MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - i just love forking out thousands to go to gfs

Gws might beat a vic tenant - the second year they try

Dont see a regular interstate team doing it - you have to be quite a bit better than a tenant to beat them on their home ground

GWS couldn't even beat the Bulldogs in a home Prelim. But I guess for the sake of fairness we should let them play a home GF in front of 2 men and a dog

Rip national comp

I suspect you won't be attending any more AFL matches now? Be dedicating your time to the traditional heartland in the WAFL?

The fact is that you bought in to the Victorian spawned and controlled AFL the moment you became a West Coast Eagles supporter, so whinging about the minor details is absurd.

Rip national comp

I doubt it, the national competition is healthier than ever. That's not going to change just because one game which was already scheduled to be played at one ground for another 20 years has been extended for 20 more years.

The ground size is only a very tiny part of the advantage.

You only have to look at most other sports that play on a standard size field/court to see that the size isn't really an overriding factor when it comes to establishing a home (ground/field/court) advantage.

Yeah the crowd is a big advantage too, if only the grand final crowd was made up of mostly neutrals and even amounts of competing club members

And this post sums up the entire fiasco. The AFL will always be a Victorian centric competition and not truly national.
Here are the leaders of your Victorian centric competition
CEO: Gillon McLachlan (SA)
Chairman: Richard Goyder (WA)
Board members: Paul Bassat (VIC), Kim Williams (NSW), Simone Wilkie (VIC), Jason Ball (WA), Andrew Newbold (VIC?), Gabrielle Trainor (NSW?), Robin Bishop (?).

So there are 3 victorians, 2 NSW, 2 WA (including the chairman), 1 SA (the CEO). “Vic centric” I suppose

Yours doesnt
Haha yes we do...
5K6dTEa.gif

I suspect you won't be attending any more AFL matches now? Be dedicating your time to the traditional homeland in the WAFL?

The fact is that you bought in to the Victorian spawned and controlled AFL the moment you became a West Coast Eagles supporter, so whinging about the minor details is absurd.

Exactly these WA and SA supporters complain about the death of their state comps and Vic bias but the fact is they deserted their state comps (which were untenable anyway) to join the VFL. And now they complain because the GF which has been at the MCG every year since 1898 with a few exceptions is going to continue for another 20 years beyond its current 20 year contract.

Board members: Paul Bassat (VIC), Kim Williams (NSW), Simone Wilkie (VIC), Jason Ball (WA), Andrew Newbold (VIC?), Gabrielle Trainor (NSW?), Robin Bishop (?).

So there are 3 victorians, 2 NSW, 2 WA (including the chairman), 1 SA (the CEO). “Vic centric” I suppose

Stop trying to confuse the issue with facts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time ive been there its been rainy and cold.

I wear shorts year round

Perspective
What’s your sample size? I can tell you from a sample size of every day since 1908, that on average 100 days a year in Melbourne are rainy. And based on a sample size of every day since 1994, Perth has had on average 80 rainy days a year.

Freos flag drought in 2057 will be 62 years hahaha
But youve dodged the point havnt you

Youve said that professional teams should be able to travel

Here is a list by ladder position of the teams you beat away from the mcg last year - couldnt even knock decent teams off down the road at etihad

Adelaide

Geelong

Richmond

GWS

Port adelaide ***

Sydney

Essendon

West coast

Melbourne

Western bulldogs

St kilda

Hawthorn

Collingwood

Fremantle ***

Bottom 4

North ***

Carlton ***

Gold coast ***

Brisbane ***

But yeah professional teams should be able to travel.

Except yours

Whether or not agree the MCG should be the only GF venue, you can't ignore it's a massive advantage to teams who play more than half their regular season games there as opposed to teams who play 3 or less games.

Without naming names, there's a heap of instances where MCG based premiers have recently been able to play at their home ground as the lower ranked team in GF games.

Are there any professional competitions in the world that offer this type of advantage?

What most of the Vic club supporters don't grasp is the effort involved for non victorian team supporters to have to go to to get to the GF to watch their team play. They have to pay through the nose for air fares, pay an absolute premium for accommodation, spend considerable time getting to and from Victoria. The Vic team supporters wake up on GF day, go about their daily routine and then head to the MCG on a train or by car, watch the game and head home..no flights, no ridiculously priced accommodation. That is a big advantage for club members every year now till 2057

Also there is a measurable advantage in playing home games as home ground advantage is a real thing

r225055_1295x864_3-2.png

r225057_1295x864_3-2.png

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19752486/footy-forensics-does-home-ground-advantage-exis

Once non Vic clubs start winning flags again which is inevitable the whinging will drop off
Oh there was whinging when the interstaters were winning too. Along the lines of there being too many Victorian teams, they didn't have the cash, the talent pool was too thinly spread for them all, etc. Funny how when Vic teams start winning again it's still supposedly Vic teams that are the problem and the MCG is magically an invincible fortress...

Oh, and, on topic: good. Let's shoot for 2077 next.

Dont worry everyone, its all something that is never going to change because of a Vic bias and all the arguments in the world won't ever matter, so lets all just agree it is unfair and live with it.

Disappointing, the AFL could have taken a step forward into becoming credible by starting to move the GF to the highest placed winners home stadium.
I guess the only option now is to have the tenant clubs of the MCG, except Melbourne FC, play less games there.
Ridiculous you can call it a fair competition when the major price is played at a ground where certain teams play the majority of there games there throughout the year and interstate teams who place higher have to play there.
Amateur hour lives on in the AFL.
If the interstate clubs had simply rebuilt their home grounds to the same dimensions as the MCG, any advantage would largely disappear. SA and WA clubs missed a massive opportunity by building long, skinny grounds.

If the interstate clubs had simply rebuilt their home grounds to the same dimensions as the MCG, any advantage would largely disappear. SA and WA clubs missed a massive opportunity by building long, skinny grounds.

Not true as there is plenty of evidence of home ground advantages in sports where the ground dimensions are uniform.

Meaningless, the evidence is in what they do, not where they were born.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back