News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

How much more evidence do you need?

The club statement for a start - which we have now. So that is now enough evidence for me, they have taken action based on all the relevant information that could be mustered from both Harley and the nightclub.

There was a bit of gum flapping in the media and Bigfooty and elsewhere about missing training, people were just as indignant at that as the incident at the club the night before. It could very well be that he had a ticket of leave for any of a number of reasons, be it a prearranged appointment elsewhere - or stood down and not expected to come in. Or, he just didn't come in and Bond chose not to address that in his statement.

“Harley has not met our expected standards and also those of an elite AFL player,” Bond said. “In this instance, he consumed an excessive amount of alcohol the day before a training session"

Based on the clubs statement on the issue, he's had 15 grand taken out of his wages - and not by the courts, but his workplace, for having a drink the night before going to work. He might be on a big salary compared to the rest of us, but that is still a hefty amount of dosh to lose even for that salary, if it were you or me we'd be screaming at the payroll staff. He's banished from the playing group for 2 months and if it were me, the biggest punishment is going to counselling - if he's like me he'd hate those gabfests.

I'm happy with this, he's in contract until the end of the year and we can't just put up a job ad at seek.com or get a temp to replace him. I can't imagine him being allowed any more misdemeanours without being sacked. I think it unlikely but I hope that 15k proves a good education for him, at least to be a better person in the long term, maybe it let's him get on with his footy career.

The club statement for a start - which we have now. So that is now enough evidence for me, they have taken action based on all the relevant information that could be mustered from both Harley and the nightclub.

There was a bit of gum flapping in the media and Bigfooty and elsewhere about missing training, people were just as indignant at that as the incident at the club the night before. It could very well be that he had a ticket of leave for any of a number of reasons, be it a prearranged appointment elsewhere - or stood down and not expected to come in. Or, he just didn't come in and Bond chose not to address that in his statement.

“Harley has not met our expected standards and also those of an elite AFL player,” Bond said. “In this instance, he consumed an excessive amount of alcohol the day before a training session"

Based on the clubs statement on the issue, he's had 15 grand taken out of his wages - and not by the courts, but his workplace, for having a drink the night before going to work. He might be on a big salary compared to the rest of us, but that is still a hefty amount of dosh to lose even for that salary, if it were you or me we'd be screaming at the payroll staff. He's banished from the playing group for 2 months and if it were me, the biggest punishment is going to counselling - if he's like me he'd hate those gabfests.

I'm happy with this, he's in contract until the end of the year and we can't just put up a job ad at seek.com or get a temp to replace him. I can't imagine him being allowed any more misdemeanours without being sacked. I think it unlikely but I hope that 15k proves a good education for him, at least to be a better person in the long term, maybe it let's him get on with his footy career.

I reckon freo didn't fine him enough-50k.

he's in contract until the end of the year
Hard to see a contract extension , Unless he is squeaky clean for the rest of his time and he actually get's on the Park and plays some decent footy , Let's say those two things happen , Any contract would have to have a get out clause if behaviour slipped again .

I think it unlikely but I hope that 15k proves a good education for him, at least to be a better person
Hopefully Harley realises that if his contract isn't renewed it's closer to a Million dollar hit to his pocketbook.

It's entirely up to him.

The Eagles showed patience and compassion when Murray Newman was jailed for 12 months following a serious assault conviction which occurred at a Perth night club back in 2012. Newman was the Eagles' first pick in the 2011 national draft so they really wanted to persist with him for obvious reasons, even when a few days later in two 2 kilometer training runs, Newman recorded the slowest times, even being beaten by his 44-year-old coach, John Worsfold.

After he packed his bags and left a WAFL game at 3/4 time without telling anyone back in 2013, he was still kept on their list and was even offered a spot on their rookie list in 2016, but declined the offer in favor of returning to Swan Districts in an attempt to try an re-start his AFL career with another club.

The Eagles showed patience and compassion when Murray Newman was jailed for 12 months following a serious assault conviction which occurred at a Perth night club back in 2012. Newman was the Eagles' first pick in the 2011 national draft so they really wanted to persist with him for obvious reasons, even when a few days later in two 2 kilometer training runs, Newman recorded the slowest times, even being beaten by his 44-year-old coach, John Worsfold.

After he packed his bags and left a WAFL game at 3/4 time without telling anyone back in 2013, he was still kept on their list and was even offered a spot on their rookie list in 2016, but declined the offer in favor of returning to Swan Districts in an attempt to try an re-start his AFL career with another club.
Interesting a holier than thou Eagles fan , Has posted this
If he played for WCE he would have been sacked by now.
They can throw all the ‘culture’ bullshit they like at us for what happened 10+ years ago - but really, here and now, that club is afraid to sack anybody not already on parole.

