Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair to say if Menzel has a number of suitors, including his home state, surely his preference is to stay at the Cattery or return to his home state. Freo just doesn't make sense, especially with Cam and Kersten already here.
Menzel did not finish in the top 20 of the cats B and F.

The Crows do not need him, not sure about Port.

He can finish and is ok at marking for his height but will provide no defensive pressure. That is why there are limited suitors.

He can finish and is ok at marking for his height but will provide no defensive pressure. That is why there are limited suitors.
I thought that article said he had "a number of other suitors." I reckon if he's after the best contract, GCS would be right into him. Brisbane not so much as it would compromise their Rockliff compo; maybe they can trade for him.

How many goals did our leading goalkicker kick this year and how many did Menzel kick?

How many goals did our leading goalkicker kick this year and how many did Menzel kick?
40 goals Menzel, 25 goals McCarthy and Kersten each roughly.

How many goals would he kick in our forward line?
Will he make our team better? or will the loss of forward pressure put too much pressure on our back half?

I am not saying don't get him. All I am saying it is not as clear cut as some people think.

40 goals Menzel, 25 goals McCarthy and Kersten each roughly.

How many goals would he kick in our forward line?
Will he make our team better? or will the loss of forward pressure put too much pressure on our back half?

I am not saying don't get him. All I am saying it is not as clear cut as some people think.
Menzel had a statistically anomalous season too, a historically poor shot for goal (worse than the average player) scored at a rate much higher than the expected goals from his chances

It would be great if he could keep that up but history suggests otherwise

Then you would factor in our f50 entries which are lesser in volume and quality and it's hard to see him getting anywhere near the same mark

Disclaimer: this is not intended as accurate analysis on which to base a decision one way or the other re Menzel.

If you add Hogan, Matera and Menzel to our forward line (alongside Walters, Bennell & McCarthy) and they maintain their average output from 2017 we go from the absolute bottom for goals and goal assists per game to top 4.

We were the worst team for forward pressure in 2017. We can't really get any worse - the ball is already rebounding out like a yo-yo.

Warm to Menzel Now , who care what might happen later on for the team , make some move during FA period .

Disclaimer: this is not intended as accurate analysis on which to base a decision one way or the other re Menzel.

If you add Hogan, Matera and Menzel to our forward line (alongside Walters, Bennell & McCarthy) and they maintain their average output from 2017 we go from the absolute bottom for goals and goal assists per game to top 4.

We were the worst team for forward pressure in 2017. We can't really get any worse - the ball is already rebounding out like a yo-yo.
Did you take out the goals and assists from the players they would be replacing though?

I sure hope we would be top 4 for scoring if we played with 21 on the field!

Edit - maybe I misread and you were just adding up the contribution of the 6 you named

I was surprised when GWS picked up Tendai and MDB.

Given they are full of front running, 1st round, cushie show ponies, who want to play pure footy and not get hurt; they need someone to break them down. Someone to be first into a fracas. Someone who's mongrel is not because he's a s**t bloke but because he believes in something greater. Someone like one Nic Suban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given they are full of front running, 1st round, cushie show ponies, who want to play pure footy and not get hurt; they need someone to break them down. Someone to be first into a fracas. Someone who's mongrel is not because he's a s**t bloke but because he believes in something greater. Someone like one Nic Suban.
GWS are possibly the team most likely to offer a tiny contract, which would mean zero compo.

The GWS supporters (and i'm guessing club) have been really happy with the professionalism MDB and Gu bought to the club. They wanted Gu to stay on as a development coach.

Did you take out the goals and assists from the players they would be replacing though?

I sure hope we would be top 4 for scoring if we played with 21 on the field!

Edit - maybe I misread and you were just adding up the contribution of the 6 you named
Yep just the 6 I named -> a forward line of Hogan, Matera, Menzel, Walters, Bennell and McCarthy.

edit - Menzel did have a good year this year so you'd be weighing up whether he could maintain being a better option than Kersten. It may not be worth it but I at least think it's worth looking at.

AFL.com.au being a real c*cktease...

f9ba71a297ff786b04120ed02468c435.jpg

On MIX using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thoughts on the prospect of turning Crozier into Wilson?
How much do we need to tip in to make that happen?
What improvement could we expect from Wilson over Crozier at half back and would Crozier + (something) = Wilson represent value?

Find the value of X in:
Crozier + X = Wilson
Wilson is far better than Crozier.

Doubt that we can offer Crozier to GWS and expect any type of deal to work. Crozier would want to go back to Vic

Back