MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Have any intestate sides actually considered building stadiums with the same dimensions as the g? Then it's not a big shock come finals because they play on the same size ground every week.

But they don't because the advantage of having shit shaped grounds and then moaning about finals is easier.

The ground size is only a very tiny part of the advantage.

You only have to look at most other sports that play on a standard size field/court to see that the size isn't really an overriding factor when it comes to establishing a home (ground/field/court) advantage.

I’m sure if the WA/SA governments approached the AFL and asked what they would need, I’m sure the AFL would provide them with the details. Shame they just went and built little ones anyway.

I am pretty sure afl would not. Today would have happened even if ad or Perth had a 100,000 seat stadium.

Charter flight to granny as a sweetener. That’s mocking and insulting.

Interesting news coming from the footy show.

Excellent. That should wind up all the time wasting crap about this issue for the next 30 years.

On a financial side of things, the Southern Stand is only 20 odd years old, first world problems to be replacing that? Can’t be that bad is it?
Yeah well you have to point to something as a reason why its set in stone now

Nothing could be done.

Its inevitable.

This is a sly backdoor deal - a preemptive strike.

Excellent. That should wind up all the time wasting crap about this issue for the next 30 years.
Agreed. AFL makes a decision, it must clearly be in the best interests of the competition and we should all just be quiet and accept it.

BTW, have you heard the rumour that COLA is coming back?

The ground size is only a very tiny part of the advantage.

You only have to look at most other sports that play on a standard size field/court to see that the size isn't really an overriding factor when it comes to establishing a home (ground/field/court) advantage.
What most of the Vic club supporters don't grasp is the effort involved for non victorian team supporters to have to go to to get to the GF to watch their team play. They have to pay through the nose for air fares, pay an absolute premium for accommodation, spend considerable time getting to and from Victoria. The Vic team supporters wake up on GF day, go about their daily routine and then head to the MCG on a train or by car, watch the game and head home..no flights, no ridiculously priced accommodation. That is a big advantage for club members every year now till 2057

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. AFL makes a decision, it must clearly be in the best interests of the competition and we should all just be quiet and accept it.

BTW, have you heard the rumour that COLA is coming back?

Mate, I'll happily let you play the AFL grand final in Tea Tree Gully if you'll allow North to add an extra million dollar superstar to it's player list over and above every other club. Silly comparison.

What's your point anyway? Do you think Port would have won the 2007 grand final if it was played at Football Park?

Once non Vic clubs start winning flags again which is inevitable the whinging will drop off
Yeah - i just love forking out thousands to go to gfs

Gws might beat a vic tenant - the second year they try

Dont see a regular interstate team doing it - you have to be quite a bit better than a tenant to beat them on their home ground

What most of the Vic club supporters don't grasp is the effort involved for non victorian team supporters to have to go to to get to the GF to watch their team play. They have to pay through the nose for air fares, pay an absolute premium for accommodation, spend considerable time getting to and from Victoria. The Vic team supporters wake up on GF day, go about their daily routine and then head to the MCG on a train or by car, watch the game and head home..no flights, no ridiculously priced accommodation. That is a big advantage for club members every year now till 2057

And those of us with AFL memberships can get a ticket (at half price) even if our teams not playing. Yep it's great to live in Melbourne.

Disappointing, the AFL could have taken a step forward into becoming credible by starting to move the GF to the highest placed winners home stadium.
I guess the only option now is to have the tenant clubs of the MCG, except Melbourne FC, play less games there.
Ridiculous you can call it a fair competition when the major price is played at a ground where certain teams play the majority of there games there throughout the year and interstate teams who place higher have to play there.
Amateur hour lives on in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back