Footy feuds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I was watching "The Front Bar" the other week, and Peter Moore was on it. At one stage, they talked about when Ron Barassi went off at Shane Zantcuk, and how Zantuck gave a few choice words back to Barassi.

I also noticed in the paper today that Kevin Sheedy and Derek Kickett have smoothed over their 25-year feud.

So, it got me thinking. What are some famous feuds over the years in the AFL? It can be player v player, coach v player, journo v player, journo v coach, it can be anyone involved in the VFL/AFL .

What is a memorable feud that you remember, I mean one that went on for years, or even decades?

Here are some I remember:-

-Jacko v Mike Sheahan
-Robert Walls v Kevin Sheedy
-Ron Barrassi v Shane Zantuck
-Mark Thompson v Gary Ablett jnr
-Gary Ayres v Gary Ablett snr
-Kevin Bartlett v Neville Crowe
-Caro v James Brayshaw
-Caro v Eddie McGuire
-Bill Brownless v Garry Lyon
-and many, many more.

I was watching "The Front Bar" the other week, and Peter Moore was on it. At one stage, they talked about when Ron Barassi went off at Shane Zantcuk, and how Zantuck gave a few choice words back to Barassi.

I also noticed in the paper today that Kevin Sheedy and Derek Kickett have smoothed over their 25-year feud.

So, it got me thinking. What are some famous feuds over the years in the AFL? It can be player v player, coach v player, journo v player, journo v coach, it can be anyone involved in the VFL/AFL .

What is a memorable feud that you remember, I mean one that went on for years, or even decades?

Here are some I remember:-

-Jacko v Mike Sheahan
-Robert Walls v Kevin Sheedy
-Ron Barrassi v Shane Zantuck
-Mark Thompson v Gary Ablett jnr
-Gary Ayres v Gary Ablett snr
-Kevin Bartlett v Neville Crowe
-Caro v James Brayshaw
-Caro v Eddie McGuire
-Bill Brownless v Garry Lyon
-and many, many more.
Caro has cojones!

Have I been living under a rock? Thompson and Junior?

Yeah, it happened in 2010, when speculation was that Gary Ablett jr was a free agent at the end of the year, and was rumored to be going to Gold Coast.

For some reason (maybe it was the drugs he was using) Bomber stuck his two cents in, and seemed obsessed with Ablett's plans for 2011, rather than Geelong's plans for 2010 (you know, the team he gets paid to coach).

Bomber, who normally shirked the media, went on radio shows and press conferences, making veiled references to the situation, and starting preaching about the importance of loyalty.

He refused to acknowledge Ablett as best-on-ground in a 40 possession game against Carlton, when blind Freddy could see that Gazza was BOG that day. Pettiness knows no bounds.

It was even more ridiculous because Bomber, who preached loyalty, then took phone calls from Essendon, and left to join them while still under contract with Geelong. At least Junior was out of contract when he left us.

There were stories that the two reconciled at the funeral of Bob Davis, but then, you keep your animosity to one side when it is a funeral, but I think the tension still exists today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always wondered what the Brad Hardie v Malthouse one was all about?

Ignoring the fact that Hardie is a plonker who gets along with no one, Malthouse was his coach at Footscray and they clashed. Hardie played two years at the Dogs and won a Brownlow, B&F, AA jumper and two Tassie medals (SOO best of carnival) then declared he'd never play for them again while Malthouse was coach.

Sheedy vs Jeans

Sheedy made a false public allegation of drug use that turned out to be just Hawthorn players using eucalyptus oil. Jeans was investigated by the police. Interesting for a number of reasons, including that Jeans was himself a police officer.... and then also because of recent history.

I don't think this will ever be forgotten.

Derek and mad sheedy

#themanwhogiveth-takethaway

#indigenousambassador

I’m assuming that is supposed to be a shot at some perceived double standards or something. Kickett had 15 touches or something similar across 3 finals prior to the 1993 GF. I have a feeling that it went a bit beyond racial lines when he was dropped somehow.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back