Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are more likely. Are 'considerably' more likely to hold anti-semitic views. And the more right wing you are, the more likely you are to hold those views.

The survey states people who identify as 'very right wing' are 200-400 percent more likely (2-4 times more likely) to be anti-semitic. It also states that right wingers in general are ''considerably'' more anti-semitic (without giving numbers).

How is that 'largely; not that different?'

Comprehension mate. Try again. The survey you posted states:

1) Left wing people hold much higher negative views of Israel than people of other political leanings.
2) People who hold negative views of Israel tend to also be anti-semtic.

You're then concluding from those two statements that left wing people (who hold such strong anti-Israel views) must thus also be much more anti-semitic.

Yet the survey concludes that left wing people are no more anti-semitic than the general population despite holding those negative views of Israel.

Go and have another read.

I seriously don't get the fuss about it, and totally don't understand why people are anti-Semitic, other than maybe they have their own religion which is at odds with it.

The survey concluded 25% of the population agreed with "at least one" of the anti-Semitic statement. The overall population classed as Anti-Semitic is 2.4%.
So in the right -to extreme right wing groups, it would be 5 to 10%. So if you grabbed a single extreme right wing person off the street, its not "likely" they will be anti-Semitic, is a 1 in 10 chance.

Would be also interesting to see how the questions are formulated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_world#Islamic_states

This thread is presumably 99% Westerners living in Australia.

If you had to live in a Muslim majority nation (whether Islamic state, secular state or other), which one would you choose?

I reckon I'd probably pick Bosnia, or perhaps Egypt. Lebanon might be OK these days too. I don't think UAE counts if you are just there as an expat, and Bali doesn't count as Indonesia. I would've said Turkey but Erdogan is taking the country down the toilet, so * that.

If you had to live in a Muslim majority nation (whether Islamic state, secular state or other), which one would you choose?

I reckon I'd probably pick Bosnia, or perhaps Egypt. Lebanon might be OK these days too. I don't think UAE counts if you are just there as an expat, and Bali doesn't count as Indonesia. I would've said Turkey but Erdogan is taking the country down the toilet, so **** that.

Malaysia is not the worst place in the world to live, i've been there and visited friends who live there.
They do have a peculiar system where the law is different depending on your "official" religion.

I reckon I'd probably pick Bosnia, or perhaps Egypt. Lebanon might be OK these days too. I don't think UAE counts if you are just there as an expat, and Bali doesn't count as Indonesia. I would've said Turkey but Erdogan is taking the country down the toilet, so **** that.
Malaysian Borneo, easily.
Wonderful part of the world, amazing scuba diving and some of the best street food on the planet. Kuching is probably the friendliest city I've been to.

Wonderful part of the world, amazing scuba diving and some of the best street food on the planet. Kuching is probably the friendliest city I've been to.

Long time ago ,did a trek up from Miri to the Mulu caves, some good diving off Kota Kinabalu, hike up Mt Kinabalu , and side trip to Sandakan.
Unforgettable.

Brunei is OK for westerners to visit, for the locals, their Sultan strictly enforces Muslim law while he gets to ignore it.

Have been told to go there by many when I next go to Borneo. Is there any other places/cities you recommend there? Heard varying thing of KK

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been told to go there by many when I next go to Borneo. Is there any other places/cities you recommend there? Heard varying thing of KK
I spent time off the Eastern tip for 4 nights at a dive resort, absolutely loved it. Eat sleep dive repeat for four days solid.

KK was ok, excellent street food along the market area - possibly the best I've had. Climbing KK is highly recommended, if you do and it's repaired the Via Ferrata option on the descent was well worth it.

I liked Kuching as a city, it's not super exciting but enjoyable to chill out for a few days. I did some hiking from there (you can catch public transport) and a kayak day as well, and visited a longhouse village. Also went for an Orangutan day but it was fruiting season so only saw other animals.

The food everywhere I went was a definite highlight. I'd like to head north too next time I go.

I spent time off the Eastern tip for 4 nights at a dive resort, absolutely loved it. Eat sleep dive repeat for four days solid.

KK was ok, excellent street food along the market area - possibly the best I've had. Climbing KK is highly recommended, if you do and it's repaired the Via Ferrata option on the descent was well worth it.

