Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Jetta was awesome too...

Ex St Kilda player Nathan Burke had a few choice words about him -
Burke described Jetta’s work-rate as ‘borderline disgraceful’, with just seven touches

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Excluding his 2 goals in extra time last week (which were very important), JJK basically only scored 1 goal in each of the last 3 games... :(
You have to ask the question was he really fit and completely over his calf injury. Maybe he was initially and it came back to aggravate in his last couple of games. He appeared a bit slow at times when on the move?

I can tell he's in your cross hairs right now :darts: ;)

Can't say i disagree. Very close to the 50 game mark so the honeymoon period will start to be over for him in his 4th season (2018).

10 touches in both his last 2 games isn't exactly crash hot. But you can't deny there were some exciting signs this year, albeit inconsistent. His derby game obviously shows what he's capable of. Unfortunately for us he couldn't really back things up after that.

All in all, he's improving statistically but it's not as fast any of us would like. Unlike everyone crying about him constantly getting pinged in tackles, i actually don't mind the way he tries to unsuccessfully break or sidestep tacklers. I think plenty are also glossing over the fact that he's sold into trouble by his teammates in the first place.

I don't think he's ever going to be a player who can sidestep and shrug tackles that well. He's definitely had some good games but as I say he's done most of them as a loose man in defense.

Putrid was a harsh call but I just do not have faith in his development.

No forward won, Only JD had some sort of effort but doesn't have the class..

Mids outclassed and our paces. Dumb coaching.
a couple of back had a go. Yoe greatly over hyped.

For the future - Barrass and Sheed stood up = - perhaps add Duggen

What interested me at the ground was the huge lift in effort in the last quarter - is can be done. Capitulation early was disappointing

lift in last quarter due to gws slacking off not us being good

Very few positives other than...hopefully there are no untouchables on the list anymore. Players "playing through pain" despite their skills and footballing ability being nonexistent has been tiresome these last 2 years.
None of our players have really proven anything like being able to play through an injury. Gaff & Lecras biggest culprits.

I am backing Simpson and I have been saying that he has spent this year taking on the untouchables in the squad and we have seen Priddis, Lecras & Masten miss more games than they would have otherwise and believe its him doing this to be able to make those changes.
So now we can see what Sheed & Redden are like with full time midfield minutes.

Barrass I thought played well and will form a pretty reliable defence with McGovern for the next few years.

Shuey's finals series has been good.

Negatives are:
Gaff - has had a pretty average year. I don't care how many km's he covers his skills are terrible once he has done all of that running to get into position. Cant take a tackler on as he has no pace or elusiveness is easily shut down due to not having a right foot at all. For an outside player those things spell disaster. It culminated in last nights performance where they put up the km's covered and apart from Gaff the rest were GWS players and the thing about it was that not one of the players from GWS was as bigger waster of the football as Gaff. This guy absolutely relies on us dominating now and even then he is a momentum killer who doesn't back his own skills to open up the play. Did that 1 or 2 games this year only (WB 2nd game & Adel). Was playing injured earlier apparently but we were told that the week off before the finals miraculously got him up for the finals.

Cripps - this guy would want to have been playing injured last night which again if he was is just s**t house management by the team. Was terrible and didn't have his foot speed last night. Several plays where he was waltzed past by GWS players without offering a whimper. Too robotic and beyond his chasing doest have another string to his bow. I dont think chasing is the be all and end all of pressure. Smarter players do less chasing and the best defensive forwards are quick but also read the play and setup to be able to use their pace in better circumstances. Not just chasing tail. I don't think he has this. No imagination or creativity with ball in hand and despite his pace cant get separation on his opponent with ball coming in.

Lecras - playing injured and it was silly of the club to allow him to do so. If he goes on next year has to be told that credits are done and runs are off the board and starts behind Rioli & Karpany for that position.

Sheed - playing injured as well. Big fan and thought he had a good year when given the on the ball duties. Hasn't really wanted to tackle or be tackled due to that shoulder and has been playing as such of the month of the season. Cant take a player into finals who doesn't really want that contact.

Sheppard - Not sure what happened to this guy. Was a great performer in the 2015 finals but completely shat the bed on a few big moments across the 2 games this year. You are watching the play unfold and thinking "ok he is in the lead for the ball he cant let it get behind him...ok it got behind him because he completely ran over the ball...well he just cant go to ground now that he is in a 1 on 1 with the player that now has the ball...ok he went to ground under minimal physical pressure...goal". Hope he can get back to his last 2 years the the was super dependable and perhaps can be forgiven for the weight of possessions coming down to the defence.

Gaff - has had a pretty average year. I don't care how many km's he covers his skills are terrible once he has done all of that running to get into position. Cant take a tackler on as he has no pace or elusiveness is easily shut down due to not having a right foot at all. For an outside player those things spell disaster. It culminated in last nights performance where they put up the km's covered and apart from Gaff the rest were GWS players and the thing about it was that not one of the players from GWS was as bigger waster of the football as Gaff. This guy absolutely relies on us dominating now and even then he is a momentum killer who doesn't back his own skills to open up the play.

I agree. So many times when tackled or in traffic he panics and does a short little floating kick that seems to mostly fall into enemy hands. Then it sails back over his head - so his possession ends up losing metres not gaining metres. If he doesn't have the strength to break the tackles, or the evasive skills or the smarts to avoid them, or the leg strength to at least boof it 40m then he would be better to cause a ball up so we can reset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kicking skill level of our players is the biggest negative of the club in my view.
It is staggering any player can be even drafted on to an AFL list that is not an elite kick yet our club as well as most other clubs continue to draft poorly skilled footballers.
Sheed, Duggan, Priddis, Gaff, Cripps, Hutchings are all C Grade skilled kicks of a football. It is little wonder we turn the ball over so often.

+
We didn't waste putting Naitanui at risk for that. Onwards to 2018!

Just wanted to pop by and say you guys have a great future

tenor.gif

+ It was a blowout, which is somehow easier to stomach or at least sit through than say a 4 goal loss.
+ We were spent, the last two weeks we played above our capability - it would have been draining, pretty obvious outcome in hindsight.
+ Our best player returns next year.

- It's no coincidence that we played a lot better with Priddis in the centre and with him finding form, the last few weeks - and what does that say? I know he's been even more of a whipping boy this year, but I think we're quickly going to find out that he hasn't been our problem and that the cupboard is well and truly bare.
- Seriously - what's our first choice midfield? Sheed's a worry, we have an army of midfielders cum half back flankers that get lost in the middle Duggan, Yeo, Wellingham etc. Redden looks OK, but he's not a match winner - which leaves us with Shuey, still our only B+ / A grade midfielder.

It's gonna be a lean and perplexing few years gentlemen. We're caught in the frustrating position of having a good forward line, a great backline and a midfield that Nic Nat is once again going to have to save. There are no easy fixes, no ready made midfielders that suit our needs and our list is aging meaning draftees aren't going to help until it's too late.

We're in purgatory.

Get your head out of your arse.
You think one of his last 8 games has been an adequate performance? Blokes the wrong side of 30, with a hip injury verging on chronic. He can't play 2018 with the same set of seagulling performances he put forward this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back