Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Communism doesn't work mate.

Neither does paying half the team a million bucks like we would of had to to keep them when there's a salary cap.

Look at it like this.

Say we have 44 players that we pay 250k.. A price that all other clubs agree is a fair price. We then develop them all in to players that other teams are willing to pay a million each to.

Clearly the salary cap doesn't allow us to keep all 44 players and pay 44 million dollars.

Developing players into players that other clubs are willing to pay big $$$ for isn't a culture problem lol. It's the opposite.

We just need to select players with more ticker and loyalty.

But If lever stands there and looks you in the eye 3 yrs ago and says he wants to be a 10 to 15 yr Crows player and prove everyone wrong that let him slip to pick 14 I would probably tend to believe him as well.

Problem is our culture developed him into a player other teams are willing to pay a million bucks to. As we have with many others. We simply can't afford to pay every player our culture develops.

And the question has to be asked. How many of these players have gone on to prove they are worth the roughly million dollar price they were asking from us or offered by other clubs? It would seem we may have been the club getting the best out of them.

Tippett? Fail. Would have been a major mistake to better Sydney's offer.

Phil Davis? Was good for us for the 19 games or so he played. But he ain't worth a million bucks given the last 5 years he's had.

Bock? Lol.

Gunston? He was just a child that wanted to go home. Nothing we could do about that one. Is he the star player these days anyway that you can build a team around?..i don't think so.

Dangerfield? Probably worth the asking price, but he still can't kick and he wouldn't have stayed anyway. Wanted to get back to mogs Creek.

Lever? Worth a million a year? Time will tell.

One things for sure we couldn't afford to pay them all what other clubs were willing to pay them and retain the other players we have (the Sloane, crouch brothers, talia, McGovern, tex, betts etc.) and made a grand final and be in the position we are currently in to challenge again when there's a team salary cap of around 12 million.

Adelaide fans have accepted the fact we are good at turning players that are worth 300-600k in to players other clubs are willing to pay a million dollars for.

Claiming that as a culture problem is the opposite of reality. It's fantasy. Having a culture where we can do that is a good thing. Selecting players that are loyal and value that loyalty and success over $$$ is our only possible criticism.

Last edited:
You would have to question their leadership group. Only inner sanctum would know reasons. Perhaps their decision making perceived biased? The coaching group certainly gets good value advancing juniors into good adult players. I would be pointing at Tex and co. Their media personalities might be funny and saying right messages but dont connect with the other talent in the group. A theory.

I would also put a media muzzle on Josh Jenkins if i were you

And the question has to be asked. How many of these players have gone on to prove they are worth the roughly million dollar price they were asking from us or offered by other clubs? It would seem we may have been the club getting the best out of them.

Tippett? Fail. Would have been a major mistake to better Sydney's offer.

Phil Davis? Was good for us for the 19 games or so he played. But he ain't worth a million bucks given the last 5 years he's had.

Bock? Lol.

Gunston? He was just a child that wanted to go home. Nothing we could do about that one. Is he the star player these days anyway that you can build a team around?..i don't think so.

Dangerfield? Probably worth the asking price, but he still can't kick and he wouldn't have stayed anyway. Wanted to get back to mogs Creek.

Lever? Worth a million a year? Time will tell.

One things for sure we couldn't afford to pay them all what other clubs were willing to pay them and retain the other players we have (the Sloane, crouch brothers, talia, McGovern, tex, betts etc.) and made a grand final and be in the position we are currently in to challenge again when there's a team salary cap of around 12 million.

Adelaide fans have accepted the fact we are good at turning players that are worth 300-600k in to players other clubs are willing to pay a million dollars for.

Claiming that as a culture problem is the opposite of reality. It's fantasy. Having a culture where we can do that is a good thing. Selecting players that are loyal and value that loyalty and success over $$$ is our only possible criticism.
Well going by this you only lose average players so there's no problem then.

You would have to question their leadership group.
For On ground performance on GF day? Sure. But not for the retention of players. Look at my posts above as to the real reason we "Can't retain" players. Basically it's a problem of our own making. Our culture turns 300-600k players into players other clubs are willing to pay a million a yr.

When you have a salary cap of 12 million for the team and lose 6 players that 6 other clubs are paying a million a yr, surely you can see how we couldn't build a team with spending 6 million on 6 players and 6 million on 38 other players lol. It's just not feasible.

I know Victorians will go nuts at this suggestion but I think every club, no matter what club it is, should get an extra 10% for individual players if they are drafted from another state.

So for Adelaide, every non-South Australian on their list gets an extra 10% on their contract.
Cheaper to live there. They should get less . Reverse COLA

Dangerfield is the only player to go on and play better football at his new club than he played for us. No?
Gunston was huge for Hawks in their era and is far better than Jenkins, Bock was badly injured so who knows, Davis playing good footy in a good side and would definitely still be in your backline instead of ummm what's his name again? Tippet=Spud, Danger Brownlow. Lever will be a huuuuuge loss.

