List Mgmt. Who do we pick up in the Rookie draft??

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky your not in charge then.
Who are you anyway, shifter Sheehan????????????
Spelling aside, go have a look at some of Thomas Murphy's work, and you'll understand why I'm saying that.

One of O'Shea and Shaw I would have been OK with (O'Shea if I had to choose), but both is just odd. One of them is basically place-holding list spots for 2019.

He wasn't great but I thought Boeky did enough towards the end of this season to at least earn another year

Too little too late .....

Boeky showing something at the end of the year was the final nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned. It’s bloody frustrating that it took him until well past midnight to actually pull the finger out. And I guarantee that if we had rookied him we would have got more of the same old Boeky - couple of nice things with no impact.

That’s not to say that Matt Shaw or the Fridge are better players. Based on natural skill and potential they’re well behind. But I can see both of them getting their hands dirty in the VFL while Boeky coasts through another season.

Harsh? Maybe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd say the PSD'ing O'Shea was "maybe" a threat that another Club "might" take him or Shaw, and an overall statement that SOS wanted absolutely nothing to do with being stuck with Boekhorst.

Yep, he looked to have made some progress on field, in the last few rounds and he was tearing it up regularly in the VFL, with our midfield stocks the way they are, the fact that he was cut points to the coaches and list manger, not rating him at all, probably only got games late in the year to try to increase potential trade value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spelling aside, go have a look at some of Thomas Murphy's work, and you'll understand why I'm saying that.

One of O'Shea and Shaw I would have been OK with (O'Shea if I had to choose), but both is just odd. One of them is basically place-holding list spots for 2019.

I think that's basically it Jimmae. We need people to delist at the end of the year. Now that sounds stupid but it's really not.

We are gonna go again in next years draft because it looks like being good. So it comes down i reckon to SOS preferring an extra kid next year to this year. Therefore, for this 12 months they have decided to go with 2 more mature bodies to help our current list of kids and help win at reserves level. Then they are expendable.

No use drafting a kid like Murphy, getting not much out of him this year, and then him be in the gun to get delisted.

I'm sure in Year 1 of the rebuild it would have been an extra kid. But in the 3rd year, after mass drafting of kids and in a poor draft this year, it makes sense to go with 2 mature placeholders who can help with workload this year, at least at reserve level.

Does that make sense?...does to me but dunno if i articulated it well lol

With what we invested in Boeky and the type of player he was, think most of us were hoping he would make it, but he was obviously not up to it, us taking Dow LOB and to a lesser extent Garlett all pointed to the end for Boeky, also hoping for Pickett to move up onto a wing in 2018 and beyond, we now have no shortage of pace on the list, hopefully we can add a Rankine, Hill or Sam Walsh next year and be a seriously quick midfield in the years to come.

bit sad about Buckley.... I liked him, probably would have preferred him over Graham. thoughts?

he would have been great that year Ratten got us to the semi final against west coast.

our game plan is too defensive for him, line breaker.

Players like him will increase in value due to what Richmond started last year, mark my words. That's probably why GWS grabbed him

I think that's basically it Jimmae. We need people to delist at the end of the year. Now that sounds stupid but it's really not.

We are gonna go again in next years draft because it looks like being good. So it comes down i reckon to SOS preferring an extra kid next year to this year. Therefore, for this 12 months they have decided to go with 2 more mature bodies to help our current list of kids and help win at reserves level. Then they are expendable.

No use drafting a kid like Murphy, getting not much out of him this year, and then him be in the gun to get delisted.

I'm sure in Year 1 of the rebuild it would have been an extra kid. But in the 3rd year, after mass drafting of kids and in a poor draft this year, it makes sense to go with 2 mature placeholders who can help with workload this year, at least at reserve level.

Even then, I'd still have preferred to take Murphy over Shaw. JGM and LeBois have so much work to do to be elevated and retained respectively, that it's hard to see both making it. Throw in ASOS as another name who might be gone if he can't get his annual games tally into double digits.

So that leaves plenty of room for re-drafting, as Kerr and Polson might not take the steps they need to this season to remain on the senior list.

With what we invested in Boeky and the type of player he was, think most of us were hoping he would make it, but he was obviously not up to it, us taking Dow LOB and to a lesser extent Garlett all pointed to the end for Boeky, also hoping for Pickett to move up onto a wing in 2018 and beyond, we now have no shortage of pace on the list, hopefully we can add a Rankine, Hill or Sam Walsh next year and be a seriously quick midfield in the years to come.

If the word that Rankine is a lock for pick 1, i certainly hope he is not on our list come 2019.

I agree and see the sense in the strategy TW .
Silvagni has strategically used mature players over the course of the rebuild whilst bringing in volumes of youthful talent .
Wright Silvagni Kerridge Lamb Phillips and now O'Shea and Shaw have been added to help shoulder the load in the short term and buy the youth development time .
They can and will be replaced as soon as the time is right .
Next year we will most likely add another top 10 prospect with our 1st rounder and possibly up to 3 x F/S candidates along with any trade and FA additions .
The mature players listed above can be retained or replaced basically at will from year to year and fill a need until we are ready to push the GO button .

If the word that Rankine is a lock for pick 1, i certainly hope he is not on our list come 2019.

He could be pick 1, but there are some very highly rated key position prospects available next year so he could very easily slip down a few spots, GCS are pretty much a lock for the spoon IMO, think we will be bottom 6 if I'm being realistic, Gibbs and Doc are massive outs for us, 2019 should see us start climbing back up the ladder and with a very formidable young list and potentially the envy of the competition.

glad to see Oshea gets another crack! Wasnt as bad as what our board made him out to be and seemed to be the whipping boy!
Rated him as handy depth!
good luck to him!

agree

I just read the news regarding his selection. It's great for Cam to get a second chance.

Well deserved!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back