Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes Jimmae - people get excited about kids who are 2-3 years away from being anything for 4 quarters let alone 'superstars'.

It's kinda better than playing old hacks that got you to 16th in the first place.

It's called blooding for a prosperous future.

Any good quality mature player we have will be in the 22. The duds won't be. And the good quality ones are unfortunately rarish at Carlton.

Wouldn't have tagged Dow for a HFF TW! Included Lang, Pickett, Garlett etc because they had history playing there. I know Dow had played a bit of FF in U18 year but not sure he'll ever be named in our forward mix, rather off a HBF or the bench.

Happy to include Dow in the polling if enough people believe he could be selected up forward for us. Thoughts? HARKER ferrisb Aphrodite Jeremias Soapy V Jabba73 Arr0w

NB: we are able to change our votes should this change.

Personally I believe he is a genuine mid. May play some time forward as part of rotation/development but he's a mid

Last edited:

Forward line is really tough to pick. We've got plenty of options but most are young and somewhat unproven at AFL level.

Ultimately I've settled on a final 6 of Lang - Casboult - Charlie - Wright - McKay - Pickett

Charlie is a lock obviously. Some think he'll feature prominently through the midfield in 2018 but my guess at this stage is he'll still spend most of his time at half forward. My preference is for him to be a 3rd tall rather than a true key forward but that'll probably depend on matchups.

Wright I'd say is also a lock despite some wanting to phase him out. Ultimately he has runs on the board with two good years under his belt so the starting spot is his to lose.

Casboult we'd probably like to move away from but I think he'll feature prominently again in 2018. Mature body to help the kids up forward and provide a bit of relief in the ruck. Think it'll be another year before we can realistically omit him from the side.

I had Cuningham penciled in for a spot on the half forward flank, but given he's already secured a spot on the bench I'll slot in Lang who I had in my midfield group.

Pickett started slowly but showed some terrific signs at the end of last year and it looks as though he's returned to the club in great shape. Long term I see him as being more than capable up on a wing but for now I think he can cause some real headaches crumbing to Charlie and Casboult. He's one I'm expecting to have a really good year.

The final spot was a tough choice but I've gone with McKay over SOS. SOS misses out for mine but he'll take a spot on the bench given how many votes he's receiving. Good young player but I'm surprised to see him featuring as prominently as he is.

Third year in the system now for Harry so he should be able to take a big step forward and feature more prominently at senior level. Really like the idea of playing him closer to goal with Levi at CHF and Charlie at half forward. Some may see Harry as a Levi replacement but until he's capable of providing relief in the ruck then it's not going to happen IMO. Having said that, Grigg was Richmond's relief ruck for much of the second half of the year, so I guess anything is possible.

Byrne - Jones - Plowman
Marchbank - Weitering - Simpson
SPS - Ed - Murphy
Lang - Casboult - Charlie
Wright - McKay - Pickett
Kreuzer - Cripps - Kennedy
Williamson - Cuningham - Silvagni - X

Yes please...

Was hoping to have Dow getting the last spot in the mids (bench), but very happy with Cuninham as that option.

I know Wright has exposed form, but picking Garlett ahead of him for X-factor in round one. JSOS too smart a player to leave out

Garlett Casboult Charlie
JSOS McKay Pickett

Along with Wright, Lang, Fisher, Dow are very good options

Genuinely hope those who've already voted revise to consider Lang, who I believe will feature in our Best 22 come Round 1.

Let's see how it unfolds in a few days. Still plenty of water to go under the bridge yet, despite a clear top 6 arising in SOS, McKay, Charlie, Cas, Wright and Pickett.

Genuinely hope those who've already voted revise to consider Lang, who I believe will feature in our Best 22 come Round 1.

Let's see how it unfolds in a few days. Still plenty of water to go under the bridge yet, despite a clear top 6 arising in SOS, McKay, Charlie, Cas, Wright and Pickett.
Good call Matty

Want Lang for a spot on the bench as a bare minimum

I'm personally running with this so far:

Jones Weiterbot Simpson
Byrne Marchbank Plow
Murphy Crippa Willo
Silvagni Curnow Fisher
Pickett McKay Wright
Kruezer Ed Samo

IC: Kennedy Lang Dow Cuningham

EM: Macreadie Lamb Garlett

Enough cotton wool for BigH*. Time to learn and time to compete. He's not made of glass. It didn't hurt JoeD, D.Moore who relief rucked for patches early on. No need to do anything above compete and learn yet, but it's time.

Matty Wright to keep the young turks biting at his heels out for a bit longer as he adds a wise head to a young forward line.

Silvagni is a definite imo. When drafted, we all thought he would only be debuting about now. Instead he has 30 odd games under his belt, and looking good to my eye. Smart and bust his arse for his mates good.

We'll definately miss Gibbs and Doc in 2018 but we must be patient and get games into young talent.

What is coming is real.

*the asterix for H is provided he has a good preseason and his body is good. If not and we have to wait a month or 2 then sobeit and use one of the placeholders for a bit.

My Round One early call:

B: Byrne Weitering Marchbank
HB: Plowman Jones Williamson
C: Pickett Cripps Simpson
HF: Charlie Casboult Polson
F: Wright McKay SPS
Foll: Kruezer Kennedy Murphy
Int: Dow Cuningham Curnow Lang
Emerg: Silvagni Fisher ASOS

Will look a lot different by years end when I expect to see Garlett O'Brien LeBois Schumacher Kerr Macreadie getting games

Fisher - Charlie - Pickett
Silvagni - Casboult - Wright

Tough decisions made for the forward line. I would love McKay to knock Casboult out of the team permanently but at the moment and for round 1 Casboult is the wisest choice.

Lamb, Garlett and Lang will all feature throughout the season too.

