Player Watch #7: Jack Viney (VC) – 200th this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

As an aside, got engaged in the last couple of days too.

EDIT: This refers to Viney, not to me.

Always sad to see a good man needlessly throw his life away.

A ruck sized Viney wouldn't be allowed to play. Still amazed that he got away with his revenge hit on Hurn last season. Flying hip to the head lined up from the interchange but he put his hands up near the ball and made it look like he was making an attempt.
The one where he cracked Lynch's? jaw was much better disguised but also saw him bounce straight back up and shirtfront the next bloke who was near the ball. Shame none of the gifs getting around showed that next bit. IIRC he ends up firing out a nice clearance after decking two opponents and one teammate.

I wonder how many kids just snap quit footy after an encounter in the juniors with Jack. Played an age-group above his level and the stories go that parents in the know would pull their kids out of games against him due to safety fears. I reckon I would have swiftly noped it right out of there after the first hip and shoulder or tackle. nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, straight over the fence and all the way home.

I wonder how many kids just snap quit footy after an encounter in the juniors with Jack. Played an age-group above his level and the stories go that parents in the know would pull their kids out of games against him due to safety fears. I reckon I would have swiftly noped it right out of there after the first hip and shoulder or tackle. nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, straight over the fence and all the way home.

Haha the thought of some Viney running around the country leagues with some 16 year old kid as the umpire would be scary for so many people.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...t/news-story/307880077bcea829a740e54e072117bd

“I’m looking to start playing the week after Round 1 or the week after, all going well,” Viney said.

“Where that is hasn’t been decided yet and it’s something myself and the coaches will have to work out when the time comes.”

“It’s been frustrating, but the original injuries — my plantar fascia and my stress fracture — are fine now. It’s just these little things that keep bobbing up.

“Having lost support in my foot and running differently and putting different loads through different bones, I’ve just got these little niggles popping up every now and then.

“I finally feel like I’m over the hump of bad stuff and now it’s just fine-tuning my body and getting it 100 per cent for the season.”

Sounds like they were overly optimistic early but does sound promising if the stress fractures are gone. Once he's back he better be back for good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...t/news-story/307880077bcea829a740e54e072117bd

“I’m looking to start playing the week after Round 1 or the week after, all going well,” Viney said.

“Where that is hasn’t been decided yet and it’s something myself and the coaches will have to work out when the time comes.”

“It’s been frustrating, but the original injuries — my plantar fascia and my stress fracture — are fine now. It’s just these little things that keep bobbing up.

“Having lost support in my foot and running differently and putting different loads through different bones, I’ve just got these little niggles popping up every now and then.

“I finally feel like I’m over the hump of bad stuff and now it’s just fine-tuning my body and getting it 100 per cent for the season.”

Sounds like they were overly optimistic early but does sound promising if the stress fractures are gone. Once he's back he better be back for good.
Bolded for emphasis. Whatever these flare-ups are, seems like him and Misson don't actually know, he's relying on them disappearing before he gets back out there. Sounds like another Dave Mis-diagnosis special.

Article on the AFL website

'FRUSTRATED Melbourne co-captain Jack Viney admits he might not play until round three of the season, and even then he might return to the field via the VFL'

And it begins, softening us up to hear he will be out for the season and his careers over

Honestly though, if I'm JV - I'm getting on the phone to Trenners (or Mitch Clark) to ask him where our medical staff got it wrong. I'm then insisting on being treated away from the club.

Meh. Growing up in Queensland playing rugby against the Maori and Islander fellas as a scrawny little white boy. If parents pulled players out of games, the whole school or club would be a laughing stock. Not to mention the players who were pulled out becoming MASSIVE targets in every game they played thereafter. I find it hard to believe anyone would stop their son from playing because a midfielder in the other team might tackle them hard..

I mean Viney is awesome and tough and all but pftt

Honestly though, if I'm JV - I'm getting on the phone to Trenners (or Mitch Clark) to ask him where our medical staff got it wrong. I'm then insisting on being treated away from the club.
Getting sued by all three would do big things for the #fistedforever files though

Viney admitted that he came back to early when he injured it last year. However the medical team should have put there foot down and not cleared him to play. Of course a young competitive 22yo will say he's good to go, but the medical team should have known better. It was reported at the time as a 6 week injury and he came back in 2 or something like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back