quite removed from rank swearing... "

The following incoherent ramblings are a direct quote from that dullard, Robbo...

"Is the F word or the C word vulgar? Should you be punished for using those words? If you call someone that...those two words...if I ... a player does that... do we say stop stop..."

I was wrong on Fasolo, Mark Robinson writes

By Mark Robinson

LIKE many Australians, I was stunned by what I saw on Twitter this morning.

I'm not talking about the threat to blow up a plane on the way from Melbourne to Koala Loompah.

I'm not talking about Martina Natradillover's (sp?) call to rename Margaret Court Arena.

I’m not even talking about cavfefe [subs pls note not a typo – this is a real word].

No, I was stunned by some ex-players wanting to knock my head off like a thirsty footy journo knocks the head off a cold frothy of Melbourne Bitter.

I was astonished by the negative feedback I received for a tweet I made about Collingwood player Alex Fasolo, who has taken time off to deal with a mental health issue.

I accept that the tweet made light of mental health issues and I shouldn't have published it. I acknowledge an error of judgment and I was wrong.

Above all, I am deeply sorry to Alex and the Collingwood Football Club.

But you know, I've learnt something from all of this.

I've learnt that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I've learnt that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

And I've learnt that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Because as insensitive as my tweet seemed, it came from a good place. And by that I don't mean my MacBook Pro. Which is quite good.

I mean from a place of kindness. From a place of concern. From a place of wanting the best for Alex.

I just could of done it in a more respectful manner.

But as Nelson Mandela [might of been Morgan Freeman?? subs pls check] once said: your never too old to stop learning.

And even now, at the ripe old age of 49, I can continue to learn - just as I learnt back in my days at Marist Brothers College Bendigo in the early '80s.

Learning times tables and long division in maths with Brother Geoffrey.

Learning verbs in English with Brother Brian (NB: verbs are "doing words").

Learning Australian capitals with Father Murray on a hazy summer's afternoon, watching the butterflies gaily flitter amongst the plumbago outside the window.

And like those butterflies, I've gaily flittered from topic to topic on social media, zeroing in on controversy flowers and hungrily feasting on the nectar of likes and retweets.

And blocking trolls like the butterfly's camouflaged wings block it's predators like spiders and birds. And wasps and that.

But the time for gay flittering is over. Sadly, like the butterfly, it's time for me to return to my cocoon to hibernate during the long winter ahead [subs this might not be scientifically correct. check pls].

But after the winter of Twitter's discontent, I'll emerge from my silk prison cell to a new dawn. A new light. A new appreciation of what it means to be a few stubbies short of a carton of Crown Lager.

Which is not to say that Alex is a few stubbies short. Far from it. If anything, he's a few stubbies over, and he should let the bloke at the till know so his stock control isn't thrown out of whack.

But just as Alex takes stock from the metaphorical bottleshop, so I too need to take stock. Of myself, and what it means to be a journalist in the digital age.

But hey – that's life. Life is all about learning. And renewal. And emerging from a cocoon.

Just like Jobe Watson emerged a new man from the Bombers supplements saga.

Jobe didn't shy away from dealing with that. And he certainly didn't run away and take time off from football. He could of. But he didn't.

Of course, that was in large part because he was suspended for a year so any time off was enforced anyway. But that's beside the point.

Did Jobe run from his problems? No, he didn't. He went to university, worked hard, got his law degree, went to the US and became a barrister.

And do you know what barristers wear? Silk. Which is exactly what the butterfly makes it's cocoon from. Think about it. Full circle.

And when Jobe had won a few cases he said “Done. Smashed it” and returned to public life wearing a feminism cap.

And that's what I’ll do. I'll return to public life wearing a feminism cap of my own.

But mine won’t say feminist. It'll say tolerance. And understanding. And sensitivity, if it fits (depending on font size. I’ll have to speak to the embroiderer).

But it won't even be a real cap at all. It will be a metaphorical cap, which I'll wear proudly (in the metaphorical sense) to remind everyone that I value tolerance and understanding.

And so do all of Alex's mates at the footy club. Like Taylor Adams. And James Aish. And Jarryd Blair. And Timothy there that’s 750 words invoice enc.

*Stands slowly and applauds, a single tear running down my cheek

Did Fasolo or Collingwood over the last couple days say he would be back in a couple weeks? Because I remember hearing that during the Perth Channel 7 news segment and my Mum said 'I didn't know depression could be cured in two weeks.'

I had the same reaction
Jeez really? That explains a bit about you and nothing about depression.
You are aware people go to work every day with depression aren't you? Some take medication for years so they can cope, they aren't cured.
Sometimes it's better to say nothing, especially when you are exposing your mums ignorance as well as your own.

As has been said, if someone like Eddie or Brayshaw tweeted the same thing, Slobbo would be calling for their heads, all over the paper.

His biased reporting against Liam Pickering last year was a farking joke, and the Australian Press Council pretty much found and said as much. The guy Pickering was up against in court is one of Slobbo's mates (Jason Sourasis).

How does the dumb, fat bogan not at least get a demotion after the Press Council found that he breached the basic principles of journalism? That's not a rhetorical question

The Australian Press Council found that he...."failed to take reasonable steps to ensure the article was accurate and not misleading in this respect.....

The Council also considers the article implied the complainant had suffered a significant defeat, and did not refer to serious adverse findings made by the Court against his former partner, or its conclusion that “both parties have won and lost”.

While the article did note one of the aspects on which the complainant’s counterclaim for oppression was upheld, the Council considers that this was not sufficient to ensure fairness and balance

Accordingly, the Council concludes that the publication failed to take reasonable steps to ensure fairness and balance in this respect.

