Do we have too many players over 30 years of age?

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread turned out to be rubbish last year so lets bump it because we lost our first 2 games and try and make myself look right.

Long way to go but early signs that might be Correct

No. I want to be wong. Collingwood first.

But you’re already wrong. We won a premiership since you started this thread and our over 30s were instrumental in that GF win. In the last quarter alone we would not have won without ( in random order) Pendlebury, Cox, Sidebottom, and Mitchell to name just a few.

In 2024 already we have selected Dean Macrae AJ and Noble, and will continue to attempt to get the next generation some opportunities.

There will definitely be more turnover at the end of the year or two and that demographic will quickly rebalance

But you’re already wrong. We won a premiership since you started this thread and our over 30s were instrumental in that GF win. In the last quarter alone we would not have won without ( in random order) Pendlebury, Cox, Sidebottom, and Mitchell to name just a few.

In 2024 already we have selected Dean Macrae AJ and Noble, and will continue to attempt to get the next generation some opportunities.
I’m revisiting the thread. We won the flag last year. This year we look to be a long way off wining a flag.

I’m revisiting the thread. We won the flag last year. This year we look to be a long way off wining a flag.
You’re going way too early is what you’re doing.

Should probably have a bit more faith in the team.

Yes you’re bumping an idiotic thread because you might be right eventually. But you were already wrong.

Keep revisiting all you like, people don’t get younger and flags are hard to win.

You’re going way too early is what you’re doing.

Should probably have a bit more faith in the team.
I would be so happy for this thread to be canned as early as 10:30 on Thursday night after a big win. Realistically however, I cant see that happening.

I’m searching for answers like all Collingwood supporters at the moment. I hope like everyone else they can get back on track.
Well, they did get back on track, not only that, they won a flag!

How about you enjoy that for a bit longer.

I would be so happy for this thread to be canned as early as 10:30 on Thursday night after a big win. Realistically however, I cant see that happening.
There is nothing more boring than a poster who revels in dismay.

Go watch the grand final replay and cheer up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t ’jumped off’. I’m asking questions of the team like everyone else who lives in the real world.
Yeah you have. You did the same thing last year in this thread.

How did that turn out for you?

I would have thought you’d leave this thread well alone!

Yeah you have. You did the same thing last year in this thread.

How did that turn out for you?

I would have thought you’d leave this thread well alone!
Asking questions apparently equates to ‘jumping off’.
You shouldn’t bite so easily.

It'll prob come to bite us eventually. Could it be this year? Possibly. Things change and father time comes quick sometimes. We'll just have to be ready to make sure the transition goes smoothly. Which is blooding certain players.

I think we do. It may be that 3O is the new 25, but injuries mount up over time. No doubt someone will point out that our average list age is such and such, however we still have plenty in the 30+ category. Hoskin Elliot is only weeks away from his 30th birthday.
Median list age would be a more interesting stat.

I think the concern for us is the caliber of players we have over 30. It’s going to be very tough to replace Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Mitchell, WHE, Cox, Mihocek…they are either A grade clutch players or incredible value for their salary.

I would also say our bigger issue on account of our sustained success, and in the down years poor trading history, is the lack of ready made youth to step in. We have McRae and Reef, let’s closer to ready. Aside from that we don’t have much else outside of the 22.

We are in for some lean years!

There will definitely be more turnover at the end of the year or two and that demographic will quickly rebalance

Noble and AJ are both about to turn 27... not exactly the next generation. Both probably towards the ends of their careers.

Noble and AJ are both about to turn 27... not exactly the next generation. Both probably towards the ends of their careers.

You need experienced players as well to assist in that transition. Our list has a good mix. It’s not as if it’s loaded with 32 year olds and 19 year olds and nothing in between. The challenge now is to create opportunities for our 22 year olds.

I think the concern for us is the caliber of players we have over 30. It’s going to be very tough to replace Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Mitchell, WHE, Cox, Mihocek…they are either A grade clutch players or incredible value for their salary.

I would also say our bigger issue on account of our sustained success, and in the down years poor trading history, is the lack of ready made youth to step in. We have McRae and Reef, let’s closer to ready. Aside from that we don’t have much else outside of the 22.

Mitchell cox and WHE are easily replaceable. The fact Mitchell was only picked up last year is evidence of that. Re Howe we have played large chunks of the past two seasons without him so when the time comes we will manage. Mihocek remains important and finding the next forward line is our biggest challenge. Sidey still looking good so hopefully can keep going at least another year. Pendles is pendles and will be sadly missed whenever he retires

I don’t see our over 30s being the issue but do agree now is the time to blood our 22 year olds to start to manage that transition.

Very funny stuff.

Happy to go on record I do.
You’re a marvel, where do you find all this stuff?
Thanks very much for that. I love that sort of (statistical) stuff! I keep plenty of (AFL-related) files/spreadsheets, and those figures were simply copied from one of them (current player lists). Excel certainly makes life easy - e.g. I have a formula in place so it automatically updates the age of a player when he has a birthday, and the program takes care of all the calculations for me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back