List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Watts would be good for us. Fast, highly skilled, and tall. Main question is application, but he has things we need.
He has things Melbourne needs but has never been able to provide consistently enouh, hence the intervention by the Leadership group about his continued lack of application and partying lifestyle. If he has been struggling and under pressure for 9 years because of not living up to everybody else's expectations as a No 1 draft pick, why would he want to come to us? He will be eaten alive by the Pies supporters

What's everyone think about throwing Troy Menzel a lifeline?

Talented in his draft year.
A half forward type.

Just been told he won't be offered a new contract at Adelaide.

Worth a look I reckon.
He’s a lazy campaigner. All the talent in the world but CBF using it. If a team like Adelaide can’t get the best out of him then we’d have no hope. Pass.

Comparing forwards from yesteryear against modern day is apples to oranges. Different game styles, different defensive structures etc.
Yes you are right, but they are also a protected species. In days gone by a forward would have their arms chopped everytime he went for a mark, was blocked or held when going for a mark etc. Forwards now get a free if there is contact.

He has things Melbourne needs but has never been able to provide consistently enouh, hence the intervention by the Leadership group about his continued lack of application and partying lifestyle. If he has been struggling and under pressure for 9 years because of not living up to everybody else's expectations as a No 1 draft pick, why would he want to come to us? He will be eaten alive by the Pies supporters

I disagree with the bolded part. He is 26 and has copped it since 18 years old......he will be fine at the Pies.

He’s a lazy campaigner. All the talent in the world but CBF using it. If a team like Adelaide can’t get the best out of him then we’d have no hope. Pass.

I agree with you, but players can turn that type of attitude around.

I'd take him with a late pick or a rookie spot - not really bothered though.

Watts has things every club needs, that's why there will be a bunch bidding for him.

Melbourne didn't get the absolute best out of him, but what they got the last two years was still pretty good. Enough for him to be on our list and on that of just about any team, including Melbourne's. I think salary has a fair bit to do with why they are moving him, though lack of complete application would also be part of it.

One thing for certain: he is one of the best set shots in the game. Would be nice to have one of those.

This is my point though. That's about need. Are either of these players close to the 6th best in the draft? How much less likely is it that either becomes elite when compared to the guy we could have taken 6th - I don't know, a Fogarty or Coffield? And the final question is how certain are we that they will be there at 15 or 17? What if someone else takes them and we have to make do with an even lesser player who may not fill the same need?

There's a massive risk there if we do end up getting them, plus the risk that we might miss out. This is why I describe it as a scary suggestion. Hopefully we keep it simple and use pick 6 to get the best player possible. Elite players are worth so much more than a couple of good or pretty good players.

The last time we had multiple picks around that range we ended up with: Grundy, Broomhead and Kennedy. If we got a Grundy that played KPF or KPD plus another player who was only decent then moving down works. But if we only got two decent players (or worse one that's not even that, like Kennedy and one we are still trying to figure out in Broomhead), either from selecting poorly or missing on the Grundy level player, then it's a bust. Too much risk for mine.
Do we need them to be elite or consistent?

Watts has things every club needs, that's why there will be a bunch bidding for him.

Melbourne didn't get the absolute best out of him, but what they got the last two years was still pretty good. Enough for him to be on our list and on that of just about any team, including Melbourne's. I think salary has a fair bit to do with why they are moving him, though lack of complete application would also be part of it.

One thing for certain: he is one of the best set shots in the game. Would be nice to have one of those.
If he was consistent enough Melbourne would keep him as he would be providing a need. My concern is that he after 9 years in the system he may have reached his ceiling and if he comes to us and continues to play as he has, he will be crucified by the media and fans at a club like ours, when it has been reported in the past that the media and fan criticism has personally affected him

If we wanted to throw someone a lifeline via the rookie draft and add to our kpp prospects then we should look at Tyler Keitel.

Ultimately he mightn't be good enough for AFL level but he hasn't got an opportunity in an AFL system either so let's see.

To make the WAFL team of the year 2 years running and at opposite ends of the ground is a achievement worthy of a rookie opportunity I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you, but players can turn that type of attitude around.

I'd take him with a late pick or a rookie spot - not really bothered though.
If it was his first club I might agree, but he’s gone through two clubs now with no change of attitude, the second being in his home state. He doesn’t get what’s required and never will.

If Buckley leaves a legacy at all it will be the ability to pick who to get rid of with a high degree of success( or that player going backwards at their new clubs)
There's been criticism of our trading in recent years, but if you look at it we've actually been highly successful.

Most of the players traded in have been a success and most traded out have not been. Even looking at the Copeland: 5 of the top 10 were recently drafted in.

Adams
Treloar
Howe
Crisp
WHE

There's been criticism of our trading in recent years, but if you look at it we've actually been highly successful.

Most of the players traded in have been a success and most traded out have not been. Even looking at the Copeland: 5 of the top 10 were recently drafted in.

Adams
Treloar
Howe
Crisp
WHE
We certainly got 3 rippers from GWS.

Wouldn’t mind dealing with the Dees again either. Trade them another bag of coal for a shiny gem.

We certainly got 3 rippers from GWS.

Wouldn’t mind dealing with the Dees again either. Trade them another bag of coal for a shiny gem.

3 out of 4 is very good outcome

What's everyone think about throwing Troy Menzel a lifeline?

Talented in his draft year.
A half forward type.

Just been told he won't be offered a new contract at Adelaide.

Worth a look I reckon.
No way. At times we reckon Fasolo is lazy. Menzel eats him for breakfast

After the AFL has basically offered Lynch a blank cheque if he stays, I think we will be hard pressed to get him to leave.

Offered a blank cheque? That's just what the AFL wants you to think. Just AFL propaganda really. It's all about business these days for AFL. I doubt they actually care much for a club like Gold Coast that generates much revenues. I don't think AFL would mind too much if Lynch went to Collingwood because its definitely going to push us up the ladder which means more $$ for AFL.

Besides, Lynch will be 26 by the end of next season. Stupid of Gold Coast to sink a large proportion of their cap-space into someone who will retire by the time they even make finals next. It's so obvious that he will leave next year, Gold Coast may as well try and broker a trade for him this year and try and get something while they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back