Society/Culture Greens vow to move Australia Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched The Drum.....predictable panellists accusing any who opposes changing the date of being ‘horrible racists’.

Campaigners the lot of them.

Where the * do they get these people from?

The presenter - 'Australia is Indigenous land'. Looks frowningly through her glasses and asks outraged 'what's wrong with the Uluru statement'?

Jeffrey Winters - 'I'm a member of two minority groups, one being Aborigine and one being gay'. Looks as pale and European as Euro McEuropeanPerson. Thumps his heart and talks about what 'fellow Aborigines are saying'.

Verity Faith - social justice director of University of Technology Sydney - if ever I saw one, a job screaming out to be scrapped. 'Any discussion of the date turns these people into mad racists'.

Paul Bongiorno - mmmf mmmf I'm a campaigner with a plum in my mouth.

Exactly this.

Because, Jello_B as you question below:

I have huge concerns with ideologues hijacking a date change for their own malevolent purposes. BUT, it's still right to change the date IMO. When those additional arguments that you have been brought up start being made, then they will also be judged on merit.
I have concerns too, hence why I want them brought to the surface and discussed.

So you coincidentally want to do all the things that I have said, but they are not related to any sort of political or cultural ideology. I mean carn. If the slippery slope terminology is creating this blindness, call it an abrasive incline instead.
They are clearly not linked. One is to do with the treatment of indigenous people and the other is just catching up with the rest of the world. You trying to link them as a slippery slope argument is as bad as the gay marriage slippery slope arguments.

Where the **** do they get these people from?

The presenter - 'Australia is Indigenous land'. Looks frowningly through her glasses and asks outraged 'what's wrong with the Uluru statement'?

Jeffrey Winters - 'I'm a member of two minority groups, one being Aborigine and one being gay'. Looks as pale and European as Euro McEuropeanPerson. Thumps his heart and talks about what 'fellow Aborigines are saying'.

Verity Faith - social justice director of University of Technology Sydney - if ever I saw one, a job screaming out to be scrapped. 'Any discussion of the date turns these people into mad racists'.

Paul Bongiorno - mmmf mmmf I'm a campaigner with a plum in my mouth.

Yep, you saw it too.

Sickening bit of television.

If we change the date, change the flag, change the national anthem, become a republic, elect a female indigenous person as our first president, will that improve the lives of indigenous Australians? Will that stop domestic violence etc in Aboriginal communities? If it would I'm all for it but it's all piss and wind from the watermellons.

It’s the soul and glue of this nation they are trying to take apart, so no, not an overreaction.
How so? This nation is one of the most diverse around, changing a date is going to affect you how? You won't be able to get pissed and racially abuse anyone anymore?

Well the group you are characterising as lazy (the go to criticism of indigenous groups) is being done so on this "burn to the ground" rhetoric.

The group and what they are advocating for is a bit more nuanced than that one statement.

Well the group you are characterising as lazy (the go to criticism of indigenous groups) is being done so on this "burn to the ground" rhetoric.

The group and what they are advocating for is a bit more nuanced than that one statement.
I didn't imply anyone is lazy. Ironic is claiming an entire group's desires are too nuanced to be detailed in one expletive filled statement against everything 'West' and then in the same breath claim you know anything about mine from one sentence!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we change the date, change the flag, change the national anthem, become a republic, elect a female indigenous person as our first president, will that improve the lives of indigenous Australians? Will that stop domestic violence etc in Aboriginal communities? If it would I'm all for it but it's all piss and wind from the watermellons.
lol really? Be honest.

Going to answer my questions or keep running away like a coward? Because at the moment that is all you are. Someone who bitches and moans about certain things but actually has no factual leg to stand on and does it just for the virtue signalling/yelling at clouds because they hate change.

So how is it going to affect you? What possible reason could you have to be so sickened?

Because the vast majority of Australian’s support Jan 26th, and realise a change of date would just be the latest token symbolic gesture, destined to soon be replaced by a demand for the next.

None of which have any real, tangible, benefit in addrsssing poverty, crime, alcoholism, unemployment, imprisionment rates etc etc.

Because the vast majority of Australian’s support Jan 26th, and realise a change of date would just be the latest token symbolic gesture, destined to soon be replaced by a demand for the next.

None of which have any real, tangible, benefit in addrsssing poverty, crime, alcoholism, unemployment, imprisionment rates etc etc.
Vast majority? Where is your evidence for this?

Basically all I can gather from this is you hate change, you don't want anything to change because if something does change then maybe something else might and it will make you confused.

I didn't imply anyone is lazy.

Say what?

Because some people find it easier to blame the world for their predicaments rather than examine themselves.

If that isn't implying someone is lazy then I think you must have a different meaning for the word.

He just outlined the core vision between the "left" and the "right", which goes back to Antiquity.

The left believe that the real problem with the world is that the institutions are wrong. If the institutions were right; there’s nothing in human nature that would cause us to be unhappy, it’s the fact that we have the wrong institutions.

Conservatives, on the other hand, believe man is flawed from day one. There are no solutions; there are only tradeoffs. Whatever you do to deal with one of man’s flaws, it creates another problem. But that you try to get the best tradeoff you can get. And that’s all you can hope for.

So its basically, institutions can solve all our problems vs the individual taking responsibility.

The left believe that the real problem with the world is that the institutions are wrong. If the institutions were right; there’s nothing in human nature that would cause us to be unhappy, it’s the fact that we have the wrong institutions.
WTF?

That's one of the most ridiculous characterisations of the "left" I've ever heard.

Say what?

If that isn't implying someone is lazy then I think you must have a different meaning for the word.
The question I responded to was asking how could anyone SUPPORT the statements written in that Facebook post. My response was about being swept up in ideology, or perhaps even victim mentality if you want to be very crude about it, which manifests in a hatred of every perceived institutional barrier placed in between you and your happiness or prosperity. It is nothing to do with not working hard enough or being lazy, it's about not having the required introspection to recognise when the responsibility for your life in western culture ultimately falls on the way you conduct yourself and the attitudes you take. You don't buy into those messages on whole unless you're first response for all the ills of the world is to turn to the faceless ghosts and tell them it's their fault! By definition, these people organising communities of common interest around these ideologies of anti-establishment and anti-western politics aren't lazy, since they are actively doing a whole lot more than you or I likely are. I'm not suggesting they are lazy at all - I'm saying their efforts are misplaced.

He just outlined the core vision between the "left" and the "right", which goes back to Antiquity.

Conservatives, on the other hand, believe man is flawed from day one. There are no solutions; there are only tradeoffs. Whatever you do to deal with one of man’s flaws, it creates another problem. But that you try to get the best tradeoff you can get. And that’s all you can hope for.

So its basically, institutions can solve all our problems vs the individual taking responsibility.
And he spends a lot of time telling people that the truth is somewhere in the middle, found by getting your own act together and improving yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back