News Pendlebury: We celebrated 2010 too hard

Remove this Banner Ad

But is he talking s**t about the partying in 2011 and beyond?

That is the point I am trying to make.
Either talking s**t or just plain wrong. Even in 2012 we weren't far off. 5 season ending injuries and a funeral in PF week derailed us. That list was good enough and trained hard enough to win more than 1 flag. It sure as hell wasn't partying that cost us.

I dont think partying or hubris or the media or even Malthouse has anything to do with us losing the 2011 Grand Final. They are all a sideshow. The partying had existed well before the Malthouse story broke. It wasnt something that just happened when the transition was announced.

We lost the 2011 Grand Final because Geelong was the better team on the day and had our measure during the year. That combined with some injury concerns at the wrong time of year and some selection/positional errors on the day.

November 28 2012
Print
License article
Pert worried about 'volcanic' off-season behaviour by players

AS concerns about illicit drug use by AFL players mount, Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert says some players are guilty of "volcanic behaviour" during the off-season and wants a forum of all clubs to discuss the problem.

• Pert said the off-season was potentially a dangerous time for cashed-up players who have even more time on their hands and are outside of club control.

"There is volcanic behaviour which is what you are talking about," he said.

The party has been going for 7 years what's he meen jeezzzuss

Either talking s**t or just plain wrong. Even in 2012 we weren't far off. 5 season ending injuries and a funeral in PF week derailed us. That list was good enough and trained hard enough to win more than 1 flag. It sure as hell wasn't partying that cost us.

I know a story of a Premiership player who was thrown down the stairs of the Barkly Hotel in 2012 for being a dick!

Our players heads got too big after 2010.........Pendles is spot on.......what his motive is for saying it is irrelevant to me anyway!

So partying too much in 2008 is pre hubris? Whats the difference?

You bore me when you deflect and move the goal posts Timmy.

We are talking Collingwood here......if you want to talk Hawthorn........talk about the four Premierships since 2008 and how OUR Club could achieve that in the modern era.

You bore me when you deflect and move the goal posts Timmy.

We are talking Collingwood here......if you want to talk Hawthorn........talk about the four Premierships since 2008 and how OUR Club could achieve that in the modern era.

I'm not moving the goalposts . I wasnt talking about Hawthorn I was talking about Shaw and Didak. The partying has been an issue for a very long time. Bad behaviour has occurred before and after the Premiership. Something Buckley has been working on cleaning up. Sorry if that point went over your head.

The implication is that it only started in 2011 and somehow is linked to the Malthouse transition plan or to injuries in late 2011 or to the results on GF Day 2011 is completely fanciful.

I'm not moving the goalposts . The partying has been an issue for a very long time. Bad behaviour has occurred before and after the Premiership. Something Buckley has been working on cleaning up. Sorry if that point went over your head.

The implication is that it only started in 2011 and somehow is linked to the Malthouse transition plan or to injuries in late 2011 or to the results on GF Day 2011 is completely fanciful.

Who was Pert talking about when he said "volcanic behavior" Timmy?

No idea or care but its not relevant to the point I am making. What a silly reply.

Volcanic behaviour has got nothing to do with Pendles claim about over celebrating in 2011? :drunk:

You win mate!

tumblr_lom5s5KHiq1qarprc.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we didn't play injured Reid and Jolly we probably would of won the 2011 GF.

Podsiadly getting injured and subbed off also worked in their favour I reckon

Thats because someone was too dumb to move an AA quality FB in Tarrant onto a white hot Hawkins. Knowing Reid was injured he should of been left to play loose.

Last edited:
November 28 2012
Print
License article
Pert worried about 'volcanic' off-season behaviour by players

AS concerns about illicit drug use by AFL players mount, Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert says some players are guilty of "volcanic behaviour" during the off-season and wants a forum of all clubs to discuss the problem.

• Pert said the off-season was potentially a dangerous time for cashed-up players who have even more time on their hands and are outside of club control.

"There is volcanic behaviour which is what you are talking about," he said.

Hasn't that Always Happens?

We didn't time our run right, copped some injuries leading up to the finals and during the GF itself, MM didn't switch Taz onto Hawkins and didn't utilise Maxy properly when Pods went down, were 2 goals away from just about winning it before half time but let Geelong back in, our players were taking the piss during the year knowing they only need to play 1 quarter to win games [direct quote to me by a player] and Geelong were a pretty fair side themselves.

These are the reasons we didn't win the flag that year, not partying hard which was the norm back in them days anyway.

I know a story of a Premiership player who was thrown down the stairs of the Barkly Hotel in 2012 for being a dick!

Our players heads got too big after 2010.........Pendles is spot on.......what his motive is for saying it is irrelevant to me anyway!
I've heard that story about a million times about every club. I have no doubt it happens but highly doubt it matters in the long run unless it's a regular event. Boyd & Cordy didn't seem to hurt the dogs. I don't have any issue with players partying unless it impacts training. In fact IMO players need to get off the leash. I'd be much more concerned about rumours of player rifts which Pendlebury has been at the centre of than I do about players letting off some steam. In any case the results just contradict the whole theory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back