Nicky Winmar to be honoured with statue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicky is a proud Nyoongar, statue should accessible to all Nyoongar people.

Agreed. If he wasn't from WA I probably wouldn't be all that keen, but I'd like to see us create something like a 'WA sportsperson hall of fame' at the new stadium in the form of statues/plaques/sculptures/art installations etc so this would hopefully be a catalyst for something like that.

None of those ever played at the stadium.

Neither did Winmar.

All fine with me to leave the past behind and let the future decide who makes their mark at the stadium....no need to misappropriate history here...to ‘Doig Medal’ it, if you like.

but they won’t do that...

So while I can get my head around the standard Barry Cable and Polly Farmer stuff, I don’t really think Nicky Winmar’s stand against racist Collingwood supporters, while playing for a Victorian club, in Victoria, holds any place at all at Perth Stadium.

Proud Nyoongar man or not...

Neither did Winmar.

All fine with me to leave the past behind and let the future decide who makes their mark at the stadium....no need to misappropriate history here...to ‘Doig Medal’ it, if you like.

but they won’t do that...

So while I can get my head around the standard Barry Cable and Polly Farmer stuff, I don’t really think Nicky Winmar’s stand against racist Collingwood supporters, while playing for a Victorian club, in Victoria, holds any place at all at Perth Stadium.

Proud Nyoongar man or not...
I think people should disregard the stadium and just think WA, specifically Nyoongar country.
It is his spiritual home and it where the statue should be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, was amazing. Gee, he had his high points and low points. Also remember they day against my team at the G he just lost it. Think he was abusing his own players too. Franchina whom was a tough little tagger must have got under his skin and just lost the plot for 5 minutes. It was late in his career. I still remember the moment at Victoria Park as an amazing moment to witness on tv. Not sure what he does nowadays.

Yep, was amazing. Gee, he had his high points and low points. Also remember they day against my team at the G he just lost it. Think he was abusing his own players too. Franchina whom was a tough little tagger must have got under his skin and just lost the plot for 5 minutes. It was late in his career. I still remember the moment at Victoria Park as an amazing moment to witness on tv. Not sure what he does nowadays.

Was it even on TV?

I remember the two sunday newspapers in Melbourne back then carried the picture the next day.
Age reported that he was responding to racial comments from the crowd all day

The Sunday Sun though explained away Winmars gesture as him telling the Collingwood crowd Saints won it on guts and courage.

Was it even on TV?

Both were. The second one was when he was playing with Footscray.

Edit: Sorry. second also playing for St.Kilda.
From Blueseum site on that game....

This game would be long remembered as the game where Anthony Franchina (in his first game back from a 2 week suspension) would take on Saint Nicky Winmar and cause him to lose his cool. Stephen Silvagni would also kick 5 goals (the final margin) and would be the difference between the 2 teams. Fraser Brown picked up a career-high 42 disposals and picked up the 3 Brownlow votes.
About 30 minute mark of video almost fighting with Wakelin from his own team. Bit sad really.

Last edited:
Both were. The second one was when he was playing with Footscray.

Edit: Sorry. second also playing for St.Kilda.
From Blueseum site on that game....

This game would be long remembered as the game where Anthony Franchina (in his first game back from a 2 week suspension) would take on Saint Nicky Winmar and cause him to lose his cool. Stephen Silvagni would also kick 5 goals (the final margin) and would be the difference between the 2 teams. Fraser Brown picked up a career-high 42 disposals and picked up the 3 Brownlow votes.
About 30 minute mark of video almost fighting with Wakelin from his own team. Bit sad really.

Sorry. I'm obviously confused but you claimed that " I still remember the moment at Victoria Park as an amazing moment to witness on tv." Was this even on TV was my question. I've never seen it on tv, I thought that moment was only captured in a still photo.

Sorry. I'm obviously confused but you claimed that " I still remember the moment at Victoria Park as an amazing moment to witness on tv." Was this even on TV was my question. I've never seen it on tv, I thought that moment was only captured in a still photo.

Yeah, it was certainly on tv as remember watching it on Seven's Big Replay show back then. Should see if can find it somewhere on youtube.

I remember Nicky losing the plot when Brereton was abusing him one day. Have a vague recollection of Brereton saying that he really regrets abusing Nicky that day.
He certainly had his highs and lows Nicky...a troubled soul and from all reports he still is. I reckon that statue should be at the G.

I remember Nicky losing the plot when Brereton was abusing him one day. Have a vague recollection of Brereton saying that he really regrets abusing Nicky that day.
He certainly had his highs and lows Nicky...a troubled soul and from all reports he still is. I reckon that statue should be at the G.

Yeah, Brereton here.
https://members.tip.net.au/~mos/nicky/brereton.html

You say he was a troubled soul. Must admit I come across him about 10 years ago randomly. I was shopping in supermarket and acted really weird. May have been on some substance at the time. Anyway, hope he alright nowadays. Always loved him as a player.

I had a look. The only youtube I found has the game but did not find the moment on there. 1993 game at Urine Park. Reckon it was off the main camera and they showed it in Palmer's Punchline segment after it or something with another camera view.
The game was on TV; it was an epic match and the first time the Saints had won at Vic Park for a very long time (maybe a decade or more?)

I'm pretty sure the Nicky moment was only captured as a photo though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back