Moved Thread WCE 1992 vs Carlton 95 vs Crows 97 vs Bombers 2000 vs Lions 2001 vs Cats 2007 vs Hawks 2013 vs Tigers 2019 - Knockout Finals

In a knockout finals, which side would reign supreme?

• West Coast Eagles 1992

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Carlton 1995

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Adelaide Crows 1997

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Essendon 2000

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • Brisbane Lions 2001

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Geelong 2007

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Hawthorn 2013

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Richmond 2019

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't put the more recent winners of Dees 2021 and Pies 2023 because I'm thinking more of a past match up. For example You may opt for Geelong 2009 or a Hawks of another year as well as a Brisbane or a Richmond. But you get the jist of it. Sheerly a Knockout format and we could have that many combinations but too keep it simple I've randomly picked out these knockout games and you tell me in your honest, unbiased opinion who would win the lot. Now of course on any given day really any of these sides could beat each other. But go mainly with logic and perhaps a slice of luck because that obviously happens too. Here's what I got. The match ups.

West Coast 1992 vs Hawthorn 2013
Carlton 1995 vs Brisbane Lions 2001
Cats 2007 vs Richmond 2019
Crows 1997 vs Essendon 2000

West Coast 16.16 defeated Hawthorn 12.11
Carlton 20.12 defeated Brisbane 16.16
Richmond 17.12 defeated Geelong 15.15
Essendon 18.12 defeated Adelaide 14.13

Carlton 17.12 defeated West Coast 15.16
Essendon 16.14 defeated Richmond 13.13

Carlton 17.11 defeated Bombers 15.13

West Coast 1992 a very good team and I almost had them beating Carlton. Because the likes of Matera, Sumich, Worsfold, Kemo, McIntosh, Heady, Mckenna, Jackovich etc play big boy football and they stand up on Grand Final day. But what worked against them against the Blues is that in Melbourne, The Blue Baggers could get them. Even in that 91 Season they were the first team to upset the Coasters. Silvagni, Bradley, Kernahan, Williams they could rattle the West Coast Cage. A solid back line of Dean, Christou then of course Kouta and co and they were a pretty ferocious side to play against. Pearce and Clape gave them that Ex-Factor. Ratten, Hanna well I could go on all day.

Carlton got The Dons in that 1999 Prelim and I feel the Blues of 1995 were just so studded with talent that even the Great Dons of 2000 wouldn't be able to handle them. I reckon Carlton could get the chocolates in a final series with any of the best from recent football history.

I didn't put the more recent winners of Dees 2021 and Pies 2023 because I'm thinking more of a past match up. For example You may opt for Geelong 2009 or a Hawks of another year as well as a Brisbane or a Richmond. But you get the jist of it. Sheerly a Knockout format and we could have that many combinations but too keep it simple I've randomly picked out these knockout games and you tell me in your honest, unbiased opinion who would win the lot. Now of course on any given day really any of these sides could beat each other. But go mainly with logic and perhaps a slice of luck because that obviously happens too. Here's what I got. The match ups.

West Coast 1992 vs Hawthorn 2013
Carlton 1995 vs Brisbane Lions 2001
Cats 2007 vs Richmond 2019
Crows 1997 vs Essendon 2000

West Coast 16.16 defeated Hawthorn 12.11
Carlton 20.12 defeated Brisbane 16.16
Richmond 17.12 defeated Geelong 15.15
Essendon 18.12 defeated Adelaide 14.13

Carlton 17.12 defeated West Coast 15.16
Essendon 16.14 defeated Richmond 13.13

Carlton 17.11 defeated Bombers 15.13
In no universe is Richmond 2019 beating Geelong 2007.

Which game of AFL are they playing though? The one from the 90's or the game as it currently is? Rules have changed the game a fair bit over that period. The level of professionalism has probably evolved a fair bit over that period as well. For that reason, it'd be hard to pick teams from the 90's.

Correct. To answer the OP’s question I think at our zenith we could take most of them teams, perhaps with the exception of Brisbane. Being the only team in the history of the game to win a GF by over 100 points must carry some weight, how much 🤷‍♂️

5f7761b46eb41fd9fe960898eed8892c

V a midfiel of Misiti, Jason Johnson & Heffernan 😂
Yet good enough to produce a 24/25 season, including accounting for Carlton's star studded midfield 3 times including an easy prelim win. Even the invincible Blues of 95 couldn't match that season.

