Opinion What could Port do better to engage supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

With all this anger about Jack not being selected prior to the elimination final, perhaps to engage supporters better is to each week release a wild card selection, just one, to the supporters on who we want to see play.... is that crazy? I am sure there are plenty of formats supporters can make there selection via the club website with a poll voting system.

I dont mind the idea... however i think most will probably say

giphy.gif

They need to try something new because 41k to a final on a Saturday night was pretty disappointing.

The place was pretty damn full. I'd love to know where we could've shoehorned another 10k.

There were large whole empty bays in what would have been general admission which suggests to me a combination of three things

Yes some disengagement, blocks set aside
for opposition fans set put back into the pool late, and the AFL setting prices at that level too high for that section of our fan base.

Whatever the reason (and despite the result) where I was in the riverdance rocked and left nothing out on the field.

I am not a yeller, more of a quiet fist pumper but my throat is still sore.

Anyone know if there is a HD version of NTUA from Sat night?

I was sitting above the cheer squad who always do a fantastic job... if I could give any feedback from the night it would be just before ball up (any qtr) you guys started chanting which was great, only thing is Welshy was still talking while speakers had loud music. This drained you guys out... so...

- either don't start anything until the music stops...
- or tell the club to give you 20-30 seconds before each bounce up to get the crowd rocking

I'm sure the players would react better to a loud POWER chant, opposed to irrelevant music.

Nevertheless, good job as always! Wish there was another 100 of you guys.. would be like an EPL game

The Chappell stand component of the western stand was probably half full so there is 3k. Of the 14k seats in the western stand I reckon about 9k were being used.

With all this anger about Jack not being selected prior to the elimination final, perhaps to engage supporters better is to each week release a wild card selection, just one, to the supporters on who we want to see play.... is that crazy? I am sure there are plenty of formats supporters can make there selection via the club website with a poll voting system.

I dont mind the idea... however i think most will probably say

giphy.gif

1vn0dc.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not playing the most frustrating bullshit ever witnessed would be a good start.

Everyone can see we are better than our output suggests. Everyone can see our skills and forward setups are garbage.

If I wanted to watch the exact same awful thing happen 60+ times a game with no obvious attempts to fix it, I may as well just bang my head against the wall, it's equally exciting.

We played a billionty games this year and our forward line looked functional in two or three - against garbage opposition.

Furthermore, our midfield is an utter disgrace. Whatever they are being coached is clearly completely wrong. We get belted for long periods without a clearance and when we do clear the ball, it's wide.

Then when these players get their hands on it, they are ******* turnover merchants. Wines, Ebert, Boak all can't kick. Even Wingard has lost his field kicking and his goal kicking.

Then we solidify the problem by experiencing the exact same problems in the reserves side.

What the heck is going on.

Hentchel, Lade, Voss, Nicks - all of you, heck off.

I post this in every thread but nobody has forgotten how to kick. Players miss targets because they don't have a reliable system for moving the ball.

I really feel for Ben and the rest of the marketing team. You absolutely cannot sell the s**t sandwich that is Port Adelaide football at the moment.

I have wonderful seats that I'd never give up, and even if I felt like I wanted to drop my membership, i'd never go through with it because i'm a die hard. But i'd wager that everyone on this board knows someone who won't be continuing their membership next year. People will accept ugly footy if it's successful. People will accept unsuccessful footy if you're a developing side and playing above expectaction. People won't accept footy which is ugly, unsuccessful and below expectation.

I post this in every thread but nobody has forgotten how to kick. Players miss targets because they don't have a reliable system for moving the ball.

I really feel for Ben and the rest of the marketing team. You absolutely cannot sell the s**t sandwich that is Port Adelaide football at the moment.

I have wonderful seats that I'd never give up, and even if I felt like I wanted to drop my membership, i'd never go through with it because i'm a die hard. But i'd wager that everyone on this board knows someone who won't be continuing their membership next year. People will accept ugly footy if it's successful. People will accept unsuccessful footy if you're a developing side and playing above expectaction. People won't accept footy which is ugly, unsuccessful and below expectation.
Yes quite a few will allow this to Tear Us Apart. Shame that.

Living in Melbourne and going to a lot of neutral games I can guarantee you that our 'match day experience' is still head and shoulders above anything that happens over here. A few tweaks here or there might freshen things up (get rid of that stupid drummer thing) but I wouldn't be making any fundamental changes.

As many others have mentioned, the disengagement really stems from three years of perceived underachievement from a boring, predictable and ultimately unsuccessful game plan.

There are two things that professional sports teams can easily sell to engage fans: success and/or hope. At the moment we don't have a lot of either so the membership department will be pushing s**t uphill this offseason!

Hopefully a couple of 'big' free agent signings can create some hope and optimism for improvement in 2018!

Joining the chorus who don't get enjoyment from going to our games anymore. Has nothing to do with match day experience etc.
I have zero excitement as we have been reading from the same script for three years. Even when we get within a kick I just know we will find a way to heck it up. Just worn down after three years of the same performances. Be nice to see us score an easy goal from time to time rather than individual brilliance required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back