Has the AFL world overrated Taylor Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was talking to someone about Mark Lecras and how his ACL (and a couple of injuries) really set his career back. Was telling how Mark would have probably gone on to play 250 games and kick +500 goals if not for it. I think the same apply. Unlike LeCras i don't think Tex's form has dropped of heaps since then but i don't think he will fulfill the expectations he had early on his career.

He's won 2 finals off his own boot. Been good in another. Been average in his other 3, when the midfield was getting smashed.

It's a good record.

He'd be CHF in every side in the comp and would make every side 3-4 goals better.

He's not a pack crasher Jonathan Brown type, get over it. Brown couldn't do half the stuff Tex does linking play etc. So it all evens out.

He's one of the most athletic and balanced big men in the history of the game and he's got an enormous kick. Comes up big in the clutch as well. Anyone who can't see that is either blind or a Port supporter (yes I can recognise they're usually the same thing).

He looks 19 or 20 in that 2nd one. You had to go a LONG way back to find a winning performance from him.

Would you like me to go back through every game he's played and show you all the games he's come up big when we've needed him? Because trust me, there have been plenty.

He's one of the most athletic and balanced big men in the history of the game and he's got an enormous kick. Comes up big in the clutch as well. Anyone who can't see that is either blind or a Port supporter (yes I can recognise they're usually the same thing).

One of the most athletic?
He reminds me a lot of Cameron Mooney in the way he can kick goals or passes with the wrong foot.
Takes a strong mark like Mooney too but he's more of a David Neitz/Cameron Mooney type in athletic prowess.

Guys like Schwarz, Richardson, Franklin, Goodes sit a fair way ahead of Tex Walker.

One of the most athletic?
He reminds me a lot of Cameron Mooney in the way he can kick goals or passes with the wrong foot.
Takes a strong mark like Mooney too but he's more of a David Neitz/Cameron Mooney type in athletic prowess.

Guys like Schwarz, Richardson, Franklin, Goodes sit a fair way ahead of Tex Walker.

To be fair, Buddy sits a fair way ahead of 99% of players who ever played the game.

But yes, Richardson probably played his best football as an attacking Wingman. And Goodes was at his best when on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, I really rate him, he's like a tall Hamish Hartlett.

He's won 2 finals off his own boot. Been good in another. Been average in his other 3, when the midfield was getting smashed.

It's a good record.

He'd be CHF in every side in the comp and would make every side 3-4 goals better.

He's not a pack crasher Jonathan Brown type, get over it. Brown couldn't do half the stuff Tex does linking play etc. So it all evens out.

He's averaging 2.7 goals a game so I don't see how he could make a team 3-4 goals better, if most clubs subtracted their own CHF right now and put him in there'd be a 1-2 goals difference. 3-4 goal difference is Buddy territory.

He's averaging 2.7 goals a game so I don't see how he could make a team 3-4 goals better, if most clubs subtracted their own CHF right now and put him in there'd be a 1-2 goals difference. 3-4 goal difference is Buddy territory.

The dude is second in the comp for goal assists, so yeah, 3-4 goals a game better off

I was a huge walker fan early days, back when he was relegated to sitting in the stands drinking beers under Neil Craig and no one liked him.

Having said that his goal kicking is much more hit or miss these days. He gets super stiff, some times he flushes it and sometimes he shanks it. It's 50/50.

And his movement is the real issue . He struggles to get to a lot of contests, and he has no second effort.

Still, a great presence on field and when he does something the team responds. I would rather him out there and as captain rather than not.

... and I say that even tho the prick has blocked me on twitter.

He can impact a game significantly. His contested marking on the lead is elite, efforts off the ball are important, and he gets everyone around him up. He definitely hits the contest hard as well. His very much in the Luke hodge mould, probably won't be covered with individual glory, but will always be a team first player and leader who you need for a clutch moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back