Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure he will be better briefed on the possible world record at PS for a H & A comp. female stand alone match ie not an international female match.

The men's World Cup is a comp. that has been running since 1930, with international single games occurring decades before that. The AFLW is soon to start its second year.
The still standing world record crowd of c.90,000, for the 1999 female World Cup Final soccer match (USA v. China), was in the USA -the average WC crowd there in 1999 was 37,319. The US has a population about 13 x the pop. of Australia.

Females have been playing soccer much more often since WW1 -not comparible to female AF's scant history.

As McLachlan says, if there is a Perth record crowd, "... that will be a big deal". It will be of huge promotional value for the AFLW & GR female AF; &, probably, a proportionately much bigger boost for female & male AF in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

EDIT (re post #7853 below from R. Ebert):

See the BF Board, Women's Footy & AFLW -General Discussions, for details on the 1920 British female soccer club record crowd of 53,000. The next lowest crowd, IIRC, for a British women's soccer match then was c.25,000. These games were irregular, were usually Charity games, & it is not certain whether they were stand alone (ie not played pre or post with a men's soccer game).
The AFLW is a regular, weekly, stand alone H & A competition.

The US female semi prof. NWSL in 2016 had average crowds c.5000 -even though MANY millions (8,000,000+?) play female soccer there.
The UK female semi prof. Football Association Women's Soccer League in 2016 had average crowds of only 1076 -even though it is also televised :& soccer is by FAR the dominant sport in the UK, & millions of females also play soccer in the UK.

The AFL can feel, rightfully, very proud on the huge growth of the AFLW in Year 1; & the growth of GR female regd. nos. (Until 2004, teenage girls were banned from playing AF; & adult female regd. nos. were miniscule).

It's not impressive when people are basically getting in for free.

It's not impressive when people are basically getting in for free.
They gave away 50k free tickets to Aus v Ind CWC warmup game in Adelaide and bugger all turned up to that. Yes the stadium is a drawcard but it still has some impressive-ness of its own.

If people are taking public transport they'll go all the way to the stadium not add a pain in the ass walk onto the end.
Do you know all the bus routes in Perth? Do they all go from near home direct to the stadium? They did surveys and based their results on that. Time will tell but plenty of people will look at different ways to get there from all 360 degrees to get there, because some trains, some buses will be full at their stop and will leave them at the station/stop, so people will look for better alternatives. Plenty of people catch trains and buses to the Melbourne CBD and then walk to the MCG.

I would hope Gil is more grounded than that and knows the stadium is still the drawcard rather than the sport.
What do you think the WBBL final would have got if it was stand alone? 50k?

I am willing to bet it wouldn't have gone close, which is odd if the attraction is just the stadium.

In any case, AFL, A league, NRL all do fixturing to create special high drawing matches, yet people don't go on forums to say those crowds don't count.

They also were never going to play all the games there, as they are using a major stadium, but getting nothing in ticketing, it's going to cost a mint.

Just getting them to not schedule game's for weekday afternoons is a win.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Not gonna lie, I’m mostly going to the season opener because it’s at Princes Park, and I love Princes Park. I’m kind of intrigued by the new rules for AFLW so I do want to watch the footy but that’s mostly secondary. I assume this will be the case for this match. Also a lot of people will have seen the ground for the ODI so I think Gill is trying to hype it up but really a figure that high might push people away because they think it will be too full when in reality it probably won’t.

I would like to know the number of people like myself who just bought ten, in the hope of getting friends and family to come but don’t use all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dude, you thought you were gunna make nine friends in how many days? Im assuming your family have already written you off years ago :p

If it’s empty they can move around. Guess they’re hedging their bets that it’s not a sell out

Jokes aside, i think you wont be alone with this thinking. Are the ga or by seat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20180201_141106.png

EDIT: pic by Hayds (different forums)

Last edited:
I would like to know the number of people like myself who just bought ten, in the hope of getting friends and family to come but don’t use all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It'll be a few. If they sell 50k tickets I reckon they'll get a crowd of 30-35k. And a lot of them probably won't be there for the whole game.

Accurate. I stopped using mine after the guy in the row in front of me spread his arms across the tops of the seats besides him and almost put his fingers in my drink.

Admittance - I'm pretty sure looking at that video that bloke was me. Chairs were fairly uncomfortable to sit in all day, hardly any leg room and sitting next to a bunch of blokes it still can get pretty cramped, especially if you have the feet of an ogre. Glad I didn't whack my fingers in your drink mate.

Also - Apologies if I acted like an obnoxious peanut, no excuse but I don't really drink often. Mind you, I got worked up by the old duck telling me to keep it down. Anyway hope I didn't ruin your day cobber (I don't remember too much after the first innings):thumbsu::thumbsu:

My two cents. Absolutely outstanding venue to watch sport, it's worth every cent:thumbsu:

After examining my c/card statement from the recent ODI, 4 beers at a time x 12 at $40 a shout it is ******* expensive and will cause lots of people to preload.5 bucks for a mid strength plastic cup seems fair.

Admittance - I'm pretty sure looking at that video that bloke was me. Chairs were fairly uncomfortable to sit in all day, hardly any leg room and sitting next to a bunch of blokes it still can get pretty cramped, especially if you have the feet of an ogre. Glad I didn't whack my fingers in your drink mate.

Also - Apologies if I acted like an obnoxious peanut, no excuse but I don't really drink often. Mind you, I got worked up by the old duck telling me to keep it down. Anyway hope I didn't ruin your day cobber (I don't remember too much after the first innings):thumbsu::thumbsu:
Not my video mate just something I came across on facebook

If you're thinking of going and haven't bought a ticket yet do so now. It's certainly going to sell out now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back