So yeah, laugh it up 👍

Carlton '95 were something else. Should have been undefeated. Just took their eye off the ball. Then Essendon 2000. Geelong 2007/08 were the most dynamic and exciting in my view, but a bit less trustworthy.

The Essendon midfield prob the worst premiership midfield of all time..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet good enough to produce a 24/25 season, including accounting for Carlton's star studded midfield 3 times including an easy prelim win. Even the invincible Blues of 95 couldn't match that season.

So yeah, laugh it up 👍
In Round 20 we were practically even until the 4th quarter where we didn't even have a bench (including Kouta who suffered a knee injury, Bradley went off with a hammy). It is likely that the Bulldogs would not have been the first team to beat you that if both of them playing that 4th quarter.

Carlton was the only team in '00 who had the potential to upset you in finals, a healthy Carlton. In the PF we were practically limping into the game, also having no SOS after he tore his hamstring off the bone.

Just imagine if the roles were reversed. Take your best player out, your best defender, your best ruckman and your best wingman... the dynamics change drastically.

I don't like to admit it but that 95 Calrton team should have gone undefeated

Lost to lowly St Kilda and Sydney then rattled off 16 wins all the way to premiership glory

Great overall team. Were the the 3rd best scoring but it was their AMAZING DEFENCE and rebound scoring from defensive transition that kept teams under 78 points

I really think Geelong 07 is the best by some way, then probably quite close between Carlton, Essendon and Brisbane.

Cats 2007 just so strong on every line

In Round 20 we were practically even until the 4th quarter where we didn't even have a bench (including Kouta who suffered a knee injury, Bradley went off with a hammy). It is likely that the Bulldogs would not have been the first team to beat you that if both of them playing that 4th quarter.

Carlton was the only team in '00 who had the potential to upset you in finals, a healthy Carlton. In the PF we were practically limping into the game, also having no SOS after he tore his hamstring off the bone.

Just imagine if the roles were reversed. Take your best player out, your best defender, your best ruckman and your best wingman... the dynamics change drastically.
Carlton almost beat us three times that year as I recall. Surely you can claim a moral victory.

Playing the game style of the time the 2019 Tigers would most likely lose by about 3-5 goals. Probably more.

If it is 2007 game style Geelong vs 2019 Game style Richmond it gets a little more tastier.

Now I am just going off how the teams were named on Wikipedia and I haven't watched the Geelong vs Port granny since it happened. I will also go off the players in the year of the grand final

I think that Astbury and Grimes could cover Mooney and N.Ablett to the point where it would be break even. Chapman and Johnson would make Vlastuin and Broad very nervous. The four are not quick players but Johnson and Chapman were both deceptively strong in the air that the interception game would be difficult to pull off with certainty. Short and Houli would be interesting against a young Selwood and Stokes. Selwood (named as a forward) would need to get dangerous because it would be hard to let Short or Houli get 25 touches each.

The midfield battle would be in Geelongs favour but not as much of a wash as what it would seem. King and Nank would probably beat seven shades of s**t out of each other and Ottens would just do whatever he wanted around the ground. Kicking long down the line for Richmond would just result in a mark to either of these Geelong Rucks. The midfielders are an interesting one. You have a young Bartel and Ablett with Ling against Prestia, Cotchin and Martin. The massive question is whether Ling forces Dusty to be more forward than midfield. Bartel and Ablett are just starting to enter their peak years at 24 and 23 respectfully and coming up against more seasoned Prestia and Cotchin. If Richmond don't turn the stoppages into a street fight, Bartel and Ablett would walk the ball out of the middle due to the dominance of King and Ottens over Nank and Soldo.

I remember (correct me if I am wrong) but Scarlett was never forced to play big one on one with the huge forwards. For that reason, he would blanket Riewoldt. Jack is a little more agile on the ground and could scrounge a goal or two that way but he ain't out marking Scarlett unless it is on a very powerful lead. From what I remember of Milburn both him and Lynch would look at eachother and the fight would be on. Lynch is taller and probably ever so slightly stronger but Milburn would make him earn every touch.

I don't think it would he the simple cake walk most Cats supporters think. If you look at it purely as player career and talent shown over the career then 100% Richmond is not winning. Take game plan and the relative ages of the players and where they were during said year and it would paint a different story.

Also the rule set would matter. 666 on the balance would favour Geelong if they can capitalise on the hit out dominance of their rucks.

Back