Game Day Preseason Game 1 vs Harley Reid & Mates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on our small fwds are we happy with switta and Freddy or is there a concern we don’t have a goal kicking small like a Cameron/toby/jamie Elliott/liam Ryan who can pop up and kick a bag. Schultz was good in that way but feel we are really missing a prime walters ballaz type and not sure who can take that step and kick 40+
Frederick and Walters are fine as small forwards. Both good for 1.5 goals a game, if we can get the same from Sturt and Emmett as medium forwards that would be great, 6 goals a game from those 4 plus whatever we get from the triple Js and we have a very potent forward line

But Sturt isnt close to being a small forward. I'm a massive Sturt fan, natural 3rd tall forward, but he aint no small forward.
I just meant that if he kicked a bag maybe it is sufficient for now to have defensive small forwards because our tall and midsize forwards are scoring instead.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on our small fwds are we happy with switta and Freddy or is there a concern we don’t have a goal kicking small like a Cameron/toby/jamie Elliott/liam Ryan who can pop up and kick a bag. Schultz was good in that way but feel we are really missing a prime walters ballaz type and not sure who can take that step and kick 40+
Walters is looking a certainty to extend his time with us. You don't mention Emmet. Both Delean and Simpson seem reasonable prospects to contribute.

Keep looking for small forwards in the draft. But that is a medium term plan.

I think the better focus is to get more goals from our midfield. Without statistics to back me up, I think it is an area we underperform in.

Walters is looking a certainty to extend his time with us. You don't mention Emmet. Both Delean and Simpson seem reasonable prospects to contribute.

I think the better focus is to get more goals from our midfield. Without statistics to back me up, I think it is an area we underperform in.
I am with you re the mids. Only a guess, but I think Serong would be the one who kicks the most goals from our mids.
I see Simpson as a real prospect and expect him to figure very early in the season.If he travels this week to Adelaide, then he will start in our first game.
Delean is a different kettle of fish. He has the promise but maybe needs another preseason under his belt.I think he will play a few games this season, but not a lot.
Emmett seems to be ready to carry on from his last two games in the previous seasons. He looked good on the weekend,especially early. He add the pressure and the tackling.Look forward to him shining this season.
I have said it for some time now, we need to get more goals out of Switta. Yes he plays his part, his pressure and tackling are great, but he doesn't kick enough goals in my opinion.
I love him in the team, but....

Last edited:
I am really worried if Hughes is B22…
Great depth but, ffs surely can’t be starting the season in the team???
I dont think he's best 22 but injuries one or two injuries and he's in which is fine. I worry if after another year of development, he's still far enough ahead of Draper and Davies that he has another contract. That would not show a lot of faith in those two

I dont think he's best 22 but injuries one or two injuries and he's in which is fine. I worry if after another year of development, he's still far enough ahead of Draper and Davies that he has another contract. That would not show a lot of faith in those two
If what we saw from Draper on the weekend is any indication, we will se quite a bit from him this season.
I know some are saying he is a way off yet, but he looked good.

Frederick and Walters are fine as small forwards. Both good for 1.5 goals a game, if we can get the same from Sturt and Emmett as medium forwards that would be great, 6 goals a game from those 4 plus whatever we get from the triple Js and we have a very potent forward line
Frederick plays most of his time on the HFF. We should be very happy with a goal a game let alone anything more than that.

Look at how many actual forwards the best teams have that average over a goal a game. People act like to be a good team you need six forwards scoring 40+ goals. I'd be shocked if any team had more than four last year.

Yep, agree on the midfielder goals. I've run the numbers on Collingwood and they get 2 goals per game extra (about double) from the midfield. That's about the difference between their 93 points average and our 80 points average.

Henry was our worst offender ... his output of 1 goal from 16 games was beyond useless. Serong (4 goals from 22 games) and Young (0 goals as a mid, but only a small sample) need to kick more.

Might seem like we will miss the goals from Schultz, but most sides only play 2 small forwards, and we would get a sufficient output from Walters and Freddy (the latter actually averaged the same as Schultz). Schultz can be covered by more from the talls and Emmett/Sturt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper was emergency at least once at the start of last year. Between that and how good he looked on Saturday, I'd say he is every chance to debut this year and possibly have a crack at B22 next year.
Also got a two year extension extremely early last year, pretty rare for our Cat B guys. Club must have massive wraps on him

What are his strengths?
Agility and speed for someone his size are actually freakish and a very good kick. All very good even for AFL level and he's the type who'll have no problem transitioning his offensive game to AFL. Biggest area for improvement watching him last year is actually doing the defensive things and actually impacting contests defensively

What are his strengths?
Looked like Michael Johnson around 2005/2006 out there at times on Saturday.

Doesn't look strong enough to be a KPD tbh but for his size he moves almost freakishly well. On the weekend he seemed to read the play okay as well.

I'm not sure his kicking is as good as Johnson but it isn't for many players over 190cm (realize I didn't say which Johnson). It's still probably slightly above average btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back