Has the AFL world overrated Taylor Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker is a good player. Not bad not great. Betts is an outright superstar. Jenkins has forged a career of profiting from the hard work of others.

Sometimes it works brilliantly. Sometimes they are exposed massively.

Simply not enough genuine ball winning talent.

But that isnt Tex's fault.
HairyO you're a stirrer mate. Tex is a great player.

Not so sure if he's overrated but dear god this shit is too casual...

Symptomatic of walker though. Crows were getting on top at that point so he looks great.

Went missing when the heat was on

Very rarely does a game winning thing. Very rarely kicks a bag. Very rarely is in the top 2 forwards in his team.

Sure, great.
Roughy's ordinary too then. They play very similar roles at present.

I know that Adelaide-bashing is 'in' this weekend, but jeez it's all pretty shallow. Adelaide have become a much more potent side under his leadership.

Roughy's ordinary too then. They play very similar roles at present.

I know that Adelaide-bashing is 'in' this weekend, but jeez it's all pretty shallow. Adelaide have become a much more potent side under his leadership.

Yet 3 weeks ago Rough kicked a winning goal.

And has booted dozens of goals in finals. Won a Coleman. Spent a season in the Ruck because Bailey did a knee. Half a dozen years of 50+. Etc.

Adelaide are a potent side because of Sloane and Betts. Keep them both quiet and they lose.

How is saying he is a good player bashing him?

Symptomatic of walker though. Crows were getting on top at that point so he looks great.

Forward does better when ball moved into forward line better. Good example.

Has stood up in finals and kicked huge goals before. Struggles when our inept midfield struggles. Not sure we can argue this.

Hasn't been his greatest year though, I'll give you that much.

Coming from a saints supporter lol. Half the league has no idea who your captain even is.

I'd take Swallow every day of the week over that old bald bloke you call a captain.
Old bald bloke? 27 and has hair isn't old or bald. Anyway you guys should make Justin Schmidt your captiain, he seems to lift you blokes to another level when he is playing, much more influential than dumbo walker

Old bald bloke? 27 and has hair isn't old or bald. Anyway you guys should make Justin Schmidt your captiain, he seems to lift you blokes to another level when he is playing, much more influential than dumbo walker
Still salty about that reaming we gave you a couple weeks back I see. Anyway I'm done here, you clearly have a vendetta against Tex for some unknown reason. Enjoy your minnow clubs mediocrity and irrelevance. :D

Still salty about that reaming we gave you a couple weeks back I see. Anyway I'm done here, you clearly have a vendetta against Tex for some unknown reason. Enjoy your minnow clubs mediocrity and irrelevance. :D
If it wasn't t for our club your club wouldn't exist. So you are welcome. Happy joe the goose to you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

23 weeks is a bloody long time in footy. He's had games where he's looked fantastic and games where he's struggled. Not the only player in this category.

Lately he's been a bit off but with the personnel Adelaide have up forward he won't dominate every week. Crows fans would know, is he carrying any injury of sorts? Old man reckons groin injury - could be wrong.

Tex's value is as a leader as much as his on-field performance.

I do remember someone on another site though who posted an analysis of when Tex kicks his goals and the margin at the time, as distinct to other top forwards. The stat was something like giving each goal a weighting based on the margin divided by the minutes played, the lower the better (ie kicking a goal when leading by 60 points after 60 minutes, compared to kicking a goal when trailing by 1 point after 110 minutes).
As far as pure stats go it seemed pretty damning on Walker, as it didn't take into account goal assists as well.
I might see if I can find it.

I always said, attending every home game, from a good vantage point, that Tex makes the easy look hard and the hard look easy. Thats not the trait of a great player. Someone mentioned today that he is a "touch" player a bit like D Jarman. That fits my throw away line on him.When he is in touch, wow he is real quality, when he is out of touch, he is frustratingly ordinary.

Tex's value is as a leader as much as his on-field performance.

I do remember someone on another site though who posted an analysis of when Tex kicks his goals and the margin at the time, as distinct to other top forwards. The stat was something like giving each goal a weighting based on the margin divided by the minutes played, the lower the better (ie kicking a goal when leading by 60 points after 60 minutes, compared to kicking a goal when trailing by 1 point after 110 minutes).
As far as pure stats go it seemed pretty damning on Walker, as it didn't take into account goal assists as well.
I might see if I can find it.
Was the analysis adjusted for the fact the crows win most games by more than 7 or 8 goals?

Was the analysis adjusted for the fact the crows win most games by more than 7 or 8 goals?
Don't remember it that well, I'm guessing it didn't (and the Crows have had a lot of those) But that was the point - if you are kicking goals only when your team is 7-8 in front in the last quarter, it wouldn't be worth much. A bit like the definition of junk time, or how Supercoach weights a players performance based on how close the game is. Actually, maybe it was Champion Data that did it?

Don't remember it that well, I'm guessing it didn't (and the Crows have had a lot of those) But that was the point - if you are kicking goals only when your team is 7-8 in front in the last quarter, it wouldn't be worth much. A bit like the definition of junk time, or how Supercoach weights a players performance based on how close the game is. Actually, maybe it was Champion Data that did it?
Yeah, but have a look at Damon_3388 stats below - these are the stats of the captain of the side that is sitting top. Doesn't this tell you the story? Anyone who says they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to have tex at CHF for their side is crazy.

3rd in total goals
4th in goals per game
2nd in goal assists per game
2nd in score involvements per game

What more should he be doing, exactly?

I think you'll find he's overrated by other teams supporters and media commentators more so than Crows supporters.

He's a good player, but, the media especially, occasionally talk about him being Carey-like, which is a bloody high bar to compare to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back