Interesting a holier than thou Eagles fan , Has posted this
If he played for WCE he would have been sacked by now.
They can throw all the ‘culture’ bullshit they like at us for what happened 10+ years ago - but really, here and now, that club is afraid to sack anybody not already on parole.

FFC is backing our current player(s) culture to turn HB into a top 10 AFL that he truly is capable of becoming?

Without knowing the detail of his contract it's impossible to say what his failure to get on the park or maintain discipline off it has cost Harley financially,but $25k would only begin the story. Safe to assume we didn't offer a ''we'll pay you X, regardless of performance on or off the field '' deal.
The club is committed to him having another chance to push for selection if he meets the requirements set.
Most of us hope he does and we get to see his special talent help fuel the rebuild.

Here’s one for you;

Would you have preferred he re-injured his calf’s or this nightclub palava ?

Sadly, I’d prefer the current predicament.. says a lot about how badly injured he has been.

Personally I’ve lost the faith and would flick him at end of contract. Guy must be an absolute *, he will be lucky to earn 50k p.a. from here. Enjoy that champ.

Kev's probably a little sensitive cos harley snubbed his tiges after they flew him over for a meeting - that he didn't attend.

Surely at that point you are happy not to pick him up. I know for sure if we spent money as a business in an attempt to hire someone, and they didn't have the courtesy to show up for the interview. We would be bloody annoyed and think that person is a massive flog and end up thanking our stars we didn't offer them a job. Red flags have been there throughout his entire career.

Kudos to Freo for giving it a crack, 100% worth it. But the guy doesn't value the opportunity he has been given.

When player x stuffs up and gets the book thrown at him, how do you think it plays out? Regardless of how we view the punishment he has gotten, I know if I were young and stuffed up, and got reprimanded, my thought process would be "bloody Harley has done nothing but stuffed up and he is still around, so they must not be too serious about this being my last chance" etc. etc.).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely at that point you are happy not to pick him up. I know for sure if we spent money as a business in an attempt to hire someone, and they didn't have the courtesy to show up for the interview. We would be bloody annoyed and think that person is a massive flog and end up thanking our stars we didn't offer them a job. Red flags have been there throughout his entire career.

Kudos to Freo for giving it a crack, 100% worth it. But the guy doesn't value the opportunity he has been given.

When player x stuffs up and gets the book thrown at him, how do you think it plays out? Regardless of how we view the punishment he has gotten, I know if I were young and stuffed up, and got reprimanded, my thought process would be "bloody Harley has done nothing but stuffed up and he is still around, so they must not be too serious about this being my last chance" etc. etc.).

Cuz,Chick,Fletcher,Gardiner ,Mainwaring were never reprimanded despite red flags flying every where. At least Freo have recognised the problem and not turned a blind eye like WC did. Bit rich for a WC supporter to come on here lecturing us about how we are dealing with Harley.

Agree, kudos for giving it a crack but hopefully after Simpson, Yarren and Harley we've leant our lesson and play the percentages in future.

Cuz,Chick,Fletcher,Gardiner ,Mainwaring were never reprimanded despite red flags flying every where. At least Freo have recognised the problem and not turned a blind eye like WC did. Bit rich for a WC supporter to come on here lecturing us about how we are dealing with Harley.

A bit hard for us to turn a blind eye when it's out in the media and takes up a whole front page of the local paper.

The handling of Harley's latest issue puts us fairly and squarely in the WC boat in regards to their handling of Newman. If we wanted to be better than WC, we would've taken a tougher stand.

The handling of Harley's latest issue puts us fairly and squarely in the WC boat in regards to their handling of Newman. If we wanted to be better than WC, we would've taken a tougher stand.
The Bennell and Newman issues aren't at all comparable. Newman was convicted in a court and sent to prison.

Bennell hasn't done anything illegal (except for driving without a licence) and hasn't been sent to prison. Sure he's done a lot of dumb stuff that is unacceptable behavior from a professional footballer, but it's nothing like what Newman was convicted of in a court.

Newman and Yarran's situations were very similar and Yarran was "retired" the day after he was charged - Freo didn't even let him have his day in court. I'd argue that shows we are better than WC - don't you think?

Based on the clubs statement on the issue, he's had 15 grand taken out of his wages - and not by the courts, but his workplace, for having a drink the night before going to work. He might be on a big salary compared to the rest of us, but that is still a hefty amount of dosh to lose even for that salary, if it were you or me we'd be screaming at the payroll staff.
If I had previous misdemeanours with my employer and I know i'm skating on thin ice, and then I don't show up to the first day of work for they year because I was out drinking and getting in a scuffle with security guards the night before, I personally would feel fortunate with a fine from my employer than getting the sack and not be able to keep my career and income.

