Has the AFL world overrated Taylor Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've noticed he seems to crumble a lot under pressure, wouldn't want him to be kicking after the Siren to win a match.
I dunno if the pressure comment is totally accurate though I can understand why some who maybe don't watch every Adelaide game could think that way. I think Tex is just very hit and miss, kind of an all or nothing player which means sometimes appears to thrive under pressure but other times totally missing. Adelaide are a noticeably better side when he's in form it's just that his form seems to fluctuate wildly within a season. That being said it's fairly common for them power type forwards to be like that as much of what they do relies on what's happening down the ground. I actually think Tex has had a pretty decent season and would have to be in AA calculations even if he doesn't quite get the nod.

I dont think you can underpay his knee recon.
Took him a year to gain confidence.
When he dominates he is the closest thing to Wayne Carey playing today. He takes the best defender and just doesnt lead out from the goal square.
If he put himself up for trade every single club would do unspeakable acts with a horse to get him.

Go watch his final against Freo a few years ago. He is one of the best kicks going around. Outside 50 there is no better forward.
Yeah that was a match he totally won for us, first half was terrible until he fired and that big one after siren at half time totally turned the match.

Love it when BF judges a player on one game, despite a number of big game performances to the contrary

Classic BF

He plays poorly and drops marks when he's got any form of injury. He hurt himself last week and then played a poor game.

He started the year sore and played not so well, had a rest, came back and played really well.

He probably should have been rested.

The number of big game performances isn't nearly as big as some would have you believe.

Won 2 finals off his own boot. That's a good start.

Was very good in another.

Tore up Geelong a couple of weeks ago.

I think it's decent number of big game performances.

He's rated about right.
The other night Syd decided to play Rampe on him instead of Grundy and he was a bit too good, but doubt Walker was 100%. Noone except kiddies would expect a KPF carrying a niggle can go into a game against high quality one on one defenders and dominate.
Would have thought his season has been pretty good.

I watched him closely the other night. He doesn't know how to mark the footy, a lot of contests he doesn't even get is hands on the ball. Doesn't get called out on it by the media like Buddy, at least Buddy can stand up straight in a one on one and use his height to take a grab. Has carved out a decent career considering this major deficiency in his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched him closely the other night. He doesn't know how to mark the footy, a lot of contests he doesn't even get is hands on the ball. Doesn't get called out on it by the media like Buddy, at least Buddy can stand up straight in a one on one and use his height to take a grab. Has carved out a decent career considering this major deficiency in his game.

Yep, he's as good a pack mark as Buddy

He gets called out in it

Go to a crows home game

Or read a brererton article

Nothing more than a "structure player" who gets talked up as a top shelf key foreward.

Nothing more than a "structure player" who gets talked up as a top shelf key foreward.
Embarrass yourself much?
402731_967e3048711e14bbfac0febe533d0628.JPG

5th in the Coleman, #1 player for scoreboard impact in the comp but yeah just a lame structure player.

I think Walker is a great player and is one of the best KPF's in the game. I'd have him somewhere around 5-10 without putting too much thought into it.

That said - does anyone really believe a goal assist is worth as much as a goal when assessing a players contributions? I think its a lot easier to register goal assists when you've got a good midfield that move the ball quickly and a powerful and deep forward line. Walker gets the benefit of having a lot of other really good targets to go to including Betts who is obviously the star of that forward line.

Despite the above - I still really rate Walker and his field kicking. He definitely really does impact a lot of matches and sets up plenty of goals. So maybe he gets the benefit of a nice looking stat in the goal assist column which maybe would be a bit lower in another team but that doesn't invalidate that he has captained his team to a very good season so far and he is still a very important target for them as well as kicking a good amount of goals himself.

Rated as best captain by his peers for the 2nd year in a row

But what would the players know, some of BF think he has been overrated..... ;)

Great work Tex! Just need to get 2 more wins to really make a hero of himself

I wouldn't think all players know how he is outside, or even during games. Plus a lot of players get away from football when not playing because it's their job.

I think Walker is a great player and is one of the best KPF's in the game. I'd have him somewhere around 5-10 without putting too much thought into it.

That said - does anyone really believe a goal assist is worth as much as a goal when assessing a players contributions? I think its a lot easier to register goal assists when you've got a good midfield that move the ball quickly and a powerful and deep forward line. Walker gets the benefit of having a lot of other really good targets to go to including Betts who is obviously the star of that forward line.

Despite the above - I still really rate Walker and his field kicking. He definitely really does impact a lot of matches and sets up plenty of goals. So maybe he gets the benefit of a nice looking stat in the goal assist column which maybe would be a bit lower in another team but that doesn't invalidate that he has captained his team to a very good season so far and he is still a very important target for them as well as kicking a good amount of goals himself.

Uh yeah they are just as important. If a forward gets a lace out pass 10m directly in front then he gets all the credit at the end of the day despite it being entirely on the bloke who created it.
Jesse Hogan kicked 7 against Brisbane yet I reckon all 7 were as a result of brilliant kicks or work up the field. Yet he is the hero because he got on the end of 7.

Plus that ACL Buddy had..........

Uh yeah they are just as important. If a forward gets a lace out pass 10m directly in front then he gets all the credit at the end of the day despite it being entirely on the bloke who created it.
Jesse Hogan kicked 7 against Brisbane yet I reckon all 7 were as a result of brilliant kicks or work up the field. Yet he is the hero because he got on the end of 7.
I agree.

For another example - Look at Dustys last quarter in the QF. 4 touches, 4 direct score assists including 2 goal assists in about 5 minutes of play which just blew the cats out of the water.

Players who have the capacity to consistently put players in scoring opportunities are worth their weight in gold. Walker is very good at that, plus is very capable of hitting the scoreboard himself. its a shame he did his knee when he did- he was really hitting his prime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back