Lost Davis and Bock to new teams for money.
Lost Gunston as he was a mummy's boy.
Kept Danger for 7 years.
Lever another mummy's boy.
So I think we are just drafting the wrong players. Need to draft more Sa players and players with good character.
Lever isn’t a mummy’s boy. He’s just more interested in a bigger pay packet at the expense of a better shot at a premiership.

He can say it’s about family all he wants, but the reality is he told Adelaide he’d stay if they paid him close to what Melbourne is offering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston was huge for Hawks in their era and is far better than Jenkins, Bock was badly injured so who knows, Davis playing good footy in a good side and would definitely still be in your backline instead of ummm what's his name again? Tippet=Spud, Danger Brownlow. Lever will be a huuuuuge loss.

Even if they all went on to be guns for other clubs (which they haven't) would you be happy or think it's feasible for your club to pay 6 players 6 million and divide the other 6 million to 38 other players? lol.

It's not a criticism on us that we turn 300-600k players in to million dollar players. It's a compliment. Whether the player decides $$$ are more important than team success, that's up to them.

Burton said it wouldn't be fair on the rest of the group to pay lever what he was asking as they wouldn't get what they are worth. It's not rocket science. We will still do well out of turning him in to a million dollar player. 10 Vicco clubs to deal with, we will be well compensated .

Lever isn’t a mummy’s boy. He’s just more interested in a bigger pay packet at the expense of a better shot at a premiership.

He can say it’s about family all he wants, but the reality is he told Adelaide he’d stay if they paid him close to what Melbourne is offering.
He also told the Crows 3 yrs ago he wanted to be a 10 to 15 yr Crows player.

See post above. Danger is a different case because he wanted to be in Moggs Creek and we were the only club that could offer him that. Plus I doubt he pays for anything anywhere in Geelong.
Dangerfield definitely only wanted to go to Geelong.

That said, it probably also helps when Frank Costa employs several members of Dangerfield’s extended family. Apparently they earn surprisingly good rates in those positions, but I’m sure it’s only because they are very good at their jobs and are invaluable to the business. ;)

Even if they all went on to be guns for other clubs (which they haven't) would you be happy or think it's feasible for your club to pay 6 players 6 million and divide the other 6 million to 38 other players? lol.

It's not a criticism on us that we turn 300-600k players in to million dollar players. It's a compliment. Whether the player decides $$$ are more important than team success, that's up to them.

Burton said it wouldn't be fair on the rest of the group to pay lever what he was asking as they wouldn't get what they are worth. It's not rocket science. We will still do well out of turning him in to a million dollar player. 10 Vicco clubs to deal with, we will be well compensated .

Lol since when were Nathan Bock and Phil Davis offered 1,000,000 per year average from any clubs...

It's well known Danger took a pay cut to go to Geelong. Lever is on 800k, Gunston was like 500-600k and Tippett 750.

I hear Betts was lured over on 1mil a year too...see it's easy to just make up s**t.

That said, it probably also helps when Frank Costa employs several members of Dangerfield’s extended family. Apparently they earn surprisingly good rates in those positions, but I’m sure it’s only because they are very good at their jobs and are invaluable to the business. ;)
I like playing make believe too! Funny that you'd say this as you support a club that got busted making under the table payments

One area the Crows should look into is why wasn't Lever signed for 4 years early on in his first year. A lot of young players will lock in to 4 years to get financial security should things go wrong. If there was a spot where Adelaide were cheap or conservative it might've been when he got a 3rd year but not a 4th.
You can’t force players to sign contracts. Lever’s manager would have been telling him to hold off on signing any more than the 1 year extension he signed as he would be able to play well in his second and third years to get a bigger contract.

This isn't the bay, you shouldn't be making claims like this with zero evidence.

Can someone give me a link or summary for the BT interference business?
Apparently BT and Lever’s Dad are friends and BT has been helping shop Lever around to various clubs (along with talking him up every time Lever plays in a game that BT commentated in).

BT was also the one who interviewed Lever in his (I’m assuming paid for) Lebron-style “The Decision” interview on Channel 7 last night.

It's about getting the team to play for the club and not so much the money, look at the Cats and Hawks teams, most of those players could've cashed in big time at other clubs but played for less to become premiership players, that's the argument, why won't Crows players play for the club?

I cant think off the top of my head......surely there are or were players who wanted to go home to SA who plied their trade in non SA states before? Same same?

Graham Cornes interview on SEN was pretty good, frank and honest. He mentioned that he would not have played Lever if he was Pyke (easy to say when you're not the coach). But it was raised that Sloan may be in the same position next year Cornes said he would play RS BUT only if he was honest and announced his intentions early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back