Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think prison would be a complete overreaction.

.. just cut his balls off before he can breed and be done with it.
Prison is more the consequence of not paying the fine.

Going to prison instead of paying a fine doesn't do anything but cost the tax payer.

Haha Gil has never watched Women's world cup soccer.
I'm sure he will be better briefed on the possible world record at PS for a H & A comp. female stand alone match ie not an international female match.

The men's World Cup is a comp. that has been running since 1930, with international single games occurring decades before that. The AFLW is soon to start its second year.
The still standing world record crowd of c.90,000, for the 1999 female World Cup Final soccer match (USA v. China), was in the USA -the average WC crowd there in 1999 was 37,319. The US has a population about 13 x the pop. of Australia.

Females have been playing soccer much more often since WW1 -not comparible to female AF's scant history.

As McLachlan says, if there is a Perth record crowd, "... that will be a big deal". It will be of huge promotional value for the AFLW & GR female AF; &, probably, a proportionately much bigger boost for female & male AF in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

EDIT (re post #7853 below from R. Ebert):

See the BF Board, Women's Footy & AFLW -General Discussions, for details on the 1920 British female soccer club record crowd of 53,000. The next lowest crowd, IIRC, for a British women's soccer match then was c.25,000. These games were irregular, were usually Charity games, & it is not certain whether they were stand alone (ie not played pre or post with a men's soccer game).
The AFLW is a regular, weekly, stand alone H & A competition.

The US female semi prof. NWSL in 2016 had average crowds c.5000 -even though MANY millions (8,000,000+?) play female soccer there.
The UK female semi prof. Football Association Women's Soccer League in 2016 had average crowds of only 1076 -even though it is also televised :& soccer is by FAR the dominant sport in the UK, & millions of females also play soccer in the UK.

The AFL can feel, rightfully, very proud on the huge growth of the AFLW in Year 1; & the growth of GR female regd. nos. (Until 2004, teenage girls were banned from playing AF; & adult female regd. nos. were miniscule).

Last edited:
I'm sure he will be better briefed on the possible world record at PS for a H & A female stand alone match ie not an international female match.

Do you reckon he knows that Preston Ladies v St Helens Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 inside Goodison Park and thousands locked outside?

when the bridge is finished

http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/projects/current-projects/perth-stadium-transport

Perth%20Stadium%20Public%20Transport%20map%20-%20A3.jpg

14,300 people are going to park in Perth/East Perth?

14,300 people are going to park in Perth/East Perth?
If you look closer you will see they estimate 8,100 park and 6,200 will catch a bus to near where the bridge starts.

If you look closer you will see they estimate 8,100 park and 6,200 will catch a bus to near where the bridge starts.

Walk to bus to car. The 8,100 are walking straight to their cars in East Perth with the remaining 6,200 parking in Perth itself and getting a connecting bus from East Perth.

I'll be interested to see how much doubling up there is. I.e. People who use the bridge to avoid Stadium Station only to try and get a train from Perth/Perth Underground.

Do you reckon he knows that Preston Ladies v St Helens Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 inside Goodison Park and thousands locked outside?
Yes. H&A v one of exhibition.
Do you think Gil would prefer 53k for a one of women's match, or an average attendance in the 5k - 10k range for a regular comp?

Do you think soccer in the UK is happy having had a crowd of 53k to a one of game in the 20s, and getting 1k to women's games in their national comp now.

I know which I would prefer.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Yes. H&A v one of exhibition.
Do you think Gil would prefer 53k for a one of women's match, or an average attendance in the 5k - 10k range for a regular comp?

Do you think soccer in the UK is happy having had a crowd of 53k to a one of game in the 20s, and getting 1k to women's games in their national comp now.

I know which I would prefer.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Preston Ladies teams played on a regular basis in the first 30 years after WWII. I have no idea of the structure of competition back then. Whilst Dick Kerr took advantage the football association administrators didn't take advantage, and regularly banned them from playing on grounds they had some control over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick,_Kerr's_Ladies_F.C.

I went to the ODI on Sunday and took the train both ways. It took 70 minutes from the time I left home to getting to the stadium. I left early to beat the rush so it was no problem. Don't really want to leave early for a 20/20.

My mate caught the 658 bus from Hamilton Hill for the ODI and it took him 35 minutes there and 35 minutes home.

I decided that the bus was the way to go so have planned all week catching this bus. I have been checking Transperth sites and there has been no mention of the 658, so I decided to call and check. The 658 will not be running to the ground, only away from !!!! So I need to work on train there to Elizabeth Quay, bus to the stadium. 658 bus to get home.

Preston Ladies teams played on a regular[?] basis in the first 30 years after WWII.[?, >1945?]. I have no idea of the structure of competition back then. Whilst Dick Kerr took advantage the football association administrators didn't take advantage, and regularly banned them from playing on grounds they had some control over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick,_Kerr's_Ladies_F.C.
Introducing the period post WW11 is irrelevant to this discussion & issues, as female soccer crowds then were small. I, & the AFL, are discussing female world sporting crowd nos. for H & A comps. You & I were referring to the UK female soccer match record crowd in 1920 of c.53,000, which was obviously very big & unusual. It was a Charity match.

During WW1, & after, there were many well supported & publicised Charity events (female soccer matches, & otherwise), to raise funds for maimed soldiers. Some were stand alone. After 1919, there was a period of protracted, very bitter industrial disputes & strikes ("the spectre of Bolshevism", some said, which was a major political issue) -where many female soccer matches raised funds for striking & unemployed workers. There appears to have been in this time (ie c.1920) NO regular weekly/fortnightly female H & A comp. which this Kerr Ladies team was involved in -ad hoc games were played irregularly. The English FA then banned female players from playing soccer matches on big grounds. Some historians suggest the ban was possibly out of FA concerns the political nature of many of these games threatened their interests, & general political stability.

Last edited:
Fans who headed along to Foo Fighters' concert in Melbourne last night were left fuming after kilometre-long queues resulted in the set being delayed.
As Herald Sun reports, lines to get into Etihad Stadium stretched back to the LaTrobe and Spencer St intersection, with some claiming they were waiting for two hours.

Say it aint so. I thought it was just us hicks in Perth that suffered logistical issues. :)
Backwater

footyfan78

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if some people (cheapskates!) realise they need to use PT the same day as the Freo $2 game buy a ticket & not go to game. Save money on their fares.

I wonder if some people (cheapskates!) realise they need to use PT the same day as the Freo $2 game buy a ticket & not go to game. Save money on their fares.

Is it valid all day though ?

I nearly copped a fine once because I was just outside a 2 hour window

No I stopped going to WC games when I could no longer tolerate the racial abuse that was hurled at Jeffrey.

No I stopped going to WC games when I could no longer tolerate the racial abuse that was hurled at Jeffrey.

never been to a derby when Nic Nat is playing then ?

Do freo supporters ever not talk absolute drivel about West Coast
Maybe concentrate on your own minnow and joke of a club

I would hope Gil is more grounded than that and knows the stadium is still the drawcard rather than the sport.

Well I have not seen Fremantles other home games looking to be moved because of the huge demand to the Craypot so it is pretty obvious that $2 to go check out the new stadium is the drawcard here.
Great for the Girls though even though it is a one off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back