I suspect this is highly embarrassing for Harley, and so it should be. He deserves every bit of ridicule he gets in the media, from the club, from the public. He's a f*&ken idiot.

A bit hard for us to turn a blind eye when it's out in the media and takes up a whole front page of the local paper.

My vote was to show him the door, but I'm very happy with what Freo have done.
I'm sure 8 weeks sends a clear message to Harley that Freo are prepared to make that hard decision if they have too. 8 weeks should tell hiim that he is no longer in RTB's mind for Round 1. And 8 weeks really is a sign that he now has to take responsibility and decide what he wants.

The questions I would most like answered (but never will be) are how the heck does FFC (and his friends) let him go nightclubbing the night before pre-season training?
I know clubs can't handcuff a player to a chaperone, but I at least thought, given Harley's past and risk, fellow FFC players and friends would have been in Harley's ear and knew what he was up to (and even been aware of his plans to go nightclubbing). Or is Harley that far gone that he either lies/hides/deceives or just doesn't give a stuff what those close to him think. For me, it wasn't the incident caught on video, it was more how the heck did he (and others) allow him to be in that environment for that incident to be able to occur.

The Bennell and Newman issues aren't at all comparable. Newman was convicted in a court and sent to prison.

Bennell hasn't done anything illegal (except for driving without a licence) and hasn't been sent to prison. Sure he's done a lot of dumb stuff that is unacceptable behavior from a professional footballer, but it's nothing like what Newman was convicted of in a court.

Newman and Yarran's situations were very similar and Yarran was "retired" the day after he was charged - Freo didn't even let him have his day in court. I'd argue that shows we are better than WC - don't you think?

Yeah, good call but Yarrans was slightly different in that he had already been to gaol and then got another 2 serious charges while a Docker. He was never going to get chances. Newman was an 18yo draftee and I think was his first issue while at WC. This was also back in the Worsfold days and we all know the s**t that went down back then. Their culture has been much better than ours since then.

Also, we picked up Bennell knowing his history and have given him far too many chances even though his incidents haven't been serious enough to be sent to jail. I just think that if we were serious about our culture we would've removed him totally by now. Just my opinion but I don't think we have any moral high ground over WC in this area atm.

I'm sure 8 weeks sends a clear message to Harley that Freo are prepared to make that hard decision if they have too. 8 weeks should tell hiim that he is no longer in RTB's mind for Round 1. And 8 weeks really is a sign that he now has to take responsibility and decide what he wants.

The questions I would most like answered (but never will be) are how the heck does FFC (and his friends) let him go nightclubbing the night before pre-season training?
I know clubs can't handcuff a player to a chaperone, but I at least thought, given Harley's past and risk, fellow FFC players and friends would have been in Harley's ear and knew what he was up to (and even been aware of his plans to go nightclubbing). Or is Harley that far gone that he either lies/hides/deceives or just doesn't give a stuff what those close to him think. For me, it wasn't the incident caught on video, it was more how the heck did he (and others) allow him to be in that environment for that incident to be able to occur.

He clearly doesn't have a good support network. From what I've heard, he doesn't.

I know what you're saying re the penalty and I agree to a point in that if he wants to pull himself together, he has the chance. But, what about his calf? He has had access to the best medical advice in the world over the last 2 years and he's still having trouble with it. How's he going to go training away from the club and at Peel? They've set him up to fail imo. Unless of course the calf is a red herring and isn't as bad as we think and could be fixed if he really wants?

Yeah, good call but Yarrans was slightly different in that he had already been to gaol and then got another 2 serious charges while a Docker. He was never going to get chances. Newman was an 18yo draftee and I think was his first issue while at WC. This was also back in the Worsfold days and we all know the s**t that went down back then. Their culture has been much better than ours since then.

Also, we picked up Bennell knowing his history and have given him far too many chances even though his incidents haven't been serious enough to be sent to jail. I just think that if we were serious about our culture we would've removed him totally by now. Just my opinion but I don't think we have any moral high ground over WC in this area atm.

I don't really buy that. There's a difference between:
  • culture and the standards set by the club including the way these are enforced; and
  • the granting of second chances through the listing of players that have been guilty of misdemeanours in the past.
I would argue that our culture and standards have been rock solid while Lyon has been coach. As soon as players such as Walters, Sylvia, Yarran and now Bennell have chosen to ignore these standards they have been dealt with swiftly - and in a way that recognises they are human (i.e. they are fallible but are given the opportunity to redeem themselves).

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink. This is 100% on Harley. Plain and simple, he's selfish and only looks out for himself. He does what make him happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back