I understand the forwards are difficult to pick, but how could Charlie not be getting 100% of the vote o_O

This. He's not in the mids or defense obviously so anyone that doesn't choose him as a forward doesn't want him in the side. :huh::drunk:

Guess that those who didn't pick him prefer him as a mid and aren't willing to waver on that. Power to them I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went with:

Jarrod P. Harry Matty W.
Jed Charlie Jack
Harry is really too raw to be selected over Casboult, but he has shown enough and just needs minutes against AFL opponents under his belt.

I would play Cas of the bench rotating with Kruz and Harry with Harry doing something like 10 mins forward and 5 mins ruck per quarter.

Jarrod, Matty, Jed and Jack give a good medium/small options and with those 4 plus Harry and Charlie there's a fair bit of mongrel as well.

I also think that it provides a fair bit of flexibility as well, Jack can play forward or back, Jarrod, Matty and Jed can do midfield minutes, and Harry and Charlie with Kruz and Cas can provide some interesting options.

eg. Cas could take the center bounce then swap with Charlie who could then run the opposition ruck-man ragged.

anyway that's my thoughts on how to change this up and build a line that's flexible and hard to match up on.

Last edited:
I'm personally running with this so far:

Jones Weiterbot Simpson
Byrne Marchbank Plow
Murphy Crippa Willo
Silvagni Curnow Fisher
Pickett McKay Wright
Kruezer Ed Samo

IC: Kennedy Lang Dow Cuningham

EM: Macreadie Lamb Garlett

Enough cotton wool for BigH*. Time to learn and time to compete. He's not made of glass. It didn't hurt JoeD, D.Moore who relief rucked for patches early on. No need to do anything above compete and learn yet, but it's time.

Matty Wright to keep the young turks biting at his heels out for a bit longer as he adds a wise head to a young forward line.

Silvagni is a definite imo. When drafted, we all thought he would only be debuting about now. Instead he has 30 odd games under his belt, and looking good to my eye. Smart and bust his arse for his mates good.

We'll definately miss Gibbs and Doc in 2018 but we must be patient and get games into young talent.

What is coming is real.

*the asterix for H is provided he has a good preseason and his body is good. If not and we have to wait a month or 2 then sobeit and use one of the placeholders for a bit.

Great post - only thing I might question is that lack of support hasn't hurt Darcy Moore.

Great post - only thing I might question is that lack of support hasn't hurt Darcy Moore.

Better mature support is definately preferable. But if it's not there, i don't think keeping playing Jesse White or Levi is much use to anyone.

The lack of support hasn't helped Moore, but it hasn't hurt him either. There are no real bruisers around in the big man departments anymore, so relief rucking young bigs isn't dangerous like it used to be.

It's not productive in the short term, but it's not detrimental to them imo.

Better mature support is definately preferable. But if it's not there, i don't think keeping playing Jesse White or Levi is much use to anyone.

The lack of support hasn't helped Moore, but it hasn't hurt him either. There are no real bruisers around in the big man departments anymore, so relief rucking young bigs isn't dangerous like it used to be.

It's not productive in the short term, but it's not detrimental to them imo.

Yeah I agree that its unlikely to change how good they will eventually become but feel like it can definitely delay them in reaching that level.

I understand the forwards are difficult to pick, but how could Charlie not be getting 100% of the vote o_O
Some of us selected him in the midfield rotating forward. that the Majority did not isn't going to change that.Personally cannot see how Murphy could be in the midfield as an outside player he is not fast just watch dangerfield run off him..

Some of us selected him in the midfield rotating forward. that the Majority did not isn't going to change that.Personally cannot see how Murphy could be in the midfield as an outside player he is not fast just watch dangerfield run off him..
Appreciate the different opinions mate but I’d say when Charlie didn’t make the cut in the mids, it was a non-negotiable that he’s selected up forward as it would be in Round 1. As for Murph, I placed him on the wing but that’s not reflective of where he’ll probably play I.e. an inside/outside role. In the future however I think he will be used more as a receiver and delivery guy to the F50 with Cripps Dow SPS and Ed the extractors.

Last edited:

I understand that, but strange that people now bypass him as a forward

My Round One early call:

B: Byrne Weitering Marchbank
HB: Plowman Jones Williamson
C: Pickett Cripps Simpson
HF: Charlie Casboult Polson
F: Wright McKay SPS
Foll: Kruezer Kennedy Murphy
Int: Dow Cuningham Curnow Lang
Emerg: Silvagni Fisher ASOS

Will look a lot different by years end when I expect to see Garlett O'Brien LeBois Schumacher Kerr Macreadie getting games

I like the fact that you rate Polson enough to have him in the team ahead of Fisher and Garlett. I have hardly seen him play as I rarely watch the reserves (so I can’t judge him yet) but the more competition there is amongst these young mids the more the pressure is on them to perform and the quicker we will improve. It’d be great if the young players that most of us have lower expectations for really challenge for spots in the team this year and beyond. A really competitive squad where every player is hungry to be in the best 22 is what will drive us up the ladder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alright, what a huge weekend of votes! Our Best 22 is stacking up nicely - with a heated, closely-fought battle for the 2nd bench spot won by David Cuningham over Pick #3 Paddy Dow. The other six spots were as clear as we've seen yet. Our Starting Midfield will line up like this:

C S. Petrevski-Seton - E. Curnow - M. Murphy
R M Kreuzer - P. Cripps - M. Kennedy

B D. Cuningham

OP will be updated shortly and the next vote - the lottery that is the forwards - will be up soon after.
Thanks for all your work Matty411

Was the 8th midfielder the extra bench spot?

I suspect the 7th will start in the forward pocket (say Kennedy if Cripps is already in the square) and the 8th on the bench (either Dow or Lang) and then there’s Pickett and Garlett ...

Back