On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

After Near and Far last night, the wife and I caught up with the rest of our Pandemic Legacy group together this afternoon. July a fail and then a success. The first time through we thought with our Red disease now able to be treat all cubes by anyone we'd be able to get by without the Medic. It didn't work out that way though. Back to the Medic for the second try and success. We didn't have the faded spread any more cities outside of our yellow zone, so looks like keeping the Medic around a little while longer yet.

Last edited:
Arcadia Quest for the first time last night. Just played the one scenario; more of a test run really. A fair bit of set-up but probably took longer as it was our first go. Also took some time to get our head around all the rules and cards. Once you get that down though it's not difficult.

Had fun though. I also won. Look forward to playing a campaign.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155068/arcadia-quest

Another round of Shadow War.

fbcfe86c1f7b6b74dc5fa891d620b3af.jpg

Ambush scenario - my Astra Militarum defending.

42534e20240f3965046b1abc60891479.jpg

Lucky roll let me place units wherever I liked, so I got in a good position to counter ambush.

6bfb4d1e36c1b75a8797eb2d572e37c4.jpg

Lol flamer!

f3fef3acd556264931eb223d3053b6d5.jpg

End up losing to snipers and a tough as nails leader. And a failed bottle test.

Note: Get clip harnesses with this round's points. 6 inch falls are nasty.

95350b9596f2f2692f1bf5f2f8d09192.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Had 3 games of enchanted forest over the werkend with my 6 year old princess and then tonight we played Ghost Fightin treasure Hunters again and I beat castle panic solo mode

Recently went through my game boxes in storage and took out all three boxes of Space Crusade (Milton Bradley/Games Workshop, 1990). My partner and I sorted out the three boxes until we had built up a complete single box of components and then organised all the other parts as spares. Then we got a couple of other people around to begin a campaign game. We got through the first two scenarios, but my partner didn't enjoy the game as much as we hoped and fro the second scenario it was two space marine chapters against the forces of chaos. Pretty big learning curve for all of us, but I think I'm ready now (certainly inspired!) as the chaos player to cause some serious trouble for the space marine players when we get back to the campaign.

http://www.starquestmuseum.de/

Friday night Scythe, lost badly. Crimea as my faction and Engineering as my player mat. Not surprised afterwards, looking at good and bad Faction / player mat combinations that it's not a good one to have. Resources after and benefits between the two (and starting position) not a good mix. Still, s**t happens.

Redeemed myself last night winning Above and Below. So split 1-1 with the wife so far this weekend. I'll take that as keeping the marriage functioning happily :p

pic2369829_t.jpg

El Gaucho - Had a few plays of this now and it's a definite keeper. The art is very deceptive, it looks light and fluffy, but damn it's actually a real brain burner.

pic1982066_t.jpg

Ancient Terrible Things - A new pick-up and first play. Good fun little dice roller with great art. Some nice strategy, but a bit of downtime between turns ... mainly from 1 player. Definately worth the time and will be staying in my collection.

How difficult is it to pick up the rules and game mechanics of Scythe? I watched a how to play video and I have to admit I was overwhelmed. Seems to be a lot of moving parts.
Looks harder then it is. Lots of pieces etc, but it boils down to each turn can do one of four actions from part of your board, then optionally one of four from the other part. A few extra bits of a fight with mechs (which is rare, had two the first time played, none the second, the mechs are more to discourage others from attacking you) and objectives, but that's the bulk of it.

Once you've done two or three turns it starts to flow. I've enjoyed both my games so far (one win, one loss) and looking forward to playing with more than two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent a couple of days coming to grips with 'The Road to Cheren' a small game that simulates WWII action in Eritrea between the Italians and Allied forces. It's a tough game for either side to win not only because each side has a number of chits that allow surprise tactical actions (roadblocks, withdrawal before combat, extra supplies, and air support etc) but because as the allies head east the terrain gets more difficult. The rougher and more elevated the terrain the fewer combat units a player can squeeze into a space increasing the risk of losing units to combat. The difficult terrain also makes it hard to keep units in supply, so unless one is willing to put units at risk of attrition through lack of supply the player will most likely concentrate their action along (winding, mountain-flanked) roads. 'Native' units can change sides, but the prospect of having enemy units in one's midst isn't as threatening as one might fear. The game delivers a verisimilitude of supplying and waging a mobile war in tight confines with dwindling resources.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/137626/road-cheren

It'll be interesting to compare this game to the more comprehensive 'Lion of Judah', due this October, which covers the Italian conquest and loss of Ethiopia over 1935-41.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171742/lion-judah-war-ethiopia-1935-1941

As per the games owned thread, got hold of Machi Koro, Bright Lights, Big City today. Ran it through with kids and friends for a win. Followed up by the regular Pandemic Legacy crew pushing through August. A loss, then a win.

Our first collapsed city in the second try. Still not doing too badly, as still just the one faded city outside our original yellow CoDA area. Picked the nuclear option as one of our upgrades the first time, but haven't used it. Much strong debate on whether to get the card, 2 of us (including me) strongly in favour, one against, with one neutral, so we've got ready to use, if it's a real last resort option, to play.

Last edited:
Looks harder then it is. Lots of pieces etc, but it boils down to each turn can do one of four actions from part of your board, then optionally one of four from the other part. A few extra bits of a fight with mechs (which is rare, had two the first time played, none the second, the mechs are more to discourage others from attacking you) and objectives, but that's the bulk of it.

Once you've done two or three turns it starts to flow. I've enjoyed both my games so far (one win, one loss) and looking forward to playing with more than two.
i played Scythe for the first time on the weekend. The rules are pretty simple really - like Andre says you can only do one of your actions and you also cant do the same action twice. The only stumbling block was knowing how the board interacted and how to make "goals". I wasnt real clear on how much i had to spread my meeples out or the best way of deciding which resource to go for. I attacked someone's meeples for resources. a terrible idea. not worth it. Looking forward to play again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back