As the material was also presented without reasonable fairness and balance in breach of General Principle 3, the publication was obliged under General Principle 4 to take reasonable steps to give the complainant a fair opportunity for a reply if reasonably necessary to address the breach. In this case, the publication eventually offered to publish a “succinct letter” from the complainant. However, given the number and complexity of the issues, as well as the delay involved, the Council concludes that this offer did not amount to a fair and timely opportunity for a response. Accordingly, this aspect of the complaint is also upheld'

etc: http://www.presscouncil.org.au/document-search/adj-1699/ (scroll down)

Wouldn't be the first time the HUN has breached APC guidelines in relation to footy and been smacked for it. Slobbo has made a mockery of one of the more prestigious sports journalism posts in the country.

Robbo has gone from saying how it's a horrible disease that can strike anyone on 360 on Tuesday and saying how the media should respect players privacy during times like this to making this ignorant tweet on a Thursday. What the...?

Has this guy got naked photos of executives at Fox and the HS? He is a flat out gronk and expresses himself like an uneducated, bogan in all formats. Just another to add to the list of "how did this bloke get his job"?

Edit: for a bit of background into the kind of bloke that he is, he has a son in Bendigo whom he has nothing to do with including financially and has never even bothered to meet. Pig of a human.

Last edited:
As another poster mentioned .... plenty of irony in this thread.
The lynch mob out in force tonight.
Baying for blood for the hack
Hopeless sun journo for an outrageous
Insensitive Tweet.

You could make a case that the bile and hate directed toward him from plenty on here is worse than his inappropriate words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor choice of words.

Not surprised someone wouldn't query why Fasolo is too depressed to play but ok to train. How does that work? He can't handle game day?

Everyone handles it differently - training and getting out is obviously a coping mechanism for his issues right now. Just because he's training in a low pressure environment doesn't mean he should be playing in a high pressure one. He knows what he needs to do and what he wants to do - and this is it.

Insensitive Tweet.

You could make a case that the bile and hate directed toward him from plenty on here is worse than his inappropriate words.

I farken hate mob pile ons....but I make exception when a public bully, who uses a powerful tabloid platform to lead the charge in public pillories, gets his right whack

Seriously, * this mouth breather. There is not a man more undeserving of his position in the industry than this moron with his panting foul vb breath getting heavier when there is a the scent of blood of someone he doesn't like...this is the irony

Insensitive Tweet.

Although I do agree with this . I think the fact it was Robbo who everyone knows if it was someone else he probably would've had a back page article and a 15 minute segment on 360 doing what everyone is doing here to him.

Seriously what the **** is with all of these posters trying to be super PC calling for him to be sacked?

b261e87aa1184f26b4e8cf5d914efb2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

try suffering from periods of depression or anxiety or see a loved one go through it

Poor choice of words.

Not surprised someone wouldn't query why Fasolo is too depressed to play but ok to train. How does that work? He can't handle game day?

Why would someone query it? Why isn't he allowed to kick a footy?

Insensitive Tweet.

The tweet wouldnt even exist if there wasnt a rabid audience out there that gobbles this shite up. Robbo knows it. Be first. Be controversial. Be speculative. And watch em come and react in droves.
Not excusing what he said at all but the cesspool medium footy "journalism" has descended or more accurately, plunged into.

Last edited:
I farken hate mob pile ons....but I make exception when a public bully, who uses a powerful tabloid platform to lead the charge in public pillories, gets his right whack

Seriously, **** this mouth breather. There is not a man more undeserving of his position in the industry than this moron with his panting foul vb breath getting heavier when there is a the scent of blood of someone he doesn't like...this is the irony
well said

Quote from Robinson in September 2015 to people who were questioning Franklin's mental health issues:

“When you’re an AFL footballer, when you ask for understanding and compassion and support, people say, ‘We will give that to you’ and you just hope that compassion and support is not slapped back in your face.....You’ve got to believe people...Why would people stake their own reputations and stake their employment on Buddy if it’s not mental health problems?...There are too many good people, and when I say good people…John Longmire, Jarrad McVeigh — too many people are vouching for this and I’m not in any position to dismiss that.”

Then in March 2016 after a comment from Craig Kelly about his client Gary Lyon, Robinson said:

"Kelly’s threat opened my mind to the difficulties faced by all sorts of people when it comes (to) mental health...The media commentary is one aspect, which at times can lack sympathy...but it’s the rumours that have a life of their own on social media."

I think the scary thing is he is so stupid, he wouldn't immediately see the connection. He probably doesn't even realise he's doing it. But I can't think of anyone in the media that plays favourites to quite the extent that Robbo does. If Fasolo was an Essendon player, he would never have dreamt of making that Tweet. But since there's bad blood between Robbo and many at Collingwood, he wouldn't have thought twice about putting the boots in; I'm sure he could barely control his glee, without even stopping to think: why shouldn't Fasolo be able to run a few laps and participate in a bit of lanework, in front of a few dozen spectators and journos?

It's like him baying for blood with Zak Jones this week and how he got a fine instead of a suspension. All well and good, but his reasoning was frightening. It was because parents had been contacting him all week, telling him that it sets a bad example for junior footy players. Again, fair enough...but...um...should you really need to be told that, Robbo? You couldn't figure that out for yourself?

He's clearly a man who struggles to think for himself on any contentious issue and he'll just go with whatever he considers to be the popular opinion. Which is pretty dangerous on social media, because his followers are morons, by and large.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back