What the heck? Eagle Sam Mitchell denies spitting allegation

Remove this Banner Ad

SAM Mitchell has denied any suggestion he spat at or near Port Adelaide's Sam Gray during the third quarter of West Coast's thrilling elimination final win at Adelaide Oval.

The alleged incident occurred during the last minute of the third term of the epic clash. Mitchell gave away a free kick after falling onto Gray's back on the wing and hunched over as the Power forward was face-down on the ground near his feet.

Mitchell spat as Gray slowly got to his feet but his saliva didn't make contact with the Port player.

You can clearly see from the picture he was hunched over that the action was not directed at Gray

mitchell-spit-circle-620.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-10/eagle-mitchell-denies-spitting-allegation

Last edited:
*Sam Gray. A 2d image made him seem closer than he probably was, the umpire was right there and didn't say anything.
I didn't particularly like Mitchell standing over him and mouthing off but I don't think he spat anywhere near him

If you look at the video though it looks like it would have landed on Gray's head where he was lying on the ground...if Gray hadn't moved at just the right time. This shot if after Gray started getting up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Run repetitively, and you feel like you're going to throw up. You don't pay attention to who is or isn't around you. Slowest spit if he's aiming at an opponent.

I suppose it is Mitchell, the only guy who can knee somebody who he doesn't know is there

We are talking Mitchell here. Why didn't he turn to the right and spit away? Wouldn't put it past him tho.
Why would he need to, he's clearly not spitting on Gray by bending over and dribbling a slag to the ground.

TV pictures are well known to foreshorten images i.e. make things that are behind each other look a lot closer than they really are. That's why we all scream at the TV "COME ON TACKLE HIM MAKE AN EFFORT YOU WEAK LAZY *er TRADE HIM!!!!" before they switch to a wider angle where we realise the player is actually about 15 metres away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back