Conspiracy Theory Does the afl try to manufacture narratives?

Does the AFL try to manufacture narratives?

• Yes

Votes: 215 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 22.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A good narrative:

Crows
Giants
Essendon
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Richmond
St Kilda
Brisbane Lions

Essendon out in straight sets, Dees make a prelim. GWS v Adelaide Grand Final, Brissy do relatively well; Port and Saints out in straight sets.

Gives hope to a few clubs while maintaining a presence in both New South Wales and Queensland. Richmond win a final and keep up some sort of momentum. Melbourne the next big thing, Giants finally capitalise, Port so-so again and St Kilda do the bare minimum.

There has never been a surer thing than an interstate team beating a Victorian team in the GF next year

My tip is GWS beat Geelong.

AFL will want the rumbling of Vic bias to go away and what better way to disprove the theory than have an interstate team win the big one verse the Vics? As soon as the topic comes up again BAM they can point to 2012 and 2018.

AFL know they need GWS to win soon as well.

Two birds with one stone.

Sorry Geelong but Richmond is the only other Vic team capable of making the big dance and AFL won't want to piss that mob off. Geelong have shown themselves to be pliable to fisting by allowing themselves to play at MCG.

Also means they can pump up Dangerflog all week and make comparisons to Dusty 17 all week

AFL won't want a Melbourne making it and losing so that'll have to wait until 2019.

I'll bump when I'm proven correct.

Motlop > Port
AFL 1st round compo > Geelong
Geelong compo from AFL > Ablett

Gotta say it's one of the AFL's more obvious ones.

Pick 19 for a $500k over 4 year contract (reported on their own website) after the recent salary cap increase...they're not even trying to hide the imbalance anymore.

Gotta say it's one of the AFL's more obvious ones.

Pick 19 for a $500k over 4 year contract (reported on their own website) after the recent salary cap increase...they're not even trying to hide the imbalance anymore.

Same reported contract as Mayne last year. That was band 3 compo.

Now after the salary cap increases, same contract gets better compo!

Farcical.
#freepickgeelong

I wish the AFL would try to manufacture a flag for my club for once......oh wait, we're just there to help fund Victorian clubs who sell games because their fans don't turn up to games.

This thread is becoming absurd...it went from the AFL capitalising on certain narratives eg. the fairytale of the Bulldogs and now the massive Tiger army get to wipe away decades of heartache, to a kind of acceptance that the AFL directly control outcomes such as which two teams get to play-off in the grand final.

There are far more logical discussions than this on the Conspiracy forum.

I believe the AFL have covered certain scandals up, but to suggest they directly control everything is absurd.

This thread is becoming absurd...it went from the AFL capitalising on certain narratives eg. the fairytale of the Bulldogs and now the massive Tiger army get to wipe away decades of heartache, to a kind of acceptance that the AFL directly control outcomes such as which two teams get to play-off in the grand final.

I believe the AFL have covered certain scandals up, but to suggest they directly control everything is absurd.

What's absurd is how some people can't see things that are right infront of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely convinced the AFL try to get things to go the way they want. It's laughable. FIFA, the NFL, there's just too much money at stake for them. They can't help themselves. There are so many bizarre decisions that get made and so many incredible umpiring decisions for this not to be the case. Watch whistle blowers and just sit back in awe of how much spin comes out of the AFL.

What compo did you get for Scott Selwood? Adjusted for cap increase Motlop got about the same pay for the same years for the same age.

The media write all narratives. If the AFL tries to concoct or control, someone like Robbo or Caro will turn it into a scandal, and that's just for starters. This applies to every organisation and individual within the footy world. There is no conspiracy, just opportunism, and the reporters are the ones looking for stories...

Absolutely convinced the AFL try to get things to go the way they want. It's laughable. FIFA, the NFL, there's just too much money at stake for them. They can't help themselves. There are so many bizarre decisions that get made and so many incredible umpiring decisions for this not to be the case. Watch whistle blowers and just sit back in awe of how much spin comes out of the AFL.

The second the AFL came up with the term 'equalisation' that was essentially code for 'we can do what ever we feel necessary to maximise profit'

They could probably legally get away with match fixing if they put up a plausible enough case for how it is in the best interests of the code.

I wish the AFL would try to manufacture a flag for my club for once......oh wait, we're just there to help fund Victorian clubs who sell games because their fans don't turn up to games.
Manufacture a win for your club would be a good result forget a flag dreamer

Yeh and the earth is flat and man never walked on the moon... damn u afl

What compo did you get for Scott Selwood? Adjusted for cap increase Motlop got about the same pay for the same years for the same age.
Not sure. And the AFL manipulating that kind of stuff falls into the realm of possibility IMO.

But that's a far cry from suggesting they actually directly control finals results, which seems to be the accepted view over the last couple of pages.

I agree that the umpiring in the 2016 GF was poor (particularly the injury to Hannebery as a result of an action - by Dale Morris I think - that was supposedly outlawed).

But how exactly did the AFL manufacture Richmond's success? Geelong played a final against Freo at the MCG in 2012 so the MCG argument is tenuous at best.

On GT-I9507 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure. And the AFL manipulating that kind of stuff falls into the realm of possibility IMO.

But that's a far cry from suggesting they actually directly control finals results, which seems to be the accepted view over the last couple of pages.

I agree that the umpiring in the 2016 GF was poor (particularly the injury to Hannebery as a result of an action - by Dale Morris I think - that was supposedly outlawed).

But how exactly did the AFL manufacture Richmond's success? Geelong played a final against Freo at the MCG in 2012 so the MCG argument is tenuous at best.

On GT-I9507 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They cant guarantee results, but they can certainly influence them.

Pick 37. That is what West Coast got for Selwood for what looks to be about the same sort of deal

Dumb post is dumb.

Dumb post is dumb.

Not really dumb when you think about it.

Under equilisation, money that should go to us actually goes to clubs who struggle financially because their fans don't turn up to games.

Those same clubs also sell games to cover shitty stadium deals which are shitty as they make no money from them as again, they don't have their fans go to games.

Back