I liked Kuching as a city, it's not super exciting but enjoyable to chill out for a few days. I did some hiking from there (you can catch public transport) and a kayak day as well, and visited a longhouse village. Also went for an Orangutan day but it was fruiting season so only saw other animals.

The food everywhere I went was a definite highlight. I'd like to head north too next time I go.
The mountain is the peak attraction for KK from what I have been told and want to do it. Also very convenient travel wise as I can go on to Manila. I heard the same with Kuching that the place is great for a relaxing visit for a few days. Some even said they called it the Penang of Borneo as you can just wander all day and see significant amount of interesting stuff. Food was the best bit of Miri and Brunei. I had legitimately the best Malay style food (noodles & rice) in Brunei I have ever had and thought overall it was massively better than Western Malaysia stuff.

The mountain is the peak attraction for KK from what I have been told and want to do it. Also very convenient travel wise as I can go on to Manila. I heard the same with Kuching that the place is great for a relaxing visit for a few days. Some even said they called it the Penang of Borneo as you can just wander all day and see significant amount of interesting stuff. Food was the best bit of Miri and Brunei. I had legitimately the best Malay style food (noodles & rice) in Brunei I have ever had and thought overall it was massively better than Western Malaysia stuff.
One little tidbit about Kuching is that laksa is a breakfast dish there. Every region in Malaysia has their own style and Assam aside Kuching is the most distinctive - really enjoyed that too. Quite a clean city with a river in the middle, even went to a club one night with a bunch of blond Scandinavian girls, was treated like a rockstar.

One little tidbit about Kuching is that laksa is a breakfast dish there. Every region in Malaysia has their own style and Assam aside Kuching is the most distinctive - really enjoyed that too. Quite a clean city with a river in the middle, even went to a club one night with a bunch of blond Scandinavian girls, was treated like a rockstar.

I chose the "local" breakfast in Sandaken ahead of the "western breakfast" , Baby octopus after lots of beer the night before ....yummmmm.

Yes Asian nations and blondes amaze me.

Pics or it didnt happen :D

Pics or it didnt happen :D
I wish - the local custom is to buy a bottle of scotch and put it on their table, but they can barely drink so I didn;t actually buy a drink for myself or my guests that night.
Some kids in a rice-rocket even gave us shots and then drove us there when we asked them for directions on the riverbank. Having a tall westerner & three blonde girls in the car was amazing to the local hoods, we had to stop for many photos before we drove off.

I wish - the local custom is to buy a bottle of scotch and put it on their table, but they can barely drink so I didn;t actually buy a drink for myself or my guests that night.
Some kids in a rice-rocket even gave us shots and then drove us there when we asked them for directions on the riverbank. Having a tall westerner & three blonde girls in the car was amazing to the local hoods, we had to stop for many photos before we drove off.

you and 3 scandinavian girls drove off in a car....s**t...i won't even ask what happened next :D BUT all i can say..you lucky *******

No Scotch or Scandinavian girls for me, I went to Miri and got it on with the natives.
Ended up drinking Tuak that was brewed in a plastic garbage bin.

On the negative side , the woman wasn't much of a looker and my mate ( who pulled the cute one ), still stirs me because you could tell she'd had her elongated earlobes surgically removed. ( Village girl ). I drank so much Tuak it didn't matter.

From memory there were some Scandinavian girls on Tioman island, they drank like fish.

Somewhat related - had a laugh at this photo from the linked article.

47edc93937d8328fa1cf6617454f1d67

http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...l/news-story/b2915c87fcaffbaf1337d72345e59cf2

(Former thread title: I'm sick and tired of Islam-phobia)

I think todays comments by Sonia Kruger have tipped me over the edge. I understand there are the possibility of radicals within the Muslim fraternity but this has got to far, the bashing of this religion is ludicrous. The consistent rhetoric around Muslims will not assist in fighting extremists from within and now may serve to only inspire those thinking of causing such harm to do so. IMO the only way we are going to counter extremists from any religion or general back ground is a collaborated approach that doesn't harbour hate and distain.
Sonia Krueger is a dumb headline grabbing superficial cow. She has no political nous. The only thing she can competently do is update her twitter or Instagram feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back