Past #41: Gordon Narrier - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Flash

Remove this Banner Ad

Zondor prefers

images
Not Flesh Gorgin'?

A little, but saw some highlights of LDU and turned it around. We need both tbh

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stephenson will go a long way to giving collingwood a bit more firepower up front as i see him as more of a marking goalkicking forward than a pure midfielder. I reckon he will be a beauty but for us would have been more a want than a need. Prolly would have thaught we would have takes cerra if ldu wasnt available.

Still miss Winnie, one of the most talented players we've ever had, if this young man can be half as good the next 5-10 years are going to exciting to watch.
When you say we've had, i assume you mean North Melbourne?
I'd seriously take it further, and say, if you had to name the 50 most talented/skilled players to have ever played the game, he'd have a fair case. I shudder to think what he may have achieved had he been able to play 200 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys have got a beauty here from my WAFL club Perth. I've been saying to people all year remember the name Gordon Narrier. This kid has balance and poise, silky one touch skill set and if you are a forward you will be licking your lips when he's got the ball in his hands streaming forward. And at 187cm he's got a real nice height about him. He can do some damage and I'm going to be watching his career and cheering him on.
what's he like on his non-preferred? If he really wants to be held in Winnie status down the track, he needs to be elite on both sides.

Great highlights package. Really excellent skills being shown. I can only guess that he is lacking somewhere else in a significant way, because that package wasn't showing me a 20 picked rookie.

Welcome Gordon! Work hard and show us what you can do!

Great highlights package. Really excellent skills being shown. I can only guess that he is lacking somewhere else in a significant way, because that package wasn't showing me a 20 picked rookie.

Welcome Gordon! Work hard and show us what you can do!

Defensive work ethic is his biggest downfall. I don't think that comes down to willingness to tackle, its more that he doesn't have the tank to continually run and pressure. Something that can be developed.

Defensive work ethic is his biggest downfall. I don't think that comes down to willingness to tackle, its more that he doesn't have the tank to continually run and pressure. Something that can be developed.
And doesn't get much of the pill....

Had no worries finding it at colts level, but disposal count went down a bit once he was put into the senior side. Obviously a fair step up from colts to senior footy in WA.
13.5 disposals a game at colts level in 2016 and 13 disposals a game at senior level in 2017.

He reads and looks like a skilled, quick, talented but flakey half forward with poor defensive application. There are reasons that he went late rookie however with that clearly sensational skill set that he has and what appears to be a later entry into the elite pathway (remembering he boraded at Hale on a cricket scholarship) there is some scope for further development. Havng a driven mate in Hayden there will help.

13.5 disposals a game at colts level in 2016 and 13 disposals a game at senior level in 2017.

He reads and looks like a skilled, quick, talented but flakey half forward with poor defensive application. There are reasons that he went late rookie however with that clearly sensational skill set that he has and what appears to be a later entry into the elite pathway (remembering he boraded at Hale on a cricket scholarship) there is some scope for further development. Havng a driven mate in Hayden there will help.

The below are averages of the high impact, high speed types in the AFL:

Charlie Camero: 13d 4.3t 1.2g (Traded for pick #12 2017)
Eddie Betts: 13d 3.3t 2.3g (All-Australian 2017)
Daniel Rioli: 11d 3.4t 1.0g
Anthony McDonald-T: 13d 3.6t 1.5g
Cyril: 13d 6t 2.2g (All-Australian 2016 stats)

Whats pretty evident is, if he can just maintain that 13-15 possession average, but develop his defensive side and average around a goal a game, if you have elite speed, it can make you an elite impact player in the league.

The numbers above certainly aren't unachievable, just need the 3+ tackles a game. I think he will find it easier getting the ball at AFL level than at VFL/WAFL level. His game is absolutely made for that over the back rebounding play.

What I really like is that he's played a lot of footy up the ground off the wing, usually you have to try and convert a forward pocket and push them up the ground, ala Betts.

I'd love to see him used consistently off the back of the square in the VFL at center bounces, how Adelaide used Cameron in 2017. We don't have anyone capable of that at AFL level and it's a real weapon.

He actually reminds me of Andrew Lovett, but he's even taller, 6"2 makes him really unique.

Betts, Rioli x 2 and Tippa are all in the 170's. He's almost 4" taller than most of them.

Last edited:
The below are averages of the high impact, high speed types in the AFL:

Charlie Camero: 13d 4.3t 1.2g (Traded for pick #12 2017)
Eddie Betts: 13d 3.3t 2.3g (All-Australian 2017)
Daniel Rioli: 11d 3.4t 1.0g
Anthony McDonald-T: 13d 3.6t 1.5g
Cyril: 13d 6t 2.2g (All-Australian 2016 stats)

Whats pretty evident is, if he can just maintain that 13-15 possession average, but develop his defensive side and average around a goal a game, if you have elite speed, it can make you an elite impact player in the league.

The numbers above certainly aren't unachievable, just need the 3+ tackles a game. I think he will find it easier getting the ball at AFL level than at VFL/WAFL level. His game is absolutely made for that over the back rebounding play.
If that is the projected role then he will really need to step up that defensive work as you say, with percieved pressure just as important as tackles applied. The chase is a huge 1%'r that can be overlooked with blokes always concerned that they are about to get pinged by tht high pressure, quick forward. With the attributes that he does possess, applying an elite defensive game will certainly take him places but easier said than done. If it was easy Gordo would have gone a few day earlier and well up the order.

If that is the projected role then he will really need to step up that defensive work as you say, with percieved pressure just as important as tackles applied. The chase is a huge 1%'r that can be overlooked with blokes always concerned that they are about to get pinged by tht high pressure, quick forward. With the attributes that he does possess, applying an elite defensive game will certainly take him places but easier said than done. If it was easy Gordo would have gone a few day earlier and well up the order.

The funny thing is, pressure is linked to possessions for these blokes.

If he tackles and pressures more, he's more likely to get free kicks or cause turnovers, directly resulting in extra possessions on his stat line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back