Joe Daniher and Darcy Parish vs Jesse Hogan and Clayton Oliver

Daniher and Parish or Hogan and Oliver

• Daniher and Parish

Votes: 88 33.0%
  • Hogan and Oliver

Votes: 179 67.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No, Daniher is potentially a star, but a star he presently aint.
For me, Daniher has arrived this season. He is only going to get better from here. Would be worth an enormous amount as a FA or on the trade market, he's only 23 and can also play ruck. Brilliant mark, athletic, capable of doing the absolute freakish. He's a star in my eyes, and I ****ing hate Essendon.

For me, Daniher has arrived this season. He is only going to get better from here. Would be worth an enormous amount as a FA or on the trade market, he's only 23 and can also play ruck. Brilliant mark, athletic, capable of doing the absolute freakish. He's a star in my eyes, and I ******* hate Essendon.
No problem. Your opinion.

We obviously grade "stars" differently.

Need a new Melbourne vs Essendon poll

'Who is the better forward, McDonald or Hooker'

'Frost/Hunt/Garlett/Viney vs Tippa/Fantasia/Green/McKenna in a 4x100m relay'

'Who had the better scandal, Essendons drugs or Melbournes tanking'

'Shaun McKernan vs Jake Spencer'

'Would you rather fight 10 Josh Green sized Joe Danihers or 10 Max Gawn sized Jeff Garletts'

Viney would have to resort to tackling his opponent and Green is slow as ****.

I reckon next year Parish and Hogan will both look a fair bit better and this poll will continue to be close.

Hogan has had a horror year off the field. Nobody would have performed well with the year he's had.

I firmly believe Parish will have a breakout year in his 3rd year in typical young midfielder fashion. The pattern of great first year, similar or slightly down second year and breakout 3rd year feels as old as time.

Pairsh may end up better but right now Oliver is probably ahead. People are entitled to their opinion though.

Pairsh may end up better but right now Oliver is probably ahead. People are entitled to their opinion though.
Oliver is probably ahead?

Please there is no comparison between the two currently

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I must be missing something with Parish. Gets a bit of it but has hurt factor foot is low IMO. Kicks high up and under passes often to 1v2 contests and handballs to teammates under pressure. At his size he needs to have weapons be it defensively or offensively, and I don't see a lot.

Oliver's contested ball winning ability, clearance work and tackling is already first class, would like to see him kick it more often though. He is significantly better than Parish now IMO and looks like he will continue to be moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be missing something with Parish. Gets a bit of it but has hurt factor foot is low IMO. Kicks high up and under passes often to 1v2 contests and handballs to teammates under pressure. At his size he needs to have weapons be it defensively or offensively, and I don't see a lot.

Oliver is well in front but this a gross misrepresentation of Parish's ability as a footballer.

Oliver is well in front but this a gross misrepresentation of Parish's ability as a footballer.

I'm no talent scout but that's just what I see. What are his standout attributes? What will make him elite? He looks pretty vanilla to me.

I'm no talent scout but that's just what I see. What are his standout attributes? What will make him elite? He looks pretty vanilla to me.

He has dash through/around traffic and is mentally tough; his confidence is rarely rocked, even when the team shits its pants. He can kick a goal or at least has potential to grow as a goal-kicking mid.

He is vanilla to a degree, definitely, but is fairly well skilled. None of his attributes are particularly outstanding, but he will be a dangerous midfielder as he develops.

He has dash through/around traffic and is mentally tough; his confidence is rarely rocked, even when the team shits its pants. He can kick a goal or at least has potential to grow as a goal-kicking mid.

He is vanilla to a degree, definitely, but is fairly well skilled. None of his attributes are particularly outstanding, but he will be a dangerous midfielder as he develops.

Fair enough, I think it's his ball use that seems to me to be what lets him down a bit. But it is worth noting he's still a teenager too, so he will definitely improve.

Daniher's aerial ability is unreal and he's really cleaned up his accuracy which was his only major weakness. Should be AA this year.

Not much Hogan can do about it this year.

One thing people need to realise about Parish is - he's generally had lower time on ground this year (mostly around 70%) and had to play more time in the forward line. We've really taken a conservative view with managing him this year as last year he was really worn down over the course of playing out a full season in his first year. He's really a bonafide pure mid so it hasn't been as good for his numbers but make no mistake - he will be getting real midfield time again probably from next year. In the long run though it won't hurt him having spent more time up forward even though its not really his forte.

He's a player that just needs 1 more preseason to take his body to the next level. At his best he can do some really impressive work around the clearances as he's excellent at gathering the ball at pace and swerving through that traffic. We saw it a lot in his first year but as our senior players have returned he's not getting the same opportunities in there this year.

One thing people need to realise about Parish is - he's generally had lower time on ground this year (mostly around 70%) and had to play more time in the forward line. We've really taken a conservative view with managing him this year as last year he was really worn down over the course of playing out a full season in his first year. He's really a bonafide pure mid so it hasn't been as good for his numbers but make no mistake - he will be getting real midfield time again probably from next year. In the long run though it won't hurt him having spent more time up forward even though its not really his forte.

He's a player that just needs 1 more preseason to take his body to the next level. At his best he can do some really impressive work around the clearances as he's excellent at gathering the ball at pace and swerving through that traffic. We saw it a lot in his first year but as our senior players have returned he's not getting the same opportunities in there this year.

Who gives a **** if he spends lower time on the ground. Been in the system for almost 2 years, build a tank.

Oliver is playing in one of the top midfield and he is the number 1 man. If Parish was good enough he would get the opportunities

Who gives a **** if he spends lower time on the ground. Been in the system for almost 2 years, build a tank.

Oliver is playing in one of the top midfield and he is the number 1 man. If Parish was good enough he would get the opportunities

He has a tank. What he doesn't have is enough rotations in the midfield. Woosha picks on seniority. I disagree with it in regards to Parish but it's getting results. Parish was excellent last week and really solidified our position in the third when Merrett was off getting assessed last week and he got Zachs rotations.

What's your issue? No one said he was better than Oliver.

Parish is coming along brilliantly for a second year midfielder especially when you consider he's had to adapt to new more outside role that the coaches have given him for development purposes.

What's your issue? No one said he was better than Oliver.

Parish is coming along brilliantly for a second year midfielder especially when you consider he's had to adapt to new more outside role that the coaches have given him for development purposes.
My problem is using time on ground is a cop out

"Probably ahead" ?

Oliver is 9 in the competition for total disposals

Oliver is 2 in the competition for contested possessions

Oliver is 2 in the competition for total handballs

Oliver is 9 in the competition for clearances

Oliver is 11 in the competition for centre clearances

Oliver is 8 in the competition for tackles

So my question to you is "is Parish top 50 in any of those measures" ? Top 100 ?

Back