Things You Were Wrong About

Remove this Banner Ad

kyle hartigan playing in a final
Not only playing but near on dominating. Bar one spoil he was faultless last night. Top 5 on the ground. After his early season form, I never thought it would be the case; might look back and see that time off with a hammie as a positive.

Thompson Management. Whilst I was right last year that he was cooked, I thought our club would be too soft with him on the list and he'd play >50% of the games. I was wrong about our willpower to not select the old boy.

I thought we should've put a line through Mackay and played Gooch.

That we'd experience no improvement this year. Had us locked in for another gusty Elimination Final win followed by a crushing Semi loss.

That the Harry Potter movies were just for kids. They're awesome.

Also David Mackay.
I was a massive fan back in the day, I thought early on after a few injuries if he ever got his body right that he was going to be a superstar.
As the years rolled on I didn't notice much either way I watched week to week, nothing to in depth, this was BBF (Before Big Footy)
Since joining, I wrote the DMac negatives off as online keyboard warriors. Then, a squibbed tackle here, a shocking inside 50 delivery here, there and everywhere and then a realisation, where were all the good games.
To compound my DMac frustration, there were a few talented blokes being kept out of the side, my flabergastion intensified.
This year, I have been pleasantly surprised, aside from a few throwback games I think that he has stood up and last night in the second half when they were making their move, he was everywhere, I don't remember too many shanks and some great tackles.
He and Dougie are the old hands of our midfield, we need them doing what they did last night. Their careers can be either stamped with a flag or fade away.

I didn't think we'd make a GF. I might still get that one right.

Wrong about Mackay and wrong to doubt the coaching group back when we lost to Geelong.

I said Sydney might prove to be better than us, hopefully they get eliminated before that gets put to the test.

I think - and it's possibly for the first time in their careers - that both Douglas and Mackay have a steely resolve about them now. I'm sure they've always tried hard and are good honest clubmen but I think they've now both done 10 or more years with us, have seen how hard it is to have real success, have seen their careers teeter at times and now (finally) are *desperate* for success. Seeing Dougie take that mark and cop a whack and then go back a kick a pressure goal and seeing Mackay put Shiel on his bum was bloody magic!

I think - and it's possibly for the first time in their careers - that both Douglas and Mackay have a steely resolve about them now. I'm sure they've always tried hard and are good honest clubmen but I think they've now both done 10 or more years with us, have seen how hard it is to have real success, have seen their careers teeter at times and now (finally) are *desperate* for success. Seeing Dougie take that mark and cop a whack and then go back a kick a pressure goal and seeing Mackay put Shiel on his bum was bloody magic!

When we look back at Dougy's career it's going to be a bit perplexing that we played him out of position for all but about a third of his games.

Craig deciding he was a small forward did him a substantial disservice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Charlie Cameron would be a 18 disposals, 1 goal per game wingman for us for the next 10 years
- Lever would be our next captain
- We should have made more of an effort to keep Lyons, because our midfield depth would suffer without him (and without getting Gibbs)

1. Cheney > Kelly
2. We wouldn't get out of our mid season slump
3. McGovern wouldn't re-sign
4. Brad Crouch was cooked
5. Hugh Greenwood would ever get a game
6. Milera would be a lock this year
7. Mackay being serviceable
8. MCrouch going from solid ball winner to bona fide Star.
9. Charlie Cameron organic growth
10. We would have half a foot in the grand final with our finals record.

I also find it interesting that there is a fair bit of discourse centered around this being a 'weak' season, I may be wrong, but I don't think it is, I just think that there are some sections of the footy world that don't seem to like that the Crows are up and about.
How can it be weak when it's been a very even season? Even the bottom teams have had ok seasons, that means it's more of a feat to finish top. That line of thinking makes no sense.

dude316 can you please gif MacKay putting Shiel on his ass?

Maybe include that little whiteboard with the list of things that MacKay needs to do in his career and cross out "dropping Shiel on his bum" or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back