Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

They're actually underselling it - only about 50k tickets are being made available.

why? is the govt/stadium wanting that?

given the tix are effectively free, i reckon a huge number will grab them "just in case"

given the tix are effectively free, i reckon a huge number will grab them "just in case"

It was said to allow people free movement around the stadium. I agree it's probably not warranted given I reckon at least a third of ticketholders won't show.

Given all tickets are general admission it would be a complete ballache trying to fit that many people in and doing the right thing by not leaving empty seats so you could be walking around for an hour trying to find one

I don't know how the trains went yesterday getting people out, but the buses were fantastic.

Getting there was a bit of a runaround with no direct shuttle bus. This won't be the case for most footy games as there will be resources available when they don't have to worry about getting people home from school and work at the same time. I caught a bus from Samson, then a train to Murdoch, then the shuttle bus from Elizabeth Quay. It was very well organised. When we got off the train at EQ, there were staff everywhere pointing us in the direction of the shuttle buses. We were loaded and out in 5 minutes.

We left when the 7th wicket fell and got to our bus stand as a full bus left. We got on and had to wait for the bus to fill up, which took about 10 minutes. This is fair enough. Sending a half full bus would be a waste of resources. Back to Samson in about 45 minutes.

Well done Transperth.

A pity about the result. Totally outplayed from start to finish.

I caught the train from the CBD about 3pm and it was packed but no problems getting on.

Got a lift from a mate to get home, he parked at Belmont Park and we got on the road pretty quickly.

It was said to allow people free movement around the stadium. I agree it's probably not warranted given I reckon at least a third of ticketholders won't show.
Who, & when, was the decision made to limit the AFLW crowd to 50,000?
What specific reasons were given?
Given that there are no problems at the MCG & DS -which have many thousands of GA tickets (eg at DS: sit where you want on Level 3/stand in concourse, & can buy tickets at the ground)- why isn't PS following their practice?

If 50,000 tickets are pre-sold, & other fans arrive at the ground without a pre-booked ticket, if PS doesnt have 50,000 at the start of play, can these fans gain entry?

For AFL games at PS, how many "walk-up, buy at the ground" tickets will be available for the public to buy?

For the last 2 BBL games at PS, how many approx. obtained entry with "walk-up, buy at the ground" tickets?

The AFL is missing a promotional goldmine for the AFLW, & female GR AF, by not permitting crowds up to c.60,000. The AFLW would have MAJOR bragging rights if they broke the current female WORLD record (not inc. international games) of the 1920 c.53,000 crowd at a female British soccer Charity match.
Pathetic!

Last edited:
My two cents. Absolutely outstanding venue to watch sport, it's worth every cent:thumbsu:

After examining my c/card statement from the recent ODI, 4 beers at a time x 12 at $40 a shout it is ******* expensive and will cause lots of people to preload.5 bucks for a mid strength plastic cup seems fair.
Were you in the members drinking full strength? The beers are $8.50 so a round is $34 which is what all mine were.

Given all tickets are general admission it would be a complete ballache trying to fit that many people in and doing the right thing by not leaving empty seats so you could be walking around for an hour trying to find one

the g and waverley used to cope well enough with massive GA areas. I get your point though, that it would be new to many freo/wce fans after years of reserved seating

the g and waverley used to cope well enough with massive GA areas. I get your point though, that it would be new to many freo/wce fans after years of reserved seating
Yeh true, but those grounds very rarely sell out so theres room to move. This would theoretically be every seat

A party of 6 arriving latish could end up scattered all over the ground trying to get seats. I imagine when this was first proposed, they were thinking 20-30k max, and GA would have been fine.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mistake $34:thumbsu:, still expensive for midstrength and half a pint.
Are they pots or schooners? In VIC, all our beers come in schooners at MCG/Etihad/AAMI (425ml). Around $8 for a schooner of Carlton. Considering pubs will charge up to $12 a pint for the same stuff, it's not as bad as it could be, but drinking out is always more expensive than buying a slab.

Yeh true, but those grounds very rarely sell out so theres room to move. This would theoretically be every seat

That is why they removed Waverley so they could build a smaller ground and fleece money out of the punters via reserve seat fees. They called that educating the footy public around 2000.:mad:
Their 50,000 seated stadiums are perfect for getting more money out of rank and file crowd than 70,000 grounds where the need to book a specific seat is rare.

Last edited:
Are they pots or schooners? In VIC, all our beers come in schooners at MCG/Etihad/AAMI (425ml). Around $8 for a schooner of Carlton. Considering pubs will charge up to $12 a pint for the same stuff, it's not as bad as it could be, but drinking out is always more expensive than buying a slab.
Probably a schooner but not 100% on that and is that Carlton full strength?

Probably a schooner but not 100% on that and is that Carlton full strength?
Each stadium is different. From memory MCG and Etihad are Mid Strength Beers, and Full Strength Cider/RTD/Wine, where as AAMI is always Full Strength except games that start after 6pm where there are Mid Strength Beers. (MCG and Etihad may follow the same pattern, but not 100% sure). All cricket games at the MCG are definitely as above with Mid Beers and Full others.

On the other hand, Geelong (KP) has just moved to all Full Strength for both night and day games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back