Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

I spoke to a staffer about him at a function last year, the general consensus out of the Saint's is the severity of his type 1 diabetes means he will never get AFL fit and weight loss is a huge issue for him.

His diabetes was well known at draft time though.

Yeah fair enough. The merits of choosing him over Petracca will only be known in the fullness of time. Doesn’t look great at this stage. But I’ll back him to be a good player with more pre seasons under his belt and a good run at it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So basically we’ve concluded that he is a big power forward type player who is coming into his 4th season. How old is he? About 22? This in itself makes me laugh.

He won’t start breaking out and kicking 50+ until probably 2020. You’ve got to be patient for about 4-6 years whilst these guys develop into their own bodies and build their fitness levels.

Hawkins is a pretty good comparison. You’ve also got to remember that St Kilda aren’t that great a side right now, and opposition defences will work them over for a while yet.

As far as the Jack Watts comparison? They’re not even the same type of player. Watts is a lot more like Jack Riewoldt physically. That’s s truly shocking comparison. Compare him to Hawkins.

The only thing you’d want him to do this year is stay fit and play as many games as possible. That’s the pass mark for him in my opinion. The bloke has had about 3 concussions.

Take it easy on him and judge him at the end of next year.

Then why pick him?

We'll there was that debate at the time. In fairness to St Kilda, you can't judge how a person is going to react to full time AFL training. There's been a few type 1 players in the past.

St Kilda wanted a replacement for Riewoldt when he retired. They picked for needs with a high draft pick, it's probably backfired at this stage.

We'll there was that debate at the time. In fairness to St Kilda, you can't judge how a person is going to react to full time AFL training. There's been a few type 1 players in the past.

St Kilda wanted a replacement for Riewoldt when he retired. They picked for needs with a high draft pick, it's probably backfired at this stage.
Hasn’t backfired at all

Watching from afar Mccartin is the next kozitchke, surely even the recruiters that picked him know they ****ed up.

Ask me in two years. Petracca I wouldn’t trade for Martin. He is going to be unbelievable.
You trade for Martin and you become genuine premiership contenders, if not outright favourites (partly because Martin is elite, partly because I'm bullish on the dees).

I wouldn't trade Petracca for McCartin. McCartin still hasn't proven that he's over his diabetes issues, and his concussion problems may re-emerge at any time. Petracca doesn't have those issues.

You trade for Martin and you become genuine premiership contenders, if not outright favourites (partly because Martin is elite, partly because I'm bullish on the dees).

I wouldn't trade Petracca for McCartin. McCartin still hasn't proven that he's over his diabetes issues, and his concussion problems may re-emerge at any time. Petracca doesn't have those issues.
No way Jose. I love Trac. Sure Martin is better, but we may get multiple flags with Trac. In his early years hopefully and when he is martins age we may snare one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching from afar Mccartin is the next kozitchke, surely even the recruiters that picked him know they ****** up.

Kozi was still a good player who played 200 games and was occasionally great.

Paddy has a way to go to get to that level even.

The diabetes issues may mean he can never get properly afl fit as some have suggested. Maybe a bust like Schake looks like being

No way Jose. I love Trac. Sure Martin is better, but we may get multiple flags with Trac. In his early years hopefully and when he is martins age we may snare one.

You may. With Martin you're getting at least, I'd say four years out of arguably the best player in the competition (I'd say without a doubt one of the top five easily, alongside Ablett, Fyfe, Dangerfield and Franklin). Melbourne would take that and run.

Yes, we understand your thoughts on Paddy. And Gresham. And every other St Kilda related thread on the main board. You are all over them like a rash. More with what you HOPE happens than any actual knowledge of the players. This being another example.

PS you don't actually have to defend Watts any more, he went to Port Adelaide (for a third round pick or something, which would suggest how the football world views him).
Only noticed this thread had been bumped last night. Seeing Kram as the user who bumped it and the comment liked by stinger made audibly laugh at my phone. Some things are too predictable

I’ve seen plenty in Paddy to be confident he has the talent and courage to be a good player, maybe better than good. I think it’s underestimated how big a hindrance the diabetes has had on him. He just hasn’t been able to get the consistent load into him to improve fitness to the level required, or to shed the kilos. He looks fitter this year than previously and he’s just signed a new contract for a couple of years. If he gets through the year physically that’s the most important thing IMO. The form will build with a bit of continuity, no doubt about it, for mine.
This is the thing about McCartin. I understand the pick and he undeniably has talent, but the game requires great fitness and running capacity, even of its forwards. Can he ever build the tank and shed enough of the fat, which will help his mobility in terms of getting rid of opponents and chasing defenders to make it as a footballer? He struggles to make the repeat leads forwards need to do and he struggles to be able to turn his opponent inside out through agility and movement, making him look limited and slow. He doesn't rack up a lot of tackles, and averages 0.77 per game.

A lot of questions. I'd like to see him make it, personally. It's not his fault he was born with diabetes and his condition makes him look worse than he is.

I'd take him over Boyd, I think Boyd's form is fairly average for a guy who doesn't have anything wrong with him physically. He seems more suited to playing in the ruck and in many games I've seen, he didn't feel like a natural forward. Watts isn't even a KPF; he's a flanker in a key forward's body. He's also nearly 27, so any improvement would have already come by now.

Nick Riewoldt was a running freak the likes of junior football had not seen to that point - I'm not sure we've ever seen his equivalent since.

Like for like drafting is always a danger, best available with early picks for mine.

Dogs had just paid a mint for Boyd so the Saints were spooked into drafting a key forward to avoid paying through the nose when Riewoldt retired.
Tall forwards is the hardest role to fill in terms of drafting/trading.

McCartin was a little reach at the time but still need to wait 1-2 to make a real informed judgement.

Nick Riewoldt was a running freak the likes of junior football had not seen to that point - I'm not sure we've ever seen his equivalent since.

Like for like drafting is always a danger, best available with early picks for mine.
Tend to agree. Think you need to pick the best of the best where you can. Luckily there’ll always be a good mix of